Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Snow and Ice Northern Hemisphere - Winter 23 /24

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Wow just a week ago there was barely any snow around especially in North America where some Arctic coasts were still snow free around northern Canada. Things can change quick!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
29 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Wow just a week ago there was barely any snow around especially in North America where some Arctic coasts were still snow free around northern Canada. Things can change quick!

and back again..much of the snow south of 48 and in Western Prairies will melt over the next few days as temps rebound to near average values 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Although from a selfish, IMBY POV, I'm cautious of North American cold anomalies as it they seem to spell doom for weather in Northwestern Europe by revving up the Jetstream. 

Always feel better when the cold anomalies and subsequent snow/ice occur over the Russian side.

Again though, purely a selfish perspective!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms

Time for a further update as 2 - 3 days since my last.

Ice and snow growth has slowed down to more normal rates.

-   No one can accuse me of only posting when things are positive.   😁

Snow has retracted back into Russia by 2 - 400  miles from Europe as the full strength of our storms won the first battle of the winter. I sound like a Sky broadcaster in the Ukraine.!!

Scandinavia has held up quite well and the snow has moved south a bit into Mongolia.

Snow continued in Canada, but  as CM mentioned might occur, as more normal temps have returned to southern States,  the snow level has retreated back north a little. Lake effect snow is still happening in  the northern areas. 

image.thumb.png.627d849fdab081afb3cc3a7e8a89427f.png

Arctic sea ice has yo yo'd a bit with gains of (+87K) Km2 and (-27K) KM2 in extent today.

Most of this fall occurred in Barents (which fell back from Svalbard) by -57K.

Gains continued though in Baffin, CAA, Beaufort  and Hudson.

image.thumb.png.5e282050b73e7fb1fd114a43cfb8cac1.png  and today    image.thumb.png.a4df64d84b287500b6e7baf075958441.png 

-   Thought i'd do a piece on ice volume for you guys.

After a dodgy looking start it has improved quickly in the last 3 weeks in keeping with the extent values,  and now compares with last years figures -

image.thumb.png.db0498fd54d64624465fa3399dcc58e8.png   and last year - image.thumb.png.f012c336a5147d4fbcaf6ece170ed978.png 

As can be seen  the ice is nowhere near as thick in the Western Arctic (US based), but is now much stronger in the East (round Kara and Barents) -  (which is covered partly by the volume graph).

It is usually calculated as extent divided by area. so is used as a reminder to  the state/robustness nature of the ice. Sea ice depth was thought to be declining due to the lesser amount of multi-year ice, at the end of last season, but so far now it is holding up well.

The volume situation was originally coupled in with the arctic temperature (by early CC)  but it is also varying greatly, and in fact we have recently seen it increase as the temp has started to fall properly now.

Graph from the now updating correctly DMI (ECMWF based)

image.thumb.png.f440fd8ad4f059e259dc6b4278bcee43.png 

which shows the steep fall under the anticyclonic conditions then a rise and now a new fall to under -15C  again now the weather is  changing.

More on the weather in the next update...

MIA

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Posted

Heavy snow and -15C temperatures saw a slightly early start to ice formation on Hudson Bays west coast but it has since melted back as snow eased and central water temperatures of about 2C are not cold enough yet for significant advance. As the cold front moved eastwards and ongoing snow intensified a bit , freeze up even started in southern Hudson Bay as speculated might occur a couple of days ago. This is a week or two early but I expect this could all melt out again as snow moves away and daytime temperatures rise back above freezing and water temperature in the south remain a balmy 5C away from the coast.

20231102180000_WIS31CT_0012843007.gif20231102180000_WIS30CT_0012843004.gif

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Hi MIA

what date arewe expecting the ice bridge from Shetland to Iceland 😅

in all seriousness ice in a good position again

🤞🏻it continues 🥶

• Like 1

Posted
12 hours ago, nobble said:

Hi MIA

what date arewe expecting the ice bridge from Shetland to Iceland 😅

in all seriousness ice in a good position again

🤞🏻it continues 🥶

I took this to mean Greenland to Iceland,  since  the Shetland to Iceland bridge hasn't occured since the last ice age.

I know it is very unlikely, but it is not impossible.  (the former)

A couple of years ago all the northern fjords in Iceland were filled with ice..  (Maybe as a result of a heavy snowfall in the area).

We are now seeing extra amounts of ice moving down the East Greenland coast, (in the Fram Strait), and this year it seems to be widening. 

IF,  the two things coincide then we have the right conditions for a temporary bridge. 

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Cheers for the reply MIA 👍🏻

yes we may have to wait a while for it to get to Shetland 

although the northern lights are getting closer so who knows 😊🤞🏻🥶

• Like 2

Posted

Completed the review of the N American sea ice as described above.

Only, as I suspected, it was much more complicated. The use of the spreadsheet didn't really help at !0K KM2, so I ended up having to use my intuition as to when the Ice started to refreeze seriously..

Hudson was quite straight forward so I used the 10K date cut-off. (same as the smaller areas above).

