Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Autumn 2023

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
11 minutes ago, stewfox said:

I remember in late October snow being on the ground for nearly 24hrs in High Wycombe.  I think early 2000s ?

Would have been 2008 I reckon. I was in Northampton at the time and we got settling snow from a cold northerly at the end of the month.

I also saw snow in late 2012 when in Hull and some snow showers at the end of October 2018 as well. Can't recall other instances. October 2003 was frosty but I can't recall snowfall.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 minute ago, Derecho said:

Would have been 2008 I reckon. I was in Northampton at the time and we got settling snow from a cold northerly at the end of the month.

I also saw snow in late 2012 when in Hull and some snow showers at the end of October 2018 as well. Can't recall other instances. October 2003 was frosty but I can't recall snowfall.

30th October 2000 produced proper frontal snow on the back edge which settled in Yorkshire. 2012 saw a light overnight shower. Others have claimed snow in 2008 and 2010 though nothing here i think. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers
1 minute ago, summer blizzard said:

30th October 2000 produced proper frontal snow on the back edge which settled in Yorkshire. 2012 saw a light overnight shower. Others have claimed snow in 2008 and 2010 though nothing here i think. 

Ah was too young to remember 2000 or it all fell as rain here! I can recall the school fields being flooded though. I think 2010 had a few chilly northerly days as well but nothing producing snow.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Derecho said:

Ah was too young to remember 2000 or it all fell as rain here! I can recall the school fields being flooded though. I think 2010 had a few chilly northerly days as well but nothing producing snow.

I don't believe it was forecast but there was snow on the ground as i was leaving for Middle School. 

FAX charts suggest the 31st as i recall a storm a day or two previously and they show a north westerly afterwards (a mighty secondary low - it was the thing without a number undernearth 972mb). 

BRA_1_2000102900_45.png
Strengthens from about 1004mb to 976mb as it approaches Ireland.
BRA_1_2000103000_45.png

Then it merges into the wider cyclonic complex.
BRA_1_2000103100_45.png

But yeah, as it passed through on the morning of the 31st it must have produced. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

Loving this weather, hoping it continues like this throughout October if the weather gods allow, slightly makes up for most of spring and most of summer which overall felt below average

I have to tell you having those six weeks of warm sunny weather from mid May was heaven, reliable warmth and sun for weeks on end and we got to experience what it felt like to have a long protracted spell of useable weather in the south west like I imagine they experience more in most of mainland Europe in spring/summer. Whilst I wouldn’t call our climate in the south west as dank, dull and cool we do still suffer from changeable weather at times so can never plan anything too in advance, it’s still 50/50…Selfishly I’d love the whole of October to be warm and sunny, would like cold weather to wait until November that way be can have a smaller window of time we need to stick the central heating on 😊

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Another mild day here with a tolerable southerly breeze. Promising outlook for this weekend with usable warmth. Crazy to think that October is looking much better than most of July for warm fans.

• Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Derecho said:

Nothing in this area in 2000, 2008 or 2010. 2012 had a few showers as you say, though all of those missed me.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

• Thanks 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Loving this weather, hoping it continues like this throughout October if the weather gods allow, slightly makes up for most of spring and most of summer which overall felt below average

I have to tell you having those six weeks of warm sunny weather from mid May was heaven, reliable warmth and sun for weeks on end and we got to experience what it felt like to have a long protracted spell of useable weather in the south west like I imagine they experience more in most of mainland Europe in spring/summer. Whilst I wouldn’t call our climate in the south west as dank, dull and cool we do still suffer from changeable weather at times so can never plan anything too in advance, it’s still 50/50…Selfishly I’d love the whole of October to be warm and sunny, would like cold weather to wait until November that way be can have a smaller window of time we need to stick the central heating on 😊

With all the mention of Indian summers lately I do wonder if it'll come in November instead. Since frost is basically impossible in the first half of October as things stand.

• Like 1

Posted
48 minutes ago, stewfox said:

I remember in late October snow being on the ground for nearly 24hrs in High Wycombe.  I think early 2000s ?

2008. I was at uni in Hatfield and went out to meet a friend at the pub, with the TV weather forecasting rain and a bit of sleet over the hills. Then a good few cm of snow came down.

