Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

The poor summer haters club

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Hello everyone, 

Seeing as Cloud (or more accurately in this case, Clag) is a near-permanent fixture of our sky for many people in the country this year, as well as something that dominates our climate for approximately 340 days a year, I thought I'd create a "Cloud Haters' Club" thread where we can all voice our concerns with the presence of current cloud/clag, or potentially incoming cloud/clag.

In the meantime keep popping those Vitamin D tablets folks! Cos god knows we aren't getting any naturally! 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted

Sign me up mate.

I hate these cloudy conditions with a passion. It’s the most tedious boring and depressing type of weather one can possibly imagine.

If it stays like this for the summer, this will be a very poor one, even if it’s above average temps. No sun means no summer in my book.

• Like 3

Posted

I'm with you. I don't mind that wispy high up cloud and vapour trails or even the odd cotton wool cloud dotted about. But this thick grey stuff combined with a NE/E wind just makes it feel cold. And I just hate cold more than anything. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
7 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Sign me up mate.

I hate these cloudy conditions with a passion. It’s the most tedious boring and depressing type of weather one can possibly imagine.

If it stays like this for the summer, this will be a very poor one, even if it’s above average temps. No sun means no summer in my book.

Indeed, the issue this year particularly is the combination of constant cloud AND subdued temps. We generally have quite a warm/humid feel to the air by June so even if it's cloudy you don't feel cold. 

But this year is a different story. Really struggling to reach 20c anywhere away from the Western areas. 

Alexisj from Dover mentioned that they haven't even recorded a single 20c day this year... which is actually shocking 

Posted
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm with you. I don't mind that wispy high up cloud and vapour trails or even the odd cotton wool cloud dotted about. But this thick grey stuff combined with a NE/E wind just makes it feel cold. And I just hate cold more than anything. 

Wispy clouds are fine and add a pretty aspect to a skyscape but this just blankets the horizon in endless grey, it's grim. 

Many people across the world wouldn't even recognise this as "cloud" at all, and would be confused as to why there isn't a single ounce of blue for days on end. It's quite a unique thing to places in Northern Europe. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Finally, the most appropriate club for this country is created! Surprised it wasn't made the day upon the forums creation 😂

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Indeed, the issue this year particularly is the combination of constant cloud AND subdued temps. We generally have quite a warm/humid feel to the air by June so even if it's cloudy you don't feel cold. 

But this year is a different story. Really struggling to reach 20c anywhere away from the Western areas. 

Alexisj from Dover mentioned that they haven't even recorded a single 20c day this year... which is actually shocking 

Awful. I reckon for spring/summer 2023 so far there have been 99 days. So far here in my location: 

Days above 22c = 0

Days reached 22c = 1

Days 21c or below = 98

The lack of warmth has been an issue for me with winds mainly from the N NE or E for most of the time and the cloud incursions keeping a lid on temperatures. 

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, SunSean said:

Finally, the most appropriate club for this country is created! Surprised it wasn't made the day upon the forums creation 😂

It does beg the question, especially seeing as we have a heat-haters club where people bemoan the oppressiveness of a potential 25c day incoming 😂

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Where’s the pastries? 

I told you not to come empty handed!

You had too many in the beer garden again.

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Welcome mate. Close the door behind you. Markyo isn’t invited, as he didn’t make the shortlist. 

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

I agree with you about it being cloudy in years gone by line 2019 or 20, and it would still be relatively warm and humid, so would still feel summery.

2023 feels like June 1991 or almost on a par with 1987.

1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

It does beg the question, especially seeing as we have a heat-haters club where people bemoan the oppressiveness of a potential 25c day incoming 😂

It’s pathetic isn’t it 🤣

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

I hate cloud that ruins what should be a good day but don’t mind many types of cloud. Stratiform cloud is the worst for me. I quite like cumuliform clouds that don’t spread out too much, and cirrus clouds that don’t spread out and dilute the sun. My favourite clouds are of course cumulonimbus, mammatus and plumey altocumulus.

Overall, however, this country experiences far too much featureless cloud. Dry, calm days with white/grey sky under anticyclonic conditions may as well be sunny in my opinion, whatever the month.

• Like 3

Posted
21 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I hate cloud that ruins what should be a good day but don’t mind many types of cloud. Stratiform cloud is the worst for me. I quite like cumuliform clouds that don’t spread out too much, and cirrus clouds that don’t spread out and dilute the sun. My favourite clouds are of course cumulonimbus, mammatus and plumey altocumulus.

Overall, however, this country experiences far too much featureless cloud. Dry, calm days with white/grey sky under anticyclonic conditions may as well be sunny in my opinion, whatever the month.

I agree, I actually like those whispy Cirrus clouds and all the cool shapes they come in- Even saw one that looked like a pair of angels wings last year! Fair weather Cumulus clouds are all good too- unless they develop into the dreaded Stratocumulus! As for these grey sheets? Hell no.

• Like 3

Posted

I personally don't mind cloud but day after day of low hanging cloud really can get a bit depressing. I've been actually lucky and often have seen that cloud bank to the north after it lifts out reasonably early (usually between 9-10am here).

When i used to live in S.Essex I was well versed with the north sea clag though!

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A very apt thread for the UK! I must say I don’t hate all cloud, especially cumulonimbus, anything plumey, some higher level clouds can be beautiful too. I’ve got an allergic reaction to North Sea clag though! And all the pointless cloud the UK gets that doesn’t do anything but ruin so many days. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 2

Posted

Attention clag/cloud haters - blue has appeared in the South East! Not hot, but the sun is showing itself at least 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

It really is the lingeringness of thick grey cloud for days on end that gets to me. I can handle it for a day or 2, perhaps more in autumn and winter Anything more than that is depressing. The particular cloud setup we've had the last few weeks has been notable. Very sheet-like which means you go from leaden grey skies to crystal blue in a matter of minutes. Quite something. 

• Like 2

Posted

It's back. Was it the Chinese during the Olympics who had some sort of aircraft spraying stuff on clouds and making them disperse to make it look like it was sunny over Beijing. Well we need a similar flying machine equipped with massive blowers on the front which operate at hurricane speed to blow cloud back to the north sea within 20 minutes. To be repeated each day until a change in wind direction. 

• Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It's back. Was it the Chinese during the Olympics who had some sort of aircraft spraying stuff on clouds and making them disperse to make it look like it was sunny over Beijing. Well we need a similar flying machine equipped with massive blowers on the front which operate at hurricane speed to blow cloud back to the north sea within 20 minutes. To be repeated each day until a change in wind direction. 

Yes, and the Russians also have used similar equipment on their parade days to ensure good weather. 

Posted

Slight return to the clag this morning in the SE but burning off quickly, thankfully. 

That sun is just too strong now! Begone clag! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's returned back here too, heating turned itself on as well as I forgot to lower the thermostat.....

Looking forward to plenty of sun. Even at the moment with the cloud the fig tree is so full with fruit.

• Like 2

Posted
16 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Completely clagless day today here! 

Could contain:

There appears to be some sort of cloud in the bottom right hand corner. Give it an hour it could be a full blown super cell with hail and everything. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted

About 6000% more cloud here today than what was forecast! Still not the worst of days but any break in the cloud has been short-lived. 

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield

I think the topic should be endless grey or clag haters club as clouds can be beautiful at times.

• Like 1