Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storms and Convective discussion - November 2023 onwards

Supacell

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunderstorms /winter storms and blizzards.
10 hours ago, LeeKay/ said:

Thank god for that, a new page that can load without a multitude of links or heavy burden on browser, to some looking for recent Storm activity with slow internet.

@Robert1981 The 3rd one you asked it is the UKMO / Iceland Lightning detection. Or ADT Network.

Linky here: https://brunnur.vedur.is/athuganir/eldingar/i_dag_na.html?

Thanks 👍 

Posted
28 minutes ago, WeatherArc said:

Wow what a profile! 250+ eff inflow SRH with strong streamwise hodos. 109ML cape but its all concentrated in the lowest 3km (80 3cape) would of really helped any tornadogenesis. Lapse rates are also really good, especially the low level LR. This all combined with very strong  upper level shear. That small cell merging into the main cell likely initiated an RFD surge leading to the tornado. 

May just be me but 2023 seems to of been very active in tornado terms. 

I agree that this year seems to be quite tornadic. The UK does get more tornadoes per land area than anywhere else in the world though. I wonder if we’ve just had a year where they’ve struck more urban areas than usual? Or is it an actual increase in activity. The ones that we have had this year do seem stronger than usual too

Edited by andy989
  • Like 3

Posted
WWW.NEWSFLARE.COM

What seems to be a Tornado as part of Storm Gerrit has caused major damage to property and cars in Criccieth North Wales. 70 - 80 mph winds with possibly 100mph plus...

Damage at the end of the video suggests Tornado 

• Thanks 4

Posted
9 hours ago, Willsy said:

seen reports of a tornado in east manchester. has ripped someone’s roof off. was ona severe weather page on facebook 

IMG_6340.png

just seen that as well mate on the same page, hope they are ok,

That storm last night over north wales, wonder what was causing it, as it looked nasty on radar 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

They probably won't release the doppler but yet more signs that it was likely a tornado. Probably the first time I've seen them mention a storm being a Supercell straight away as they're normally more conservative with that and just call them thunderstorms for the general public. So clearly it must have had a very Supercellular like profile on doppler radar for them to call it one straight away. Really strong storm to occur on the 28th December. 

• Like 7

Posted
1 minute ago, Eagle Eye said:

They probably won't release the doppler but yet more signs that it was likely a tornado. Probably the first time I've seen them mention a storm being a Supercell straight away as they're normally more conservative with that and just call them thunderstorms for the general public. So clearly it must have had a very Supercellular like profile on doppler radar for them to call it one straight away. Really strong storm to occur on the 28th December. 

and hes back, hope you are well eagle eye, That storm over north wales, any thoughts on what caused it to go loopy please mate?

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle
10 minutes ago, viking_smb said:

and hes back, hope you are well eagle eye, That storm over north wales, any thoughts on what caused it to go loopy please mate?

Thank you and to me looks like if it's a tornado it's non-Supercellular. Very straight-line setup on the radar but as with most UK possible tornado's, there was a merger cell from behind. However, the video looks mostly straight line winds and impacts rather than the wind itself might have caused that damage. There could well have been a brief tornado touch down within all of that that I missed or this be RFD but that looked quite straight-line even though the damage was suspiciously tornadic. This is one I couldn't really tell you. However, knowing squall setups, the rising south side is an area where strong momentum can be forced and the vorticity be increased mainly into the southern most part. Most of the inflow would be crosswise and the vorticity wouldn't be streamwise then. However, the small cell to the south may have re-directed the flow and then we'd have a more 45° angle ish of inflow, so more streamwise moving vorticity added to the southern cell in the squall. I could see that potentially forcing a tornado but the radar presentation isn't all that impressive if it did. 

xx_px250-en-340-0_2023_12_27_5233_2130.thumb.png.6cab336c717d1f873b10c589025af699.png

xx_px250-en-340-0_2023_12_27_5233_2145.thumb.png.12bcc834ff86544f81c0e452a9197630.png