Edited by MattStoke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
9 minutes ago, danm said:

Outlook from the 10 day trend. 

Very warm for many on Saturday and Sunday, but a lot of rain for Scotland on Friday and Saturday, with weather warnings issued:

Screenshot2023-10-04at15_04_21.thumb.png.d6a68f17683ac854c9f09aa47f6b7fe0.png

Screenshot2023-10-04at15_01_47.thumb.png.7263bc1f226d0191b7c03f265e8e96bc.png

Screenshot2023-10-04at15_02_23.thumb.png.0a7fb1e9b5821bdc0d4c03402f10f9d5.png

Screenshot2023-10-04at15_01_57.thumb.png.d9619718d0d49c33f7b166b92c2834dc.png

Screenshot2023-10-04at15_02_08.thumb.png.12c71117f79967ed0d539008ddd705d3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow
19 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

With all the mention of Indian summers lately I do wonder if it'll come in November instead. Since frost is basically impossible in the first half of October as things stand.

September was only slightly above average for sunshine in most of the south, though probably felt more like an Indian summer in the south east, rain was more than double in some areas (my area included thanks to the torrential downpours we had) max temps were couple degrees celsius above so whilst it was overall fairly pleasant I wouldn’t call it an Indian summer personally, think the sunshine amounts would have needed to be higher for me personally to feel like it was proper Indian summer, hoping October shows the goods ☀️ 🤞

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
1 hour ago, summer blizzard said:

There was a more recent October that had a flurry overnight here, I think it was 2018? 

Posted
31 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

September was only slightly above average for sunshine in most of the south, though probably felt more like an Indian summer in the south east, rain was more than double in some areas (my area included thanks to the torrential downpours we had) max temps were couple degrees celsius above so whilst it was overall fairly pleasant I wouldn’t call it an Indian summer personally, think the sunshine amounts would have needed to be higher for me personally to feel like it was proper Indian summer, hoping October shows the goods ☀️ 🤞

Fingers crossed. It would seem the analogs for the incoming winter have changed also, supposedly closer to one of the warmer winters on record (which was in the 1870s odd enough).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

looks great, but feel fog a problem? not windy enough

image.thumb.png.5d2ca7d6f1daebf8d8b27ff361dba8c6.png

But good for the October Fog Index! 👍

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
8 hours ago, SunSean said:

Have to confess, I am also one who wears short and t-shirts all year, even in a sunny January day at 3c lol. There's something about the icy breeze mixed with sunshine that feels great!

Your dark secret is out at last!😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, razorgrain said:

Models seem to be going through a phase again... 

I'll have some of whatever the GFS is on thanks 😄

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A cold frosty November would be good, with many crisp sunny days. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Autumn increasingly feels our shortest season. Summer extending long into Sept and then taking an age for true autumn to arrive. By November it feels like winter. Last 2 weeks of Oct only seem to have the deep autumn feel. I think christmas starting earlier and earlier in Nov kills it dead fast unfortunately, though Nov is fast becoming the month for autumn colour due to the late start.

Expect autumnwatch to talk about how late it is this year and wildlife and nature confused. 

Mind its been a confusing 4 months all round, July felt more autumnal than Sept. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: despite my username, I like warm weather :)

We just had the warmest September on record here in Estonia but its payback time now... The weather right now is dreadful... strong winds and heavy rain . On the weekend it looks like we are going to have our first single digit temperatures 😕  I was hoping we could avoid those until the second half of the month.... oh well. I wouldn't mind too much if the colder temperatures came with clear frosty nights and sunny days, but it seems like it will still be windy and showery.  

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, IcySpicy said:

We just had the warmest September on record here in Estonia but its payback time now... The weather right now is dreadful... strong winds and heavy rain . On the weekend it looks like we are going to have our first single digit temperatures 😕  I was hoping we could avoid those until the second half of the month.... oh well. I wouldn't mind too much if the colder temperatures came with clear frosty nights and sunny days, but it seems like it will still be windy and showery.  

Oh yes NE Europe set to see its first autumnal chill of the season. I see a snowflake for Moscow early next week.

The first single digit day max for England seems a long way off, but a northerly by mid Oct can easily deliver such a day, especially to the north. 

• Like 1