Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
7 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Just scanning the NH plots for mid December on gefs and eps - if we have a quiet December in this thread then we will have been extremely unlucky.  

Signs on the extended ens that the Atlantic hitting a wall at some point against higher heights to our east 

Ditto this- as again  the signal remains @ 2nd week onwards - and some could say increasing.@ possibly Scandinavian rises.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low

GFS still banging the drum for some sort of snow fall in the south west tomorrow. Other models are not so keen.

s1.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
27 minutes ago, tight isobar said:

Ditto this- as again  the signal remains @ 2nd week onwards - and some could say increasing.@ possibly Scandinavian rises.

There are and as many have said, it feels different this year. No signs of anything other than average in 2nd week dec. After a very cold first week, lots to cheerful about. Lengthy cold spells beyond 10 days are a rare thing and always have been on our shores. A cold snowy winter is rarely unbroken cold

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: The fabled channel low
2 minutes ago, Paul said:

UKV has a bit as well. 

Screenshot 2023-11-29 10.01.43.png

Yep - weather  warning just issued by MO for the south west. Potential 5cm on the moors.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow

Inexperienced here but it doesn’t look like it’ll take much to change the picture and keep the cold in.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
15 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

What happens @sheikhy

It didn't slide. Iberian/Euro high incoming

But things still looking good at the pole. There'll probably be more cold at some point in Dec. Let's hope it's the snowy variety next time

Edited by LRD
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted

Our - Meteorological service- Met Eireann in its long range forecast is saying it will be mild and unsettled  for the rest of December. The only crumb of comfort for me is the EC46 didn't  go for this cold  spell and it can often flip in fi. I just hope we are not going to be stuck under slow moving systems for weeks on end due to heights to the North East.  We had enough rain over the last six weeks.

3 minutes ago, LRD said:

Very mild in a week or so

image.thumb.png.ad8f0673479af4f49a0e7421f99b66b3.png

I could live with that if the high then migrated  north or north eastwards a few days later.  I know I am straw clutching 

Edited by Bricriu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Our - Meteorological service- Met Eireann in its long range forecast is saying it will be mild and unsettled  for the rest of December. The only crumb of comfort for me is the EC46 didn't  go for this cold  spell and it can often flip in fi. I just hope we are not going to be stuck under slow moving systems for weeks on end due to heights to the North East.  We had enough rain over the last six weeks.

Thats a brave call of them when we arnt even December yet.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Trigger point- this could be one of thee sparse times the Atlantic/ ejecting energy could be your friend! The azores coaxed towards scandi.keep an eye 👁 on this in future outs!.

4A8490F9-1008-4C66-BAB1-155D1A268E41.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 2

Posted
4 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

I could live with that if the high then migrated  north or north eastwards a few days later.  I know I am straw clutching 

Ouch !

Really hope they are wrong !!

• Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

The Irish met could be correct- as future evolution has a signal for Scandinavian heights- that sadly leaves Ireland only on the cusp of any notable cold.@ easterly/ north easterly inflow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

A better take from the GFS 06z, handling the cold block to our E/NE with more respect than on the 0Z where it cleared it east. See the SW tip of Scandi holding on to that cold and forcing the warmer HP system under rather than through:

animrzr6.gif 

0Z run by D11: image.thumb.png.93bd74dfb15911ad46d30f8e723d2e70.png 06Z:image.thumb.png.26bcaef982a52e9507d492d092a13d2d.png

For the UK that means we move from zonal to sitting under a trough, neither really where we want to be. Pushing the UK back into the cold side of the jet post D10 after that mini-wave of warmth.

Edited by IDO

Posted

The strain on the vortex is clear @10 December ..some serious waving !

B2232372-5610-48F3-BC98-35F708E1FAD1.png

784DD8EB-AD07-4CC5-A875-6603C0BD101D.png

F0F2AE20-F241-4945-95C1-00FCB382F542.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
1 hour ago, Premiere Neige said:

*meteorological winter 🙂

Yes sorry, thinking of Autumn while it should have Winter! My minds on too many things. ..☺

• Like 2