Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms

I’ve had a shocker of a thunder year so far. Yes there’s been a few storms around and I’ve heard a couple of distant rumbles, every storm has otherwise completely missed. Not even a distant flash of lightning.

It’s looking increasingly less likely I’ll be in the money for the up coming event although in my experience I’ll never say never with some decent cape values, heat and humidity all present at times in the next 48-72 hours.

Desperately need things to change soon (or at the very least, my garden does!). 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

Gfs going for a Sunday evening bang now maybe for large parts of the UK...

gfseuw-2-72.thumb.png.6cf2878bf5490e7117f89e803d547640.pnggfseuw-11-72.thumb.png.5b9daec8801878ffa23ff9861ee35c0b.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Harry said:

I’ve had a shocker of a thunder year so far. Yes there’s been a few storms around and I’ve heard a couple of distant rumbles, every storm has otherwise completely missed. Not even a distant flash of lightning.

It’s looking increasingly less likely I’ll be in the money for the up coming event although in my experience I’ll never say never with some decent cape values, heat and humidity all present at times in the next 48-72 hours.

Just one day with thunder here, and some distant lightning. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Harry said:

we havent had any thunder at all since August 2020.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
4 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

😢

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, plumes, snow, severe weather
15 minutes ago, Azuremoon2 said:

?

image.thumb.png.ac906a36dd87129f43ad278c5100e1b4.png

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
1 minute ago, Zak M said:

?

image.thumb.png.ac906a36dd87129f43ad278c5100e1b4.png

I presume he means overhead. Storms aren’t the same if you miss the cores.

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

I presume he means overhead. Storms aren’t the same if you miss the cores.

yes, I meant overhead. A distant rumble or two isnt really what I would call a storm. If we are splitting hairs then yes the last time we actually had a proper storm close enough to enjoy was in August 2020. 😄

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So depressed. Desperate for rain and earlier forecasts showed storms and rain heading towards the Chilterns over the next few days. Now changed to hot, humid weather. Not another drought😟😔😔

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and Snow

I've already had my fair share of storms in May getting 4 in a row and one of them had frequent lightning and booming, loud thunder that went on for an hour so I'm happy and the west deserve some storms! 

Although we do need some rain as it will be good for the gardens 🙂

Edited by Tobsterstorm 7469
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Plumes and streamers

Read an article earlier about the Canada wildfires that storms with more frequent lightning are (and will be) more likely as the planet warms.

however, I’ve also read that as ALL LAYERS warm there will be less of a dynamic temperature difference within isolated storm systems and this will reduce the potential for the more noteworthy storms you would otherwise expect.

I mean is there any actually support for this theory. I agree it will be hotter, but i don’t think we will end up like Kansas anytime soon

• Like 3

Posted

a very decent storm on this webcam on the west coast of France, the same storm system that is going to push into our vicinity this weekend....

WWW.ROYANATLANTIQUE.FR

Bienvenue sur la page de la webcam de Royan port de Royan. Profitez de cette vue exceptionnelle sur le territoire.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning
1 hour ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

Read an article earlier about the Canada wildfires that storms with more frequent lightning are (and will be) more likely as the planet warms.

however, I’ve also read that as ALL LAYERS warm there will be less of a dynamic temperature difference within isolated storm systems and this will reduce the potential for the more noteworthy storms you would otherwise expect.

I mean is there any actually support for this theory. I agree it will be hotter, but i don’t think we will end up like Kansas anytime soon

I've thought about this and I think, if anything, it will just push the storm season into the colder months either side 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Monday looks a cracker on the 0z GFS run

image.thumb.png.35bbab63205a71da5999bcf9da71c789.png

image.thumb.png.3ddb62a790cbe10960313cd5348e5303.png

Would be some severe weather in that I'd imagine.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
9 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

Day 2 forecast 

Friday 15:00 - Saturday 06:00

An advancing plume of warm moist air continues to close in on the UK. Theta-W around 16°C and MUCAPE around 500 J/KG fairly widespread and 800+ J/KG locally potentially may allow for hefty showers and thunderstorms to form from the SW of England. These look to gradually move from the SW in the day towards Ireland overnight bringing hefty rainfall with them in places.

Forcing looks to be fairly strong along a moderately strong PV lobe to allow some clusters to build in areas but low CAPE and shearing weakens that chance of clusters forming. Though the AROME shows these clusters do form and survive across the Irish sea quite well because of the strong elevated CAPE.

That elevated CAPE and the cold mid-level air may in general allow some small hail to form but there's only small support for hail.

Lightning is likely to be sparodic but frequent at times in the best areas of forcing and CAPE crossover. We've therefore decided to go for a low-mid end slight risk.

This sets the stage for Saturday where we continue to see that WAA and the unstable plume be more favourable for more widespread storms. However, I won't talk about that yet.

20230608_213929.thumb.jpg.68b42de8007f26dc9c4c7a9c52c003dc.jpg

No changes to this forecast but its now the Day 1 forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
5 hours ago, Flash bang flash bang etc said:

The entire point of storms forming is that the air parcel temperature is warmer than the environmental temperature around it. Also if its still warm above the surface that means more chance of that air parcel becoming the same or less temperature than the environment around it and only having low-level instability. However, that won't be a problem for us from today through to Tuesday as far as I can tell.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
2 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

The entire point of storms forming is that the air parcel temperature is warmer than the environmental temperature around it. Also if it’s still warm above the surface that means more chance of that air parcel becoming the same or less temperature than the environment around it and only having low-level instability. However, that won't be a problem for us from today through to Tuesday as far as I can tell.

It’s often a high risk game for the U.K. to get the real proper storms, as they often come with a strong cap (high 850’s and lack of landmass to sufficiently heat and overcome the inversion, unlike the near continent). But explosive CAPE stored below it. Getting the windshear is also a challenge too without masses of high level cloud blocking out the insolation! Cold 500hpa temps and high 850’s are usually the best result for many, which deliver the elevated storms. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning everyone 😊

I see that the U.K. Meto have now issued a yellow warning for thunderstorms on Sunday as well as Saturday! 🌩️⛈️😁

We all know that storms can be fickle things, so good luck to everyone with this over the coming few days. 🌩️⛈️🤞🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻😁

Could contain:

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, gales, all extreme weather really!
12 hours ago, Harry said:

I've seen 1 bolt of lightning  about 5 meters long and heard 3 rumbles all within 5 mins of each other. First let down of the year is well and truly on again this weekend. Same old story zzzz

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

Also just wondering why the GFS is showing the highest cape values in the east on Sunday, but weather warnings are placed further west. I know it’s still a couple days away and there’s a lot of uncertainty but I’m just curious?

IMG_8469.webp

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
4 minutes ago, Rufus Butterfield said:

Also just wondering why the GFS is showing the highest cape values in the east on Sunday, but weather warnings are placed further west. I know it’s still a couple days away and there’s a lot of uncertainty but I’m just curious?

IMG_8469.webp

It less capped in the west.

• Like 2