Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Winter 2023/24 Chat and Discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
17 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Not to mention the June high is off - I'm fairly sure Heathrow reached 31.7°C on its hottest day (June 10th).

Upon relooking, Heathrow was indeed at 31.2°C on that day 🤔 A bit strange that it was a full degree below Chertsey, although I suppose it makes sense with Wisley at 31.7°C and Charlwood at 31.6°C.

However, Heathrow did reach 31.3°C on June 25th, according to Starlings Roost.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
19 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Not to mention the June high is off - I'm fairly sure Heathrow reached 31.7°C on its hottest day (June 10th).

Heathrow's warmest day in June 2023 was 31.2c. The warmest day of the year was 33.0c in September.

• Like 1

Posted
52 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Winds of this severity were definitely not forecast - I was not expecting anything as near as aggressive as this before it arrived.

The Met Office is becoming seriously subpar - Station closure after station closure and they can't seem to forecast 💩 anymore. I can't help but think there's a serious funding issue going on.

Yeah, I've been thinking that for some time - either climate change is causing their modelling some severe problems or they're just not trying hard enough.

I look look at their online forecasts and they are often moderately to very wrong - I can get a better forecast by reading this forum and looking at the model output.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka in Sweden has equalled its lowest recorded January temperature with -43.0C it is also the lowest January country temperature since 1999 when Karesuando dropped to -49.0C

• Like 4
  • Insightful 2

Posted
3 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Very nice; have you got a website or similar where I could view more of these?

I don't. I have done the years from 1991 to now (excluding 2003-2005 as Meteociel doesn't have daily data for them for some reason. Maybe Ogimet will).

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
5 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Kvikkjokk-Årrenjarka in Sweden has equalled its lowest recorded January temperature with -43.0C it is also the lowest January country temperature since 1999 when Karesuando dropped to -49.0C

They have my condolences, that's just an inhuman level of cold.

• Thanks 1

Posted

What a vile day. Been watching this site occasionally through the day. There were 137 warnings this morning, now at over 250 and still going up.

image.thumb.png.f354b5d4ce459ce50dcdb99bfc048feb.png

CHECK-FOR-FLOODING.SERVICE.GOV.UK

View current flood warnings and alerts for England and the national flood forecast for the next 5 days. Also check river, sea, groundwater and rainfall levels.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
1 hour ago, Buzz said:

Yeah, I've been thinking that for some time - either climate change is causing their modelling some severe problems or they're just not trying hard enough.

I look look at their online forecasts and they are often moderately to very wrong - I can get a better forecast by reading this forum and looking at the model output.

As I said, I think it's a funding issue. It seems a bit of a coincidence that the number of stations decline quite notably after 2010, especially in areas that once had good coverage...

Nearby foreign agencies in comparison seem to forecast considerably more accurately and also have more station coverage.

Posted
1 hour ago, B87 said:

Heathrow's warmest day in June 2023 was 31.2c. The warmest day of the year was 33.0c in September.

Heathrow appears to have reached 31.3°C on June 25th.

image.thumb.png.8518d0a081e02b1057984379310b78b1.png

1 hour ago, B87 said:

I don't. I have done the years from 1991 to now (excluding 2003-2005 as Meteociel doesn't have daily data for them for some reason. Maybe Ogimet will).

That's a shame. Is there any way I could view them?

Posted
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

How far back does this station's data go, out of interest?

Edited by CryoraptorA303

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

High pressure is coming at last, should be mostly dry rest of this week. Lots of flooding from different rivers in and around Coventry today, which I posted in the Storm Henk thread. Here's to a much drier year

2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

except for Neves

You love him don't ya 😝

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Metwatch said:

High pressure is coming at last, should be mostly dry rest of this week. Lots of flooding from different rivers in and around Coventry today, which I posted in the Storm Henk thread. Here's to a much drier year

You love him don't ya 😝

models still looking good for a dry out, looks a safe thing to say now from Sun 7th, not thinking snow for now or temps, it's all about a dry out, 7 max 4 mins, don't mind

• Thanks 1

Posted

I was very disappointed to see  that the MAD thread  is so occupied chasing frigid  air .. that   no one  flagged up the windstorm over the south today (they did on another thread so big well done to them) surely that's what the thread is for discussing the weather in all its guises and not just cold solutions 

Maybe Netweather should have a separate thread ..called 'chasing cold 10-15 days away starring perb 20!

I believe we are facing a period of anticyclone gloom so when this becomes apparent to the cold zealots I will take a break

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
Just now, Brassmonkeylily said:

I was very disappointed to see  that the MAD thread  is so occupied chasing frigid  air .. that   no one  flagged up the windstorm over the south today (they did on another thread so big well done to them) surely that's what the thread is for discussing the weather in all its guises and not just cold solutions 

Maybe Netweather should have a separate thread ..called 'chasing cold 10-15 days away starring perb 20!

I believe we are facing a period of anticyclone gloom so when this becomes apparent to the cold zealots I will take a break

is a thread for that though, or regionals, not a fan of cherry picked ensembles as can be misleading to newer folk, but it's model discussion

Posted
19 minutes ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Heathrow appears to have reached 31.3°C on June 25th.

image.thumb.png.8518d0a081e02b1057984379310b78b1.png

That's a shame. Is there any way I could view them?

I've just realised that. The one time period on Meteociel that has incomplete data runs across the 24-25 June!

I can upload them to here when I am home. Maybe in the historical data section.

Posted

if you have not looked at the updated Met maps for December 2023 sunshine, I dare you too. Disgusting is an understatement for the past 4 weeks

Edited by baddie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looking forward to the upcoming crisp sunny days. Can't come soon enough. 🌤️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Looking forward to the upcoming crisp sunny days. Can't come soon enough. 🌤️

I would be cautious in thinking that.. lots of posting temperature charts showing negative figures, but cloud will be an issue for many!

Posted
51 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I would be cautious in thinking that.. lots of posting temperature charts showing negative figures, but cloud will be an issue for many!

Noooo it can't be! It's not 2023 any more!!

Posted

So funny .. you know its going all T#**s up when u see the moan thread is as busy or sometimes more than main thread .. when I come on the forum and see that I know its not looking good 😉

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, okidoke said:

So funny .. you know its going all T#**s up when u see the moan thread is as busy or sometimes more than main thread .. when I come on the forum and see that I know its not looking good 😉

Yea 1 page in 4hrs in here compared to over 8 in the main model thread it certainly is flatout in here.🤣🤣🤣

Edited by booferking

Posted

We need a very dry January-May to balance Decembers totals out.

Even if the rest of January is bone dry, it cant be a very dry month, Im already at 34mm so far

Posted
2 minutes ago, RJBingham said:

Upcoming awesome freeze. might even get a frost 🙄 

Screenshot 2024-01-03 at 06-09-39 Somersham - BBC Weather.png

You gitt! You have a sleet shower on Sunday! It does make me smile, the 'main event' they are chasing now in the other thread has moved out another 2 weeks...watch the Azores Low  move in nearer the time to scupper things.

• Like 3