Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
Just now, Summer Sun said:

From the met office blog issued today for later next week and leading up to Christmas.

"At this stage, there is very little sign of any widespread or severe cold and wintry weather.”

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

As we go through the rest of this week the jet stream will shift further north allowing high pressure to build.

Over in the 'mad' thread they will have you believe that cold weather is on the way and there is reason to get excited 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
18 hours ago, al78 said:

After more delays on the trains this evening I found my cycle route home that normally goes over the river was now in the river. I didn't think there had been that much rain today but Horsham may have got hammered with more frequent heavy rain than London.

IMG_20231212_185204802.jpg

There was a big tail of showers with heavy bursts, though that storm in London was heavy, perhaps Thame big drainage system works better than people thought.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
51 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Sunniest places (hours per year)

Least sunny(hours)Sunniest(hours)

1Bjørnøya (Svalbard, Norway)595.0                                                                              Yuma (USA)4015.3

2Macquarie Island (Australia)806.5                                                                                 Phoenix (USA)3871.6

3Tórshavn (Faroe Islands)841.0                                                                                       Aswan (Egypt)3862.8

4Ostrov Vize (Arctic Russia)914.0                                                                                   Las Vegas (USA)3825.3

5Rio Negro (Brazil)967.9                                                                                                     Tuscon (USA)3806.0

Edmonton gets 321 sunny days per year and is the second sunniest city in Canada just behind Calgary.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Beautiful winter's day here. 

Love this colour of sky. If you didn't the know the time, it could be 9am, Midday, or 3pm - how wonderful!

So rare and unusual in Britain to have this sort of weather!

PXL_20231213_142625702.jpg

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
On 12/12/2023 at 08:50, Alderc 2.0 said:

Loud thunder and for the first time in 45years I’ve got a storm on my birthday! 

Happy belated birthday. Though I must admit, for some reason I assumed you were in your 20s or 30s.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
1 hour ago, Weatherman_93 said:

Over in the 'mad' thread they will have you believe that cold weather is on the way and there is reason to get excited 😁

Hopecasting

Meanwhile, some more good news. The days have reached their minimum, they'll soon be getting longer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

It’s gonna be mild this weekend, it will be very dull though unfortunately. 

5AA5B8BD-667E-4CC5-A95B-9B106E2DBD8F.png

Posted

If I were a betting man which I am I would put a tenner on a White Christmas Ladbrokes 8/1

3 hours ago, danm said:

Flew into Lapland this afternoon, not as cold as originally forecast, “only” about -10c to -12c at the moment.

IMG_0387.thumb.jpeg.57f5e9d9238a3dcaea9bc1293163daa4.jpeg

IMG_0389.thumb.jpeg.c2f5784b862b73328f0d9960e9828ee7.jpeg

IMG_0392.thumb.jpeg.de086dc14524c80867d8d701059a825c.jpeg

IMG_0395.thumb.jpeg.ffbb92043c1576a32eafffd7780abecc.jpeg

-!0 is the average Temperature this time of year

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 minutes ago, DOdo said:

almost the same as here in Edmonton..Edmonton is drier and much sunnier 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
25 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

Met Office mention mid January cold too so I'm all ears!

Aye they do , but if you remember last third of Dec was going to be cold then New year , now mid January 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, johncam said:

Aye they do , but if you remember last third of Dec was going to be cold then New year , now mid January 

Got to be right sooner or later then! But joking aside things feel different this time. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
7 minutes ago, johncam said:

They never favoured cold. They said (and are still saying) there's a chance but wet weather will probably win out. They have not actually forecast cold. just talking about probabilities. Even in January they say it's only a low likelihood... at this point in time anyway

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, LRD said:

They never favoured cold. They said (and are still saying) there's a chance but wet weather will probably win out. They have not actually forecast cold. just talking about probabilities. Even in January they say it's only a low likelihood... at this point in time anyway

Ano , and this will go on till winters over knowing our luck

Posted
1 minute ago, LRD said:

I think it’s an actual upgrade in terms of their wording. The fact they are still seeing a colder spell into January. Much better winter than recent winters. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, johncam said:

Ano , and this will go on till winters over knowing our luck

Maybe you should take a break from this hobby mate - if it's causing you to be down about it

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

Got to be right sooner or later then! But joking aside things feel different this time. 

I hope your right as I am running out of winters being an old git

• Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, LRD said:

Maybe you should take a break from this hobby mate - if it's causing you to be down about it

See below 🤣

Posted
1 minute ago, Big Gally said:

I think it’s an actual upgrade in terms of their wording. The fact they are still seeing a colder spell into January. Much better winter than recent winters. 

It is an upgrade but they are still not favouring it. Some see the word 'cold' in their forecasts and seem to automatically think that's the form horse. It isn't. Yet. It will firm up nearer the time if signs are still there as we move into 2024, of course

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stodge said:

In all fairness, they rarely do. We know a lot of pieces need to fall just right for a prolonged and memorable cold spell (as distinct from brief transient cold with snow on hills).

The models are suggesting a cold or at least chilly spell close to Christmas as the trough drops into Scandinavia (945MB over Sweden anyone?) and you'd think any north or north westerly in December is going to deliver to high ground and at times lower ground in the north.

The brief period of negative alignment caused by the trough dropping SE looks set to be brief as the HP builds back into Iberia and re-setting the alignment to positive. 

There are some "interesting" signs in the background signals and a number of LRF suggested a backloaded winter so we could be looking well into January or even February but we're barely one third of the way into the game - a long way to go.

Exactly. And they're not now. Some put words into their mouths though

Posted

Hi I am new here. Have been following the forum for a while now and I need some advice! 

I am planning on heading to Wengen in Switzerland around 18-23 (next week). I am hoping for lots of snow but based on current forecasts I am unsure on whether I should still go. Ideally I need to make my mind up asap so I was wondering if anyone more experienced on here, or who knows the area, would be able to give their verdict? 

Thank you! 

Ben

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, Ben00 said:

Hi I am new here. Have been following the forum for a while now and I need some advice! 

I am planning on heading to Wengen in Switzerland around 18-23 (next week). I am hoping for lots of snow but based on current forecasts I am unsure on whether I should still go. Ideally I need to make my mind up asap so I was wondering if anyone more experienced on here, or who knows the area, would be able to give their verdict? 

Thank you! 

Ben

@carinthianmay do

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
1 hour ago, DOdo said:

If I were a betting man which I am I would put a tenner on a White Christmas Ladbrokes 8/1

Yes true, at one point it was looking like it could have been -20c, but it’s currently -10c to -15c for the next day or so before warming up to about -5c by the weekend.