• Like 9

Posted
11 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

Thank you and to me looks like if it's a tornado it's non-Supercellular. Very straight-line setup on the radar but as with most UK possible tornado's, there was a merger cell from behind. However, the video looks mostly straight line winds and impacts rather than the wind itself might have caused that damage. There could well have been a brief tornado touch down within all of that that I missed or this be RFD but that looked quite straight-line even though the damage was suspiciously tornadic. This is one I couldn't really tell you. However, knowing squall setups, the rising south side is an area where strong momentum can be forced and the vorticity be increased mainly into the southern most part. Most of the inflow would be crosswise and the vorticity wouldn't be streamwise then. However, the small cell to the south may have re-directed the flow and then we'd have a more 45° angle ish of inflow, so more streamwise moving vorticity added to the southern cell in the squall. I could see that potentially forcing a tornado but the radar presentation isn't all that impressive if it did. 

xx_px250-en-340-0_2023_12_27_5233_2130.thumb.png.6cab336c717d1f873b10c589025af699.png

xx_px250-en-340-0_2023_12_27_5233_2145.thumb.png.12bcc834ff86544f81c0e452a9197630.png

Thanks for the information good to see u sharing your information Eagle eye 👍

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

A few weak cells across Wales today, moving to the east. 

image.thumb.png.3a7abaee22eb806f6524003cb0370a8f.png

Cape is very weak/non existent so wouldn't expect much from these things as they move onshore but may still give off the odd rumble of thunder. Some great hodographs around today. 

image.thumb.png.9d8eb4b6a5f22d22d6dc4fcc20414eae.pngimage.thumb.png.39e4164857cfac55b3efb20bc2953358.pngimage.thumb.png.92e1f29cca16b956fb8f5886c6bd93d3.pngimage.thumb.png.d24857097a1acb0de5be0ec35594ca2b.png 

• Like 2

Posted

011266cfcf565c0666af8986359a415b8c230b34.thumb.gif.6d405db8ed8f0462439dd9629b36f27b.gif

Despite the lack of cape looks like another supercell has formed in Lancashire over the past half hour, must be the sea temps combined with the strong hodos. 

Worth keeping an eye on radar for interesting features on any of these storms, shear is very supportive. 

image.thumb.png.a53f362378f340b285948e81b191a4e4.png

Edited by WeatherArc
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow
1 hour ago, Coops241180 said:

I'd be keeping an eye on whatever has crossed the country and heading for lincoln about now..

You mean this lot...

Possible localised mini wind thingy...

20231228_142445.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Roofs are torn off houses, trees fall and walls collapse in part of Greater Manchester during Storm Gerrit.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Torro rating out. T5, think that's the equivalent to a strong EF2 or a weak EF3

Edited by WeatherArc
  • Like 5

Posted

Torro has given a provisional rating of T5 for the Stalybridge tornado which is categorised as an 'Intense Tornado' with wind speeds of 137-160 mph based on the TORRO scale.

• Thanks 6

Posted

just looking on radar leeds and york are now having some lightining storm also some intense rain as well.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
3 minutes ago, Robert1981 said:

just looking on radar leeds and york are now having some lightining storm also some intense rain as well.

Can confirm, thunder and lightning here. CGs included. A thunderstorm in December is the last thing I expected!

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bitter Cold in winter and Extreme heat in summer
6 minutes ago, cheese said:

Can confirm, thunder and lightning here. CGs included. A thunderstorm in December is the last thing I expected!

That was quite something here in west Leeds. Horrendous wind and rain accompanying thunder and lightning.

Thought I was going to lose my tree. 10 minutes later it’s so calm, barely a leaf is moving. Glad I got in 5 minutes previous with the dogs

Edited by Decemberof2010
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

been like a 'summer' convective day, sky wise and temp not summer like but warm, 'summer' style cloudburst shower in King's Bromley at around 14.40

• Like 1