Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Antoni - Saturday 5th

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

There we go, amber warning the night before. No reason that couldn't have been issued this morning.

Think they knew somewhere would go amber when they named the storm, this morning, but they were waiting for details, which I think look about right for where the warning is. But it also looked right this morning. 

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Gales developing on the Sussex coast

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme

A gust of 62 mph Roches point on XCweather.

Posted

As a football fan, my concern about the late issue of 'amber' warnings is for the safety of fans travelling to games in affected areas, some from considerable distances away. Games this afternoon at Plymouth, Swansea and Portsmouth come to mind. Maybe I shouldn't be concerned but I am.  

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Justification for the low pressure to be named? 

What happened in Whitby, don't know if the strong winds happened, storms in the south?

Posted
2 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Whitby this morning where the met office didn't issue a single warning

image.thumb.png.b315b82525add08c960e0729a10c2ca9.png

64 mm of rain overnight on the North Yorkshire coast, where did that come from I wonder? The sad scene by the Saltburn Miniature Railway, my sympathies to the small band of volunteers who have kept the railway running over the past twenty or more years and could be expecting to raise much-needed funds during this busy holiday season.

image.thumb.png.b69398e2cc25635cb5bbcdde97d3755b.png

• Like 5

Posted
27 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

What happened in Whitby, don't know if the strong winds happened, storms in the south?

However a  storm being named is not done for flooding reason and was Whitby even given a warning?

Edited by Weather-history

Posted

Amber warnings will be issued at lower thresholds during the summer. Trees can be uprooted much more easily, especially after recent heavy rain. Towing caravans aren't around in the winter, and neither are campers and holiday makers in general, many of these will be in the warning areas trying to enjoy their time away without getting clobbered by a tree or blown into the sea. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Storms and Snow
  • Location: Home near Sellindge, 80m/250feet, 5miles from Coast
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

No! Just a deep low pressure

Posted
1 hour ago, richie3846 said:

Amber warnings will be issued at lower thresholds during the summer. Trees can be uprooted much more easily, especially after recent heavy rain. Towing caravans aren't around in the winter, and neither are campers and holiday makers in general, many of these will be in the warning areas trying to enjoy their time away without getting clobbered by a tree or blown into the sea. 

Absolutely 💯. That's why it's justified, IMO. I know that's at odds with some other opinions but imagine if the shoe was on the other foot and there were casualties+ no warning?

Damned if you do...

Edited by sunnysideup
my shoddy grammar
  • Like 2

Posted

Max gusts today so far

Could contain:

• Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

Do you have a link you can share to this

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

Whitby this morning where the met office didn't issue a single warning

image.thumb.png.b315b82525add08c960e0729a10c2ca9.png

Only two people live in Whitby so they don't count. My dislike of the impact system coming into play there. More seriously though  the rainfall seems to be tied in more with a local thundery weather so not sure it if was part of the main system or not. The Met office isn't really geared up for unexpected fairly local downpours. It does remind me a few years back when we had a months rainfall in a few hours in the afternoon it a large region from south Yorkshire all the way across to the areas effected today and that didn't get a warning and a red would have been warranted.

Edited by The PIT
  • Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, The PIT said:

Only two people live in Whitby so they don't count. My dislike of the impact system coming in play there. More seriously though  the rainfall seems to be tied in more with a local thundery weather so not sure it if was part of the main system or not. The Met office isn't really geared up for unexpected fairly local downpours. It does remind me a few years back when we had a months rainfall in a few hours in the afternoon it a large region from south Yorkshire all the way across to the areas effected today and that didn't get a warning and a red would have been warranted.

Thing is, I don't think the heavy rain last night was storm related, it was the convergence zone, definitely should have been warned though, when did the convergence zone warning end?, If not today early morning, they missed it.

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

The Met Office we fed up of waiting to name their first storm in the 2022/2023 list, and rather than wait for the French weather service to beat them to it AGAIN, and the Irish weather service, they jumped on it, like a kid on a bean bag. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Thing is, I don't think the heavy rain last night was storm related, it was the convergence zone, definitely should have been warned though, when did the convergence zone warning end?, If not today early morning, they missed it.

Thunder and lightning so storm related. talking of convergence zones looks like we're under one at the moment watching the radar.

Posted
18 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Thunder and lightning so storm related. talking of convergence zones looks like we're under one at the moment watching the radar.

It was over night with the thunder storm wasn't here yet, thunder and lightning happen in strong convergence zones. The thunder and lightning in the south today, was related to the storm though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunder, strong winds

Had a 48mph gust here earlier, was enough to blow over my potted cherry tree which is in a very large and heavy pot that has been there for a few years now. Only received 2.4mm of rain here through this whole storm which is the most surprising thing.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, alexisj9 said:

Thing is, I don't think the heavy rain last night was storm related, it was the convergence zone,

There was storm activity around 5 - 5.30am here, I saw one flash and heard a couple of rumbles, and @RebsAbbo and @Wold Topper also had it, but I agree it looked like a convergence zone.

Scarborough had a cloudburst on the 28th with 40mm and flash flooding. Again caused by a convergence zone which produced some storms. Then last Wednesday there was 30-35mm fairly widely on the Yorkshire coast, no storms here just heavy rain all day. So this event is the 3rd in less than 2 weeks for some areas. Impacts have been quite local, Scarborough is about 18 miles away and have come off far worse on the 28th and for this event.

The water is now running off our back garden like it does in the wettest winter spells.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Odd to think there was a storm about today, no wind here at all and just a light dose of rain.

Alas we were on the north central core of the low and it moved quickly away.

Alas notable wind gusts in the SW, for early August.

Yes a similiar feature outside core summer season probably get barely a mention or be a named storm I think. However it arriving on a Saturday in August then its impact far higher than it would otherwise be say on a Thursday in November. 

Saturdays mid July to late August are the single most days when weather has max impact on anything outdoor related given how much people engage with the outdoors on such days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1