Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice Northern Hemisphere - Winter 23 /24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall

Thanks MIA. 

I always enjoy your work in tracking the build up of snow cover and the advance of the northern hemisphere winter season.

• Like 3

Posted

Any updates. This thread is notably quiet compared to recent years. Still its very early in the new season, hope to see more activity in coming weeks. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
7 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Hope MIA is cool if i include Twitter content featuring snowfalls into Autumn as itl save creating a twitter thread for that season solely 🥰😎

Hi KW..

I have had no problem with the Twitter links you have supplied (above) on my new PC.

On the old one,  on some it just said it was a security exposure and shut the link down.

I had to shut the  pc down to review it again, and even then it did the same thing.

I still get the same problem with some of the links that Eagle Eye supplies on other forums.

I suspect its a combination  of my security app (mcaffee) and the subscription on Twitter being used by the person copied.

Anyone else having similar problems?

Otherwise I would be delighted to have the abbreviated links on here - if you prefer and are OK with it.

To make it more on subject this mornings snow and ice chart

image.thumb.png.3bf7057c84dafbdb612056b8d5896ca0.png                       2 Sept   image.png.76280a3604ec1d924641cf780e4dd14b.png      

With 'strong' snow spread over the northern hemisphere in 3 days, but still small losses in the sea ice. 

MIA

l

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
19 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

Hope MIA is cool if i include Twitter content featuring snowfalls into Autumn as itl save creating a twitter thread for that season solely 🥰😎

Not to want to be an ass, but we debated this last year and decided on 2 separate threads.  I think the amount of twitter posts ends up being a scroll marathon (is that a scrollathon?) and means finding the snow and ice cover content difficult.

Some of us also don’t use Twitter, so it’s unreadable  

Edit: to try to be even less of an ass, can we keep it to one Twitter link per day, rather than multiple in one post? Best of both worlds 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edited by Beanz
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

I have a web camera permamently on Spitsbergen - and the last two days have brought a change:

WEATHERCAM.KYSTNOR.NO

Webcam - LNS Spitsbergen

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

*I read Beanz post after making this post, seperate twitter thread now active 😎❄️

Love seeing these snowy sights creeping up more frequently 

Edited by Kirkcaldy Weather
  • Like 7

Posted

Good to see this thread back for another delve into the spread of winter. I used to live in the Pennines as a kid, and have happy memories of playing in 4 to 10+ foot snow drifts and unhappy memories of having to dig out through them, so I always wonder how winter will progress and If I'll ever see anything similar again.

I'm also interested in the sailing trials of those trying to get through the Northwest Passage. The NWP is already starting to freeze up early from the northern channels of the Canadian Archipelago after lots of snow. There is already doubt about it being navigable to non-ice class vessels in central areas after less than 3 weeks open during snow and colder than average weather (which followed a few weeks of very warm, sunny weather that helped it open). Numerous pleasure craft are heading west and south past Alaska, exitting the NWP into the Eastern Pacific. I've not been able to follow as closely this year but it looks like the number succesfully transitting the NWP will probably have made it into double figures. Although only open for a short period (so far) this year, it's been clearly open and numbers transitting are better than the last couple of years, even if falling snow will have made it tricky .

The Northeast Passage/Northern Route is still slightly blocked at Siberia but that is further south and could still possibly melt out briefly. There has been lots of snow everywhere, though, and plenty is in forecasts, so that could well remain closed to non-ice classes.

Https://ocean.dmi.dk/arctic/icethickness/images/FullSize_CICE_combine_thick_SM_EN_20230914.png

After a snow-free summer spell across the Arctic (which does not always happen), it's been very snowy for about 3 weeks. With lots more predicted, especially for Siberia, this is now showing more signs of settling.

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Meteociel propose des cartes de prévisions du modèle americain GFS

The early start to winter snow extent expansion has eased back but this week looks set to push on again this week.

Https://ccin.ca/home/sites/default/files/snow/snow_tracker/nh_sce.png

Edited by Aleman
  • Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Will this screenshot embed? Answer - No.

Just click on 6th box (NIC, Con) and delete others as you wish:

WWW.POLARVIEW.AQ

A website about Polar View and related services in the Antarctic

Edited by Aleman
  • Thanks 1

Posted

MIA - Not so good a position?

I could maybe disagree. There's quite a large area of less than 10% ice around Wrangel Island and the sea above 75N is starting to refreeze as temperatures are dropping quickly now. The multiple low system going through at the moment could churn it all up but it's expected to drop lots of snow on already cold water (as well as add considerably to Siberian snow cover which will drop land temperatures). If there is a good slush build up from snowy lows, the stall could be set for calmer colder northerlies on the tail end to kick off a substantial refreeze of a large area that has only just thawed out (according to models that stop at a lower limit of 10% or 15% concentration of ice).  There is a big cold area there ripe for refreezing quickly but it depends how much more churn there is in those lows.

CT.thumb.jpg.901e4b99c71f11e2b7dc460a23423b80.jpgSST.thumb.jpg.1cf7bc30f0ce1ff828f837d4bd38fe16.jpg

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Long warm summer evenings. Cold frosty sunny winter days.

Good to see the optimism rather than the pessimism in the other thread

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

This is one of my favourite threads on NW! I'm looking forward to watching the advance through Autumn in particular. I enjoy the quality in depth analysis of data which makes it more understandable and enjoyable to follow!

EDIT: I think it's been quiet because of the hot weather where many have been in a belated Summer mode

Edited by Bradley in Kent
Extra info
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!

My absolute favourite thread, every year I get excited when we see the pixels!

• Like 4