Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - mid Autumn

Posted
4 minutes ago, Downburst said:

What happened to January also. It’s extraordinarily meh. When was the last 4 to 5 day freeze in January. I think once in my 50 years in Ireland anyway. I know eastern England and maybe Scotland get somewhat colder weather sometimes, but settled highs in January are so rare I can’t remember one.

You are right. The deep mid winter month of January has been an abject failure in the most part for the last 30 years plus. Mobile/zonal in the main. Rarely blocked. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
10 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Thought I would use ECM and the machine learning models to illustrate the possible evolutions of the little ridge coming in from the Atlantic at the end of next week. Note that these charts are showing MSLP + 200hPa wind (jet stream), not the more familiar MSLP + 500hPa geopotential height, as the ECMWF website does not offer that combination.

All agree that it will begin on Thursday with a northwesterly/northerly for us from the previous trough departing to the east.

image.thumb.png.cef5804599129d67fcbd0f86fd652646.png

That's still ongoing on Friday, and by then you can see disagreement developing over exactly how much of a gap there will be between the trough existing eastwards and the next one coming in from the west; Pangu-Weather is the most pessimistic here.

image.thumb.png.08588ac250f8946076c8b9d6f416372c.png

By Saturday, we've got either a thin wedge of high pressure over the UK - meaning this could be a usable dry Saturday for us all - or one of two alternatives: Pangu-Weather has a little low sliding over us underneath some cut-off HP over Iceland, and FourCastNet is building a little Scandi high which looks like it would keep further Atlantic lows away from us for longer.

image.thumb.png.14b8669833916728a49a974165d63a65.png

Sunday, day 10 and thus the end of these 0z runs, just showing a continuation of the above; on the AIFS, the Atlantic has broken back through.

image.thumb.png.5d72c1891a9d626be1105ad9cc5e228b.png

For balance, I should mention that there has not been consistent support for any of the more positive outcomes suggested above on recent deterministic runs of the GFS, GEM or JMA models.

Something has taken a scythe to that Atlantic ridge signal in the past 12 hours. These frames are from the midway point (12z on Friday 10th) of the four sets of frames I posted earlier. It looks like a sorry little feature now:

image.thumb.png.b20c6ceca959d02a7a738e693b37b6fe.png

It's the same on all of the ensembles this evening.

I'll show you something which I'm sure can't be helping...

image.thumb.png.40c2f2fe340cda719ba8e05b3582d549.png

What is all that warm water doing up there in the Labrador Sea?!

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: MCC/MCS Thunderstorms
43 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

I do remember reading years ago that statistically, cool and wet November's gave the best chance of a cold proceeding winter. It was quite specific. Dry November's did not bode well. Wet and warm November's also didn't bode well. Specifically cool and wet were the best harbingers for a cold and blocked winter. 

Considering this is how November 2nd was in 2010

image.thumb.png.1d24179c8cc815582678a226a91f8f97.png

It's not bad 2023

image.thumb.png.883559be6d223839b29c51447ace08d7.png

Things can change very dramatically.

End of November 2010

image.thumb.png.fe7d839176a9ff2b9268e8d38193ddd7.png

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
3 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

That's the fourth appearance in 36 hours 🤣

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Robbie Garrett said:

Considering this is how November 2nd was in 2010

image.thumb.png.1d24179c8cc815582678a226a91f8f97.png

It's not bad 2023

image.thumb.png.883559be6d223839b29c51447ace08d7.png

Things can change very dramatically.

End of November 2010

Quite. I happen to think the unsettled and zonal theme will continue into December though. El nino this year as opposed to La Nina in 2010. Hopeful for the back end of Dec though. 

• Like 1

Posted

In case anyone is interested, here is the mean 500mb height anomaly chart for the calendar month of October 2023...

image.thumb.png.46312a115e6de40821d6810dfde5aa44.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!

Blimey, just checked the output this morning expecting to see some form of blocking set up and...

What happened?

Looks like I jumped the shark on that one.

First false alarm of the season, glad it isn't even Bonfire night. 😄

• Like 3

Posted

Much better build up of cold to our north east on the ecm run this morning. A better run than last night's generally. Better blocking. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
11 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

Much better build up of cold to our north east on the ecm run this morning. A better run than last night's generally. Better blocking. 

Models are good at predicting zonal weather ,just like it picked up the wind storm days ago, but blocking scenarios, they are useless ,and I have little or no faith in their output ,until it gets to T+0 !😄

• Like 8

Posted
14 minutes ago, ANYWEATHER said:

Models are good at predicting zonal weather ,just like it picked up the wind storm days ago, but blocking scenarios, they are useless ,and I have little or no faith in their output ,until it gets to T+0 !😄

Very wise. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

Looking at the D10 means for ECM and GFS, they both paint a similar picture:

image.thumb.png.ac0cf28fb54ccee1af40a97f00848dc4.png image.thumb.png.97fe2bb60aff573f8499d06c9a50a1b0.png

It seems like typical autumnal weather as we enter mid-November, changeable, and the Azores high in play, so there is little room for anything too cold unless we get a less flat upstream profile. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

That's the fourth appearance in 36 hours 🤣

Yep

When we get 1947, 1963, 1979 and 1981 posted we know the models are looking REALLY poor!

GFS 850 ensembles. Nothing cold in sight but nothing especially warm either

image.thumb.png.896fd240c2cf64e016a3aa9fed110766.png

ECM - also very average with precipitation spikes featuring right the way through

image.thumb.png.f0a57fc4d62354cc881278c59f1443ce.png

All very meh. Some rain, some drier days. Temps - nothing unusual.

