Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Nacreous clouds going even more potent this morning where visible

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

Nacreous clouds going even more potent this morning where visible

I've been desperate to get a look at these but it has been relentlessly overcast so no chance so far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Must feel weird the areas further north and in the Lee of mountains getting above 15c at this time of year, in my location we hit a ceiling at around 12-13c and seem to never go higher no matter how warm the airmass is. Must be the sea air.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

It's so mild/warm that the grasping gas companies will be asking the government to subsidise their profit margins soon...!🤑

This is just awful weather...very, very mild and cloudy to boot. Give me 15c lower and clear blue sunny skies anytime...

Ah well. Family is coming home soon, I'll be cooking some (hopefully!) yummy stuff, and have carols on the radio. Can't control the weather after all, can we...!

Merry Xmas one and all. 

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

A very contrasting Christmas Eve across Europe. Sweden and Norway look particularly cold. Mild for France, the UK, Germany, Denmark and Benelux. 

64D89E85-046E-439B-AB28-51B08C3F64BC.thumb.jpeg.1fa4d28e6591d67e878c050e440f1ead.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Rain & Snow warning issued for eastern parts of Scotland on Wednesday from 06:00 to 23:59

Rain at low levels with 10-15cm of snow above 200 metres

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings?WT.mc_id=Twitter_Weatherdesk_Enquiries#?date=2023-12-27&id=2d075870-1496-4b8f-9f21-b1544cea1d85

Posted
2 minutes ago, SollyOlly said:

It's so mild/warm that the grasping gas companies will be asking the government to subsidise their profit margins soon...!🤑

This is just awful weather...very, very mild and cloudy to boot. Give me 15c lower and clear blue sunny skies anytime...

Ah well. Family is coming home soon, I'll be cooking some (hopefully!) yummy stuff, and have carols on the radio. Can't control the weather after all, can we...!

Merry Xmas one and all. 

Quite agree, but apparently mild's good?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
12 hours ago, SollyOlly said:

Completely agree. It's just warm, warmer and hot these days...how about something seasonal for a change?! 

Yep. I am no longer interested in hearing about warm records being broken as it happens way too often these days that I am now so used to it, particularly during autumn and winter. And just as I guessed would happen, some areas are looking to have their warmest Christmas Eve on record. 🥱

We are certainly well overdue breaking some more cold records. Now that would gain my interest.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

I think those wanting mild weather for reducing heating costs are going to be in luck this January , it's 14.oC here, some of my bedroom windows are open for fresh air. It's very pleasant indeed..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way

Impressive .. according to Simon King  15.5c is the all time record for England on Christmas Eve,  & Wales 15c

image.thumb.png.b6442d279b928bd573b55194fdfcf60d.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Well, this probably equals July as being my least favourite month weather-wise this year. Just woeful.

The first. 2 / 3 days aside, this December has been consistently unseasonal, dull, wet and weirdly mild. Don't think there's been a single properly sunny / clear AND dry day since the start of the month.

As others have mentioned, the main saving grace is saving some £££ on energy bills, so let us all Rejoice and Give Thanks for silver linings where we can...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

Happy  Christmas 

Vintage-Christmas-cards22.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
Just now, StingJet said:

Impressive .. according to Simon King  15.5c is the all time record for England on Christmas Eve,  & Wales 15c

image.thumb.png.b6442d279b928bd573b55194fdfcf60d.png

Temperatures logged before 9am will not count for Christmas Eve in the official logs.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yep. I am no longer interested in hearing about warm records being broken as it happens way too often these days that I am now so used to it, particularly during autumn and winter. And just as I guessed would happen, some areas are looking to have their warmest Christmas Eve on record. 🥱

We are certainly well overdue breaking some more cold records. Now that would gain my interest.

Wouldn’t be surprised if we never saw record breaking cold again in the UK. 

Might as well embrace the change and plant a load of palm trees. Add a bit of greenery to an otherwise dull winter landscape! 🌴 

Edited by cheese
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
3 hours ago, TillyS said:

Plenty of rain to keep England looking green and pleasant with reservoirs topped up. 

The last thing 99% of people or more want is excessive rain. November to early March evaporation rates are too low so even with no rain in that period, England will still be 'green'. And re reservoirs, well we all know the issues with storing freshwater and how they all go into drought concerns and hosepipe bans when there is no rain for 2-3 weeks in spring or summer.

Edited by Metwatch

Posted
8 minutes ago, cheese said:

Wouldn’t be surprised if we never saw record breaking cold again in the UK. 

Might as well embrace the change and plant a load of palm trees. Add a bit of greenery to an otherwise dull winter landscape! 🌴 

😊  Whilst outside bush cutting yesterday, I seriously considered adding a touch of Topiary to one of the bushes , which would be perfect for carving out a green Snowman 

Something along the lines of:

image.thumb.png.4cd4a7b14ad147de46059ba16cd1cf92.png

Edited by StingJet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, SunSean said:

Saw this pair on my dog walk lol. No idea what trees they are but lovely colour! Coupled with the temperature, it's reminiscent of Autumn 😂

20231216_155752.jpg

Taxodium distichum or Swamp Cypress - in all likelyhood. They often keep the foliage until mid Dec.. 😊

Edited by rain_shadow
  • Thanks 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Well, this probably equals July as being my least favourite month weather-wise this year. Just woeful.

The first. 2 / 3 days aside, this December has been consistently unseasonal, dull, wet and weirdly mild. Don't think there's been a single properly sunny / clear AND dry day since the start of the month.

As others have mentioned, the main saving grace is saving some £££ on energy bills, so let us all Rejoice and Give Thanks for silver linings where we can...

Save on heating, spend on lighting.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

14.5c outside!!...this month  in general seems to have got milder as it goes on, either way it won't be remembered for anything but gloom, rain with a bit of wind!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Unrelenting garbage locally.

One of the worst December's in living memory and the competition is fierce .

Comparable to December 2015 here for dullness and wetness, just not quite as excessively mild.

• Like 1

Posted

Guess I'll be posting in this thread for a good while , any changes to this pattern will be towards mid Jan and I've wore that T shirt of disappointment far too many times ..

As an example 

" eps look amazing at day 15" :

7 days later 

" eps look amazing at day 15 "

7 days later ..

It's March.. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Froze were the Days said:

14.5c outside!!...this month  in general seems to have got milder as it goes on, either way it won't be remembered for anything but gloom, rain with a bit of wind!

& some stunning awe inspiring spectacular Polar Stratospheric Clouds,   👍  from a glass half full perspective

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Forecast (netweather at least) was spectacularly wrong today. Some light rain was due around 6/7am then cloudy for the rest of the day. It's been pouring down in since then, only easing now. I genuinely can't remember the last day I saw blue sky or the sun. Thing can only get better, right?

• Like 5