Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - June 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
7 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

According to those graphs i just miss out today but im on the edge so i could still see some distant lightning which can be just as dramatic!!

Was thinking same for here, Telford/Gnosall best placed, like for snow in winter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes

Y’all think it’s worth staying up. In Eastbourne and there is a risk for imports but confidence is low

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy

Looks very much like a repeat of June and August 2020 this setup. 
Just stepped outside now, and it felt like I had stepped off a plane in Italy or Greece! Very warm from the get go. If I get the chance, I might try and head towards the midlands later and try and get some shots of what could be some epic unimpeded views of CB’s and hopefully some decent lightning. The main area I’d go for if I was to really push the distance would be Birmingham / Stoke / Chester areas. 

However, as it’s high risk, and CAPE looks positively nuts, this may well be justified. I’ll see. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
13 minutes ago, Thunders said:

Y’all think it’s worth staying up. In Eastbourne and there is a risk for imports but confidence is low

As it stands, no. There's nothing on any model that tells me we have anything more than a <1% chance down here, so I'm not even planning to charge my camera batteries!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms/Clear and Frosty/Snow Showers
37 minutes ago, Supacell said:

Not often we see a high risk from Convective Weather. I will be heading north west into the high risk zone this afternoon.

I’m camping out in the garden tonight with my 8 year old lad. So I can guarantee we will get a storm and ruin the bbq.🙄

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Eye to the sky said:

I’m camping out in the garden tonight with my 8 year old lad. So I can guarantee we will get a storm and ruin the bbq.🙄

Hope you have a nice time!

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, hurricanes, and my favourite tornadoes
5 minutes ago, ResonantChannelThunder said:

As it stands, no. There's nothing on any model that tells me we have anything more than a <1% chance down here, so I'm not even planning to charge my camera batteries!

Yeah, just gotta wait for the plumes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Eye to the sky said:

Hopefully they'll miss you and you and the lad can enjoy a warm, balmy evening 🙂. The risk does look much lower for our homelands so you should be ok. I have friends and family at Download who are hoping the storms miss there too. 

Our chances get higher later tomorrow and Monday. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sheikhy said:

According to those graphs i just miss out today but im on the edge so i could still see some distant lightning which can be just as dramatic!!

You need to do what me and Supacell do and jump in the car and chase those storms. Trust me there's nothing like it.

• Like 2

Looks like a fun day today. Stay safe if you get caught in it or are out chasing. I debated it today but I'm going to stay put and look forward to the greater risk here in the next couple of days. Hopefully a colourful radar this afternoon!

Posted
5 minutes ago, Peachy said:

You need to do what me and Supacell do and jump in the car and chase those storms. Trust me there's nothing like it.

Oooh yeeaah!!!!!!latest ukv breaks out storms to the east of me between 1 and 2pm!!im still in the game as it stands🫵!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Oooh yeeaah!!!!!!latest ukv breaks out storms to the east of me between 1 and 2pm!!im still in the game as it stands🫵!!!!

one run and one model so I would advise caution and temper your hopes and expectations to avoid disappointment 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
14 minutes ago, sheikhy said:

Hoping this might be the case, as they’ll likely be more discrete and make for fantastic viewing. 
I’m probably going to bet on the initiation happening around Birmingham though and maybe up towards the peaks, due to favourable Orographical lifting helping to trigger things, and then expanding towards Stoke and Cheshire, which in my opinion will be the sweet spots later on. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, Gordon Webb said:

one run and one model so I would advise caution and temper your hopes and expectations to avoid disappointment 

Yeh im not expecting anything to be fair but at least it keeps me in the game lol!!!!

Posted

I'll be setting up overlooking the Cheshire Plain from this side of the western Peak District once initiation begins, given the cloud bases are forecast on the SKEW-T to be at moderate heights then visibility shouldn't be too much of a issue anyway and if things move more easterly then i've got that covered. Storm-Structure rather than being stuck in torrential downpours (from a photographic perspective) is what i'm aiming for today as tomorrow looks to be a 'hit' without needing to venture too far from home.

Good luck all.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, hail, lightning

I know convective rain can hit and miss but why is there a small gap around Congleton?

Could contain:

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, East_England_Stormchaser91 said:

Hoping this might be the case, as they’ll likely be more discrete and make for fantastic viewing. 
I’m probably going to bet on the initiation happening around Birmingham though and maybe up towards the peaks, due to favourable Orographical lifting helping to trigger things, and then expanding towards Stoke and Cheshire, which in my opinion will be the sweet spots later on. 

Yes, unusually we seem to be in the centre of things here in S Cheshire. I shall be interested to see what happens outside later on, but more interested in seeing what happens in Istanbul later this evening!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
7 minutes ago, Tamsin said:

I know convective rain can hit and miss but why is there a small gap around Congleton?

Could contain:

Looks like an issue with your storm shield revealing itself so you'll need to fix the cloaking device.

Wall to wall hazy sunshine here not expecting anything bar music from radios and barbies during this afternoon.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Thunders said:

I suspect Dan may issue a revised forecast later if he feels confidence has improved the risk of overnighters across the S/SE. CAPE remains in situ overnight and a fresh pulse is suggested to move in by the WRF-NMM, but this model doesn’t break out any rain. AROME however does break out pocket showers/downpours. I would not be remotely surprised if we do see the odd storm overnight, but I won’t be staying up 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
17 minutes ago, Tamsin said:

Could contain:

IMG_1243.webp

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1