CAA was the most complicated as it in some years (see below) it never  dropped below 400K. However ,If possible for all years including 2006-12 and 2019- 2023, I used 300K as a cut-off.       2013 to 2018 was totally different in some years, it never dropped below 400K, so I used judgement as to when the  ice started its refreeze.

Baffin was similar in the same dates, but the level was lower and I used 60Km2 as the cut-off point.

I grouped them in slightly different years (cf the first post) as I could see they were totally different to the 'pacific' based ones I reported above , and that the period 2013 - 2018 had exceptionally large amounts of ice in North America....

I ended up having 3 year groups as prev, with the initial period being similar  (2006-2012), the next group varying wildly, and then settling down again at the end rom 2019, with similar data to the first period (though unlike the pacific based ones) at a slightly later date of refreeze.. 

All are days in year compared to Day 300...

Ocean                                                 2006-2012                          2013 - 2018                             2019- 2023

______________                                      ______________                     _______________                         _______________

Baffin                                                  -18 days                             -24days*                                  -16 days

CAA                                                     -26days                             -35days*                                  -20 days 

Hudson                                              -5 days                              -20 days                                   +1 day** 

*Using intuition for some years -  probably understated the start of refreeze...

**  Includes 2 years (2019 and 2021 when the ice was greatly delayed. (otherwise  -3 days was the latest average.. 

So looking more like as was expected,     and nothing like the Pacific grouping with a very cold middle (for ice formation) standing out in N.A. 

So why did the ice suddenly 'increase'/find it easier to remain frozen, and to form in the period 2013 - 2018 in North America? . These were the major El Nino years and occured during high solar periods. Otherwise I have no idea. Perhaps the upcoming El Nino will tell us more.

It does tend to suggest however that the La Nina effect suggested for the first set of data (Pacific oceans) is a realistic effect.     

So why?.

Oh yes, and when I have a little more time I'll perform the same operation on the Jaxa data. 

MIA                                           

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 7

Posted

Thanks @Midlands Ice Age - this is some interesting work. One other factor I thing may be worth considering is the slowdown in the AMOC. Interestingly, I did find a few sources that seemed to suggest that an AMOC slowdown would delay an ice-free Arctic.

This article below is a fairly accessible explanation as to why this might be the case. Essentially, there is somewhat of a negative feedback between the AMOC and sea ice. A weaker AMOC helps to preserve sea ice in several important regions.

BLOGS.EGU.EU

In this post, I will talk about two famous characters of the climate system; I will define them and see how they have changed in the current context of climate change. I will also show you how these two characters interact...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
14 minutes ago, WYorksWeather said:

Thanks @Midlands Ice Age - this is some interesting work. One other factor I thing may be worth considering is the slowdown in the AMOC. Interestingly, I did find a few sources that seemed to suggest that an AMOC slowdown would delay an ice-free Arctic.

This article below is a fairly accessible explanation as to why this might be the case. Essentially, there is somewhat of a negative feedback between the AMOC and sea ice. A weaker AMOC helps to preserve sea ice in several important regions.

BLOGS.EGU.EU

In this post, I will talk about two famous characters of the climate system; I will define them and see how they have changed in the current context of climate change. I will also show you how these two characters interact...

Makes perfect sense to me, warm water moving north at a slower rate, equals pole easier to cool, so quicker ice formation.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, alexisj9 said:

Makes perfect sense to me, warm water moving north at a slower rate, equals pole easier to cool, so quicker ice formation.

Yep, interesting to see that there's proper scientific backing for the idea was more what I meant.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Interesting report here on the previously thought to be stable North Greenland Ice shelf. Similar to Antartctica that the sea is undermining the shelf, glaciers along with the underground meltwater exacerbating the demise.

Rapid disintegration and weakening of ice shelves in North Greenland

WWW.NATURE.COM

North Greenland ice shelves have lost more than a third of their masses, thinning dramatically from below due to increased ocean temperatures. In response, grounding lines have...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Interesting report here on the previously thought to be stable North Greenland Ice shelf. Similar to Antartctica that the sea is undermining the shelf, glaciers along with the underground meltwater exacerbating the demise.

Rapid disintegration and weakening of ice shelves in North Greenland

WWW.NATURE.COM

North Greenland ice shelves have lost more than a third of their masses, thinning dramatically from below due to increased ocean temperatures. In response, grounding lines have...

Could that be one of the reason of the sea ice is recovering every winter, a lot of fresh water entering the Arctic?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
30 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Matt...

this an 'old' report published in 2021.

If you checked you will see that during 2021 - 2022, and 2022 -  2023, and also so far this year the SMB (accum) has increased compared to the longer term average.

I will leave this for you to digress - (from the daily polar portal website) which gives up to date information on all the Greenland data. 

image.thumb.png.9cac4f45dbe85e26ec14db5523b501ff.png and the same for 2022...

In the last 3 seasons extra snowfall has 'appeared' over Greenland.

Some of the glaciers have stopped decreasing and a couple of increased slightly again.

MIA 

Yes ,for instance the " Jakobshavn " Glacier had been steadily growing for a number of years now ...😨

• Like 5