Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
57 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

I'm not brilliant at reading these, but would that show cloud heights near to 35k feet? 

Also, do you have a link to these as well? Thanks. 

Yes it would but that's assuming the air parcels remain in that space long enough for that to happen. They're on Pivotal Weather you've just got to tap on the map in the place you want to look at, only available for free with the GFS though.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

Morning Everyone 😊

I see that the U.K. Meto have issued their first weather warning with regards to Saturday’s storm potential. 🌩️⛈️🤞🏻🤞🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

As always, with us being this far out, please take this with a gritter load of salt, as is probably gonna change as the time approaches… But it is nice to see something else being forecast other than just high pressure. 

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Electronics

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Arome at 18Z tomorrow evening pretty aggressive in breaking out showers and thunderstorms along the south coast. 

Could contain: Chart, Plot, Map, Atlas, Diagram

Already correcting southwestwards on the following run, although not quite to the extent of the other models. A very marginal event for the south coast I think, with a greater chance the further west you are.

Edited by ResonantChannelThunder
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

UKV 12z still looks poor for tomorrow night and we're well within 48 hours now. I guess it could be picking up on the storms being very high based and very little precip. reaching the ground? Although, saying that, it's shown very high reflectivity for many past elevated events. Awaiting Dan's Friday outlook for concrete info!

• Like 1

Posted

Thanks to Meteociel for adding the SHARPpy soundings for the ARGEGE, AROME and WRF. Here's a select few soundings for the weekend. Most of them are for me except the last one which is for the Welsh border ish on Saturday.

Could contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, PlotCould contain: Chart, Plot

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

http://www.convectiveweather.co.uk/forecast.php?date=2023-06-10

The words "Nodrog" and "nighttime lightning display video" spring to mind here:

...evening/night, substantial CAPE will persist given the now mixed layer in the low/mid-levels, and with strengthening 600-850hPa flow through the evening this will advect more rapidly northwestwards across the Irish Sea and perhaps NW England,...

Colour me excited 🙂

• Like 6

Posted

A bit of a shift away from an outbreak on this afternoons higher resolution models it has to be said, they all look less impressive than they did on previous runs. Although most still havw some decent activity in the SW portion of the country and into Ireland

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
7 minutes ago, kold weather said:

A bit of a shift away from an outbreak on this afternoons higher resolution models it has to be said, they all look less impressive than they did on previous runs. Although most still havw some decent activity in the SW portion of the country and into Ireland

Yeah looks like the drought will carry on for most.

Makes you wonder when we’ll next see widespread rainfall. Looking at the UKMO/GEM etc the next 7-10 at least looks devoid of it.

Another 4 weeks or so of this pattern and I can see hosepipe bans being implemented, especially with water demand increasing with the temperatures.

Edited by CreweCold
  • Like 4

Posted
35 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Yeah looks like the drought will carry on for most.

Makes you wonder when we’ll next see widespread rainfall. Looking at the UKMO/GEM etc the next 7-10 at least looks devoid of it.

Another 4 weeks or so of this pattern and I can see hosepipe bans being implemented, especially with water demand increasing with the temperatures.

Sunday may be interesting in our neck of the woods.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, anything interesting

The potential for us looks best on Sunday, but they look like they’re going to be quite isolated. I’m not going to get my hopes up until I know something is coming my way.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

I wouldn't say they have shifted away, seems similar to those earlier. There's a significant CAP in the low levels, that requires a temperature of 26/27 to overcome. 

I believe models are struggling with the convection, as they are likely to be mid-layer showers, so it's likely that they maybe underestimating convection. 

The UKV 15z has come out - some showers in the channel Islands tomorrow night, but nothing significantly different from the previous run (maybe a risk of a downpour in the Central Southern areas tomorrow afternoon). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

We are a month without rain here in Exeter and as much as I am loving to warm sunny weather I was looking forward to a good few thunderstorms with torrential rain, looking at the weather forecasts it’s not looking promising currently but maybe we’ll be surprised 

25 minutes ago, pad199207 said:

West is best for storms too now is it? 😯

I’d say wales, midlands and northeast England, we don’t get thunderstorms here in Exeter all that often 

Posted
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

Just to add ukv once again has no where near as many storms as the gfs!!could be a nice heatwave this for a lot of us!!!

Boo. Could do with something to break up the ongoing high pressure saga and we need the rain as things are getting increasingly dry. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
38 minutes ago, Jamie M said:

Could contain: Nature, Outdoors, Land, Sea, Water, Hurricane, Storm

Lovely stuff

Tad further east and it'll be better 🙂

• Like 1

Posted

Saturday and Sunday are certainly looking interesting. Although looks like if anythings going to happen it'll be later on. 

What i'm not looking forward to is the stifling evenings between, but there usually a good sign that storms aren't far off 😄 

• Like 1

Posted

Day 2 forecast 

Friday 15:00 - Saturday 06:00

An advancing plume of warm moist air continues to close in on the UK. Theta-W around 16°C and MUCAPE around 500 J/KG fairly widespread and 800+ J/KG locally potentially may allow for hefty showers and thunderstorms to form from the SW of England. These look to gradually move from the SW in the day towards Ireland overnight bringing hefty rainfall with them in places.

Forcing looks to be fairly strong along a moderately strong PV lobe to allow some clusters to build in areas but low CAPE and shearing weakens that chance of clusters forming. Though the AROME shows these clusters do form and survive across the Irish sea quite well because of the strong elevated CAPE.

That elevated CAPE and the cold mid-level air may in general allow some small hail to form but there's only small support for hail.

Lightning is likely to be sparodic but frequent at times in the best areas of forcing and CAPE crossover. We've therefore decided to go for a low-mid end slight risk.

This sets the stage for Saturday where we continue to see that WAA and the unstable plume be more favourable for more widespread storms. However, I won't talk about that yet.

20230608_213929.thumb.jpg.68b42de8007f26dc9c4c7a9c52c003dc.jpg

• Like 5

Posted

Starting to look very interesting from Saturday afternoon into late on Sunday for anyone fortunate enough to be living in the west Midlands and Shropshire and into the Welsh marshes. 

Just now, Peachy said:

Starting to look very interesting from Saturday afternoon into late on Sunday for anyone fortunate enough to be living in the west Midlands and Shropshire and into the Welsh marches

Posted

One thing I look out for is a sudden stirring of wind, often heralds arrival if a downpour.

Convective thunderstorms rather than frontal are notoriously diificult to predict.

We will have enough heat to trigger them, but lots of other factors.

As always a case, look at the sky and see where any large towering dark clouds are building.

In classic situations yesteryear I would look to the SW and the ominous dark grey marching its way towards me, then the heavens open, often happened around the 4-5pm mark, peak heat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2