Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ruddy ell! Amazing! We can but dream! I was 6 so don't remember this in the slightest

I was 13 and sent home from school. Me and a few mates took advantage of the bonus day off and went out and enjoyed it. The spell was severe but not that lengthy. Lasted for about 12 days IIRC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Ruddy ell! Amazing! We can but dream! I was 6 so don't remember this in the slightest

Happy memories Ian, nuts to work with but a grand bloke; and yes I remember 1987 well!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Looking likely we'll be on for our third consecutive 100mm+ month around these parts. I am not someone who suffers from SAD, but the last couple of months have been seriously trying. Utterly miserable run-up to Christmas and any hope of a brief cold and frosty spell looks to have been extinguished. Really regretting not booking a winter holiday this year.

Agree. My energy levels are so low ATM. I don't really get SAD mentally, but moreso physically. My auto-immune issues worsen, and my body goes into semi-hibernation mode when we get days and weeks on-end like this where there's basically zero sun / light. I didn't set an alarm the other day on Saturday I think it was, and I woke up naturally around 11am lol, which is very telling about how I react to these sort of conditions!

I was going to go to Latvia with a friend but we've postponed until Spring. Kind of wishing we'd gone in December now tbh 😂

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
5 minutes ago, LRD said:

I was 13 and sent home from school. Me and a few mates took advantage of the bonus day off and went out and enjoyed it. The spell was severe but not that lengthy. Lasted for about 12 days IIRC

funny i find ..it was a hugely severe spell for the UK but it doesn't tend to linger in the memory like 1978-79 or Feb 1986 because it was short lived.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
2 hours ago, SunnyG said:

They are playing my song...

image.thumb.png.8175895f3403237d85897d5cd370bcb7.png

Only 1 / 2 degrees colder than some of the days we had in July this year 😂😂

Good ol' Britain.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn & Mild
40 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I was 8. Was very enjoyable! Would hate it now

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

There comes the cloud clearance but too late to clear away to bring any sunshine so a mostly unusable day.

dji_fly_20231219_150930_553_1702998622200_pano_optimized~2.jpg

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

My youngest last saw snow when she was 3. She's now 8 and doesn't even remember it 😞

OMG thats rubbish , but becoming more typical,  sad.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
14 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

We're on our own way to you darling ...

☺️

Posted
5 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Funny how the UKMO is on 'ignore' over the other thread...Im not brave enough so ill post it here.

UKMOPEU12_144_1.png

Good for lack of disruption for fam travelling over Christmas but

Bad for storing the beer outside.

• Like 4

Posted
31 minutes ago, johncam said:

OMG thats rubbish , but becoming more typical,  sad.

It’s weird to think what era you grew up in could influence the way you view seasons. I was born in 2001 so grew up in a period of cold and snowy winters from 2008-13 and was flabbergasted by the snowless 2013-14. I used to think snowy spells happened every winter!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

It’s weird to think what era you grew up in could influence the way you view seasons. I was born in 2001 so grew up in a period of cold and snowy winters from 2008-13 and was flabbergasted by the snowless 2013-14. I used to think snowy spells happened every winter!

I was born in 73 , so growing up in the winters of 77 -87 , i thought cold spells most or every winter was normal.  Then the late 80s disabused me of that notion.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

I have a question what seperates Tm from rPm airmasses weather wise. I know they are tropical maritime and returning polar but they seem to be pretty similar to me rPm seems a slightly cooler version of Tm. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
20 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Would be very nice to have a very mild  wet Feb. I look forward to it.

I agree about the very mild bit but the wet bit? Not so much… February 2020 comes to mind where it was raining almost every day.. If it’s just going to be 10C, gloomy and damp then I don’t really see the point. But if it’s 8-12°C and sunny on many days then that would be a very pleasant month however.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and Sunny. I hate being cold.

No doubt unpopular on here, but as someone who has to do quite a lot of travelling over the Christmas period I'm just relieved that snow and ice seem unlikely in southern England

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
11 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree about the very mild bit but the wet bit? Not so much… February 2020 comes to mind where it was raining almost every day.. If it’s just going to be 10C, gloomy and damp then I don’t really see the point. But if it’s 8-12°C and sunny on many days then that would be a very pleasant month however.

A mild and dry February would be ideal, I think we've had more than enough rain. Fingers crossed that if January and February do turn out mild, that it doesn't just push all the cold into March and April again.

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Catbrainz said:

I have a question what seperates Tm from rPm airmasses weather wise. I know they are tropical maritime and returning polar but they seem to be pretty similar to me rPm seems a slightly cooler version of Tm. 

From my understanding, Tropical Maritime is air sourced direct from the tropics i.e. south westerly sourced from the Azores.. Returning polor maritime airmasses originate from the north but may still be from a south westerly direction as it hits the UK as it circles an area of low pressure to the west..anyway, rpm is colder and dryer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness

Forget the hunt for snow, this winter is turning into the hunt for sun. OK, so today was always going to be really wet, but when it stopped raining at 2pm I thought I might see a sunset:

Nosun.thumb.PNG.a9e2a3d0dae3545bdcd9e6847f458a78.PNG

But no, of course this has to happen:

Stillnosun.thumb.PNG.8ace61aae50f996e0897f165d2c06508.PNG

Why does this keep happening?

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, TheOgre said:

That's exactly what I thought as a kid up until the snowless 1987/88 winter!

• Like 2