Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
50 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

I definitely prefer this weather to that currently being endured in Cairns, Queensland. Have we ever had 500mm of rain in 24 hours with a promise of 500mm more?

It's at ~17 Degrees south so very tropical. Basically in Venezuela. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Summer Sun said:

A taste of spring today with a high of 14.8c in Hawarden, followed by 14.7c in Chillingham Barns, Northumberland.

My Nan loved it there, used to have a cottage, the snow she got in them days was unreal 60's I think

Posted

I can imagine a February going like this

Starting with NE Winds, bringing in a mixture of dense fog and sunhine. temperatures flatline at around 6c by day. Winds change to SE on the 6th, bringing in two days with plenty of sunny spells. Briefly cloudier on the 8th and 9th, and sunny again on the 10th. Temperatures start at 10c, dips to 8c in the cloud, and up to 13c on the 10th

By February Half Term, a S plume brings in unusually warm and sunny conditions. This will culminate at the warmest Valentines Day ever, with 18c recorded in some regions, and 20.7c recorded in London the both the 17th and 18th (Close to Feb 2019s record), however nights may be chilly and it times frosty. Unusual February Thunderstorms will track some places on the 20th. There would be 11 consecutive days of 16c+ and wall-to-wall sunshine

A cold front sweeps through on the 21st, bringing maximas from 17c to just 8c, then falling to 6c the day after. The last 7 days will be dominated by cold NW winds, with a mix of sunshine and snow showers. After a crisp sunny day on the 24th, the 25th will see heavy thundersnow, with a slight accumulation. The night of the 25th/26th and 26th/27th will see increasing snow lying, with 10cm by the 27th, but maximas not too cold at around 4c. The 29th will see more heavy rain, melting the snow

This would end up the sunniest February on record, with sunshine close to double the average,

Edited by baddie

Posted
57 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

I definitely prefer this weather to that currently being endured in Cairns, Queensland. Have we ever had 500mm of rain in 24 hours with a promise of 500mm more?

No but Cairns is a tropical location with a proper wet/dry tropical climate that has around 2,000mm of rain per year. While the flooding is bad it’ll quickly subside and the weather will be back the normal heavy afternoon thunderstorms for the next 4-5months.

Its a pretty awesome climates their actually, despite the rain it gets 2,800hrs of sun per year. Would take that every day of the week with the risk of occasional flooding.  

Edited by Alderc 2.0
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, baddie said:

I can imagine a February going like this

Starting with NE Winds, bringing in a mixture of dense fog and sunhine. temperatures flatline at around 6c by day. Winds change to SE on the 6th, bringing in two days with plenty of sunny spells. Briefly cloudier on the 8th and 9th, and sunny again on the 10th. Temperatures start at 10c, dips to 8c in the cloud, and up to 13c on the 10th

By February Half Term, a S plume brings in unusually warm and sunny conditions. This will culminate at the warmest Valentines Day ever, with 18c recorded in some regions, and 20.7c recorded in London the both the 17th and 18th (Close to Feb 2019s record), however nights may be chilly and it times frosty. Unusual February Thunderstorms will track some places on the 20th. There would be 11 consecutive days of 16c+ and wall-to-wall sunshine

A cold front sweeps through on the 21st, bringing maximas from 17c to just 8c, then falling to 6c the day after. The last 7 days will be dominated by cold NW winds, with a mix of sunshine and snow showers. After a crisp sunny day on the 24th, the 25th will see heavy thundersnow, with a slight accumulation. The night of the 25th/26th and 26th/27th will see increasing snow lying, with 10cm by the 27th, but maximas not too cold at around 4c. The 29th will see more heavy rain, melting the snow

This would end up the sunniest February on record,

February fill dike, I'm going for an Atlantic onslaught, 3-4 named storms, one of wettest and windiest and mildest

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

And 70 days nearer to death.....assuming one doesn't die before hand.......why are people wishing their lives away?

Aye, my Nan will be 99, hope she is still here

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

February fill dike, I'm going for an Atlantic onslaught, 3-4 named storms, one of wettest and windiest and mildest

We do need a dry month, if it cant happen in January, then it has to happen in February

Edited by baddie

Posted
Just now, baddie said:

We do need a dry month, if it cant happen in January, then it has to happen in February

April! E winds to dominate

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

April! E winds to dominate

Expectation : E winds bring in an April 2020 redux
Reality : E winds quickly become NE and bring in nothing but North Sea clag, and makes April the dullest on record and coldest since 1986

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

God your a cheery lot 🤣

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Someone mentioned in the models thread that sub zero temperatures are expected for almost all of January in the north eastern US. Wouldn't that not be good for cold weather in Europe? I'm sure I've seen mention of how cold in North America tends to keep cold out of Europe.

Posted
5 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Would be very nice to have a very mild  wet Feb. I look forward to it.

My prediciton on this forum is giving me vibes that my prediction will happen. Imagine if it does

Edited by baddie

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

😴🤐

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Bit of a soaker heading in , you have to laugh really 

image.thumb.png.304db2bfb4851e60e569a30e92f12368.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Time for some Christmas mediation in here! Breathe in, bite into mince pie, breathe out. 😮‍💨 Maybe we can manifest 1963's ender. 'o needs Santa!

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Time for some Christmas mediation in here! Breathe in, bite into mince pie, breathe out. 😮‍💨 Maybe we can manifest 1963's ender. 'o needs Santa!

Meditation might be more beneficial ; ) anyhow merry Christmas to one and all! I think we are in for an Epic January. Dickens wont have a patch on this one!

Posted

Even tbe charts are uninteresting.  No deep lows, just flat, straight westerlies overtopping the high to our south.

Imagine if it stayed like this all winter... :/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

And 70 days nearer to death.....assuming one doesn't die before hand.......why are people wishing their lives away?

just stating facts at no point did i say i wish it was spring..in fact 70 days ago was 9th October it just shows how time flies.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
31 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Minced beef and onion pie, here, but exactly what I'm doing lol.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow then clear and frosty.

Ok people a whole raft of posts have been hidden,many of them have been reported,can we stop the bickering please.

This is a Winter thread so please leave Summer views out of posts.

Thanks all 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

You've got to laugh at the Met Office write-up for the run into Christmas: "a mix of weather". :D. Sure, if wind and rain, rain amd wind, gales and drizzle is your idea of a "mix".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1