Are we facing yet another autumn without a significant spell of fog and/or frost in my patch? I think so and I also think that's the new normal now - it's been so long without an autumn like that

Edited by LRD
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Cambrian said:

Day 5 itself looks half decent!

E4065F05-D775-404E-A3AE-5FD711B1587F.thumb.png.a7419a38b9ab3ba281a99472b293699a.png

Only speaking for IMBY and appreciate there's a fair bit of spread here, but it's looking to be one of the worse days of the week down here...

image.thumb.png.36d53d25cd7364eebdbbeb50d39ff171.png

• Like 2

Posted

One popular idea this morning (or yesterday morning for the EC46) was for the Azores high to return in the week beginning Mon 13th Nov, though it doesn't seem evident that this would be a prolonged recovery, and neither does there seem to be any prospect (as had briefly been hinted by the ECM ensemble a few days ago) that it will ridge over the UK:

image.thumb.png.f4c96277f01722beca461bc27d56bfb5.pngimage.thumb.png.8584026da0806727e12dac6c6eae977a.pngimage.thumb.png.b4f6491a9facf79360d91e8e2695f22d.png

image.thumb.png.5de3c8d477f3c1f2f8f5252ca2ae2a49.png

These charts also suggest there will be a trough downstream of the high, over much of Europe.

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
24 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

One popular idea this morning (or yesterday morning for the EC46) was for the Azores high to return in the week beginning Mon 13th Nov, though it doesn't seem evident that this would be a prolonged recovery, and neither does there seem to be any prospect (as had briefly been hinted by the ECM ensemble a few days ago) that it will ridge over the UK:

image.thumb.png.f4c96277f01722beca461bc27d56bfb5.pngimage.thumb.png.8584026da0806727e12dac6c6eae977a.pngimage.thumb.png.b4f6491a9facf79360d91e8e2695f22d.png

These charts also suggest there will be a trough downstream of the high, over much of Europe.

A good starting point at this stage is/would be… as the models pyramid drop into seasonal deciphering, To take longer range modeling as a mere opening tool “ as per “! And await swirl and update until axis deep -ie, lowering of geomagnetic or influence…. To add the spoon stirring in the mid - upper latitudes of late- Are will be short - mid term wanting of rectification…. Any modeled short range blocking needs taking lightly .     

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

A good starting point at this stage is/would be… as the models pyramid drop into seasonal deciphering, To take longer range modeling as a mere opening tool “ as per “! And await swirl and update until axis deep -ie, lowering of geomagnetic or influence…. To add the spoon stirring in the mid - upper latitudes of late- Are will be short - mid term wanting of rectification…. Any modeled short range blocking needs taking lightly .     

I have been stung quite a few times recently by the empty promises of the ensembles (particularly those of the ECM) at days 8-15, but at the moment they are all we have to go on if we're looking for a pattern change...

Here are some day 10 ECM ensemble members I posted on 23rd October while there seemed to be some prospect of heights building in the opening days of November:

image.thumb.png.0be1ee3ed326753e4d0df594e9b46daf.png

What actually verified on the date shown was... Storm Ciarán 😂

image.thumb.png.d49f5f80ef5f5476d6950f5cdca72e7d.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
41 minutes ago, Bats32 said:

Looks like any blocking is being pushed back on Cansips. Can see a wet/windy and mild winter to be honest. https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1720449365158817990?s=19

These long term predictions are absolutely useless most of the time. Flipping a coin would give you more accurate results...

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, RainAllNight said:

If the above verifies, it appears to be more of the same in the next 2 to 3 weeks. Atlantic dominating, very brief settled incursions. Often wet, with temps at or a bit above average. All quite standard for November. 

Awaiting more concerted indications for a pattern change away from the trough sitting on top of the UK for an eternity!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
8 minutes ago, mathematician said:

These long term predictions are absolutely useless most of the time. Flipping a coin would give you more accurate results...

Disagree. Thing is people misinterpret them, especially pressure anomaly modelling. But the seasonal models aren't useless

They aren't going to be massively accurate as the science is still developing. It's just a guide. But, what do we do if they're not accurate? Just give up on them? Surely it's better to try and improve them and our knowledge? But, as I say, sometimes they do get it right

Edited by LRD
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.
54 minutes ago, Bats32 said:

Looks like any blocking is being pushed back on Cansips. Can see a wet/windy and mild winter to be honest. https://twitter.com/WorldClimateSvc/status/1720449365158817990?s=19

Don't particularly agree with that post. Jan/Fab look pretty decent, with a mean easterly there. Like discussed on other threads, it seems December could be a background between cold to our NE and Atlantic lows, as there are still strong suggestions of highs over Scandi and Greenland. Think this winter could potentially be one to remember, but one little thing could change it dramatically.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

On a basic vanilla slant- this lrfm is worth a view on its update- however as  with ANY lrf mod…  jigsaw it with an open mind.   And my advice would be at sea and head level at this range.   Anyway polar forces are not yet absorbing critical top hemisphere forwarding- …. Exiting- or garden path walking again??! 🤷‍♂️  We’ll see - the array of probabilities/ non fruitions are what keep the juices going ✌️😀👍

96F86AC5-8AF0-4E09-A879-6F40B3402F17.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

A bit of a difference emerging today between The American and  European models. The latest UKMO keeps the European trough in place with unsettled weather continuation with seasonal temps for many . Our local forecast is for another Italian Low in place for Wed/ Thursday next week  with snow in the Alps and plenty of more rainfall in the valleys. Will be interesting to see what ECM comes up with at 144t compared to GFS run.

C

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1