Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - September 2023

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe weather

I managed to grab a Timelapse last night of the lightning 160km away. Sorry for the very poor quality but I was on nearly maximum zoom trying to get faint flashes. Anyways it was extremely active, at one point very faint flashes were happening every second.

Could contain:

Could contain:

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 hours ago, Aiden2012 said:

Am I right in calling this person out, he’s telling everyone it’s not lightning and they believe him 😂🫣 or is it me being silly 😂

Could contain:

I'm not sure, it's probably distant lightning, as there are storms in the east. However I saw a couple of flashes here, and there's no way those where from the SW or Yorkshire. Sent a little while trying to work out where they where from, and gave up lol 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
5 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

I'm not sure, it's probably distant lightning, as there are storms in the east. However I saw a couple of flashes here, and there's no way those where from the SW or Yorkshire. Sent a little while trying to work out where they where from, and gave up lol 

As there was a mist/light fog , I decided whether right or wrongly, that some of the flashes from the SW, were traveling a bit further through it, so visible faintly here. It was very faint.

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
9 hours ago, Derbyshire_snow said:

I would say so I thought I was seeing things at first definitely was lightning and echoes on the radar confirmed it. 

But as we know they usually go everywhere bar here. 

Just replayed the radar loop and no lightning associated with it. I think you saw lightning from a distant storm as they were some very bright flashes but no thunder.

Posted

Well no storms forecast for here today but storms will do what they do and can appear in the wrong place.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
2 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Well no storms forecast for here today but storms will do what they do and can appear in the wrong place.

I’m pretty sure there is ? 

Posted
1 minute ago, Aiden2012 said:

anywhere but here most likely. Hopefully won't get a repeat of yesterday where we are brewing storms for everyone else to enjoy. Long long time since I've sat under a developing storm normally they are decaying as they go over then rebuild as soon as they pass through.

Posted
19 minutes ago, alexisj9 said:

Based on his spelling I would very much doubt his expertise!

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Yes we are in the risk area, but then so are a lot of places today. It's very much a nowcast day with a number of models not quite on the same page nor aligned with the actual radar this morning either.

Although there was no direct hit here, it was a good day with a fantastic view of the nighttime storm to the north. Direct hits are all well and good, but they are less likely and I'm grateful for the next best thing... close viewing of nighttime lightning!

We've actually had a half decent storm season in Sheffield, despite what some might say!

Edited by parhelion
  • Like 3

Posted

For what it is worth, the Met Office warning for thunderstorms today has been extended further south to include parts of the Midlands, Lincs and NE Scotland.

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Met Office UK weather warnings for rain, snow, wind, fog and ice. Choose your location to keep up to date with local weather warnings.

Posted
22 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

The weather is really being tough on us convective fans in the central south. Not a sniff and then adding insult to injury we just left with decaying shower activity. 

Better than the complete nothingness in the South East.

Posted
20 minutes ago, chapmanslade said:

Based on his spelling I would very much doubt his expertise!

Just told me he studied weather 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dull And Uninteresting Weather
1 minute ago, Weather-history said:

image.thumb.png.43b30aa94f025df0bc8b1ece67e35b9f.png  image.thumb.png.0487a94278c95f886422fd9f75dbda8f.png

Altocumulus castellanus banks passing to my west

glad there's a bank somewhere in the UK

• Like 1

Posted

I'll take an extra day of heatwave and enjoy some storms tomorrow instead. Hope the rest of the country has a ball, I'll be in my garden enjoying proper heat for the last time this year. 

Posted

What time does the netweather storm forecast usually come out ? I always forget.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

I'm guessing the part over NW France isn't really anything of interest? The latest Arome pushes the possible MCS west, back into the Midlands and develops it more over Dorset. UKV uninterested in this solution. 

Best of luck today. Could be pretty much anywhere to see a pretty active storm later. 

Posted
29 minutes ago, The PIT said:

anywhere but here most likely. Hopefully won't get a repeat of yesterday where we are brewing storms for everyone else to enjoy. Long long time since I've sat under a developing storm normally they are decaying as they go over then rebuild as soon as they pass through.

Give it a rest, you have been spoilt with good thunderstorms this year, plenty of direct hits. Sheffield is becoming the storm capital of Yorkshire, already the snow capital.

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
28 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Have family in Sheffield, I always keep a cursory eye on things there and couldn't believe the development at all angles just away from there.

Brewing things for everyone! Is it the topography ( peaks) that does this and is it a regular occurance?

I was told you caught a real beast of a storm back in June? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
16 minutes ago, Cableguy said:

Better than the complete nothingness in the South East.

Or the nothingness in the East.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Now come on Pit, I have friends in Sheffield who are still raving about the storm they had earlier in the summer which by all accounts was an absolute humdinger. Sheffield has done a lot better than a lot of other locations have this year, including mine only 25 miles south. Even last night you would have had much better views of the storms to the northeast. If anyone has reason to moan and be negative this year I would suggest it's some of our friends in the south.

As for today's prospects, the Met Office warning has been extended south to include Sheffield so it suggests there's a better chance for you again although of course nothing is guaranteed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Thunderstorms
57 minutes ago, The PIT said:

Just replayed the radar loop and no lightning associated with it. I think you saw lightning from a distant storm as they were some very bright flashes but no thunder.

Yep I agree just shows how bright they were. 

• Like 1