Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted

The return of barbecues synoptic later next week suggests to me the models are probably overreacting to the mild signal and as a result we'll probably see them revert to something more credible in the coming days. That said there's no denying the return of the Atlantic, but the Scandi cold block clearly isn't going to capitulate in the same way our blocks often do - so my guess (for what its worth)  is after 4-5 day of mild weather, temps will return to near or a little below normal of the back of increasing cold zonality, as systems get edged increasingly farther south by the persistent Scandi block.

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, sheikhy said:

Yeh gfs tried mate but to no avail!shame really man😭!!!on to the next spell now i guess!!

Yep.. brush ourselves down.  Maybe a day or two away from models and hopefully go again.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
39 minutes ago, Bricriu said:

Our - Meteorological service- Met Eireann in its long range forecast is saying it will be mild and unsettled  for the rest of December. The only crumb of comfort for me is the EC46 didn't  go for this cold  spell and it can often flip in fi. I just hope we are not going to be stuck under slow moving systems for weeks on end due to heights to the North East.  We had enough rain over the last six weeks.

I could live with that if the high then migrated  north or north eastwards a few days later.  I know I am straw clutching 

I would imagine ,given that it's Ireland that's the easiest default long range forecast there is !

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

The GFS reverts to it's standard default setting towards the end of its run with pumped up lows swirling round the Atlantic for days on end. With the current northern hemisphere profile, this seems unlikely but things will become more clear towards the weekend - if nothing else, its been nice to have the rain ease off for a while.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

May see a flake or two, won't need a shovel though.

image.thumb.png.f06e1bad3dd7f412e33cd805a6c46a42.png

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, DIS1970 said:

May see a flake or two, won't need a shovel though.

image.thumb.png.f06e1bad3dd7f412e33cd805a6c46a42.png

Some might. Not that GFS snow accumulation charts are to be trusted.

06_111_uksnowdepth.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Short ensembles show that the 6z op was a very warm run. But the trend is clearly up, 850s-wise, next week. With the polar profile throughout the entire run, any mild spell might not last too long

image.thumb.png.28e72705dc614ede4849b7f9d96ef669.png

• Like 1

Posted

Models underestimated amount of snow showers/ precip peppering from North Sea today… sign of things to come?

Nothing forecasted here all day from met office but currently snow showers on and off for past 30 mins leaving a light dusting. Don’t lose hope guys! 

Edited by Dundeeguy
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
2 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

Are we talking no snow or a little for a few places. I'm confused 😂 

Go in the regionals. There’s some lucky members posting pictures of snow.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Don’t discount something much colder in the medium term, the GEFS ENS are really going for a scandy high by day 9, even the mean 🤞🤞

IMG_1625.png

IMG_1622.png

IMG_1623.png

IMG_1624.png

IMG_1626.png

IMG_1628.png

IMG_1629.png

Even at the end of the very mild op run there were hints in deepest FI of a Scandi high wanting to form. 

• Like 5

Posted
21 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

There maybe some that dismiss the drivers as a joke,but I think many on here (me include) are happy to learn about them. You pointed out that Blocking was not possible due to know forcing behind it..but changes on a micro scale altered that logic. Not having a go at you over it as making 100% accurate weather predictions in nigh on impossible.

Sometimes the drivers can fail due to other little nuisances rearing there heads...bit they do remain a solid pointer to where we may be heading weeks down the line..But some need to keep in mind that MJO moving into phase 7/8 will not guarantee a cold and blocked outcome...a strong PV in the wrong place can rule this out as we've seen many times before. And kee in mind if the teleconnections are barking up the wrong tree,then NWP is most likely going to be barking up the wrong tree also.

But yeh they are a very important tool and perhaps the few that decide to dismiss them purely refuse too learn by them...or really understand them.

This is my point also its for the broader scale of Northern hemisphere and won't pick up micro scale blocking the Atlantic could become active which is very likely but the vortex is weak and so is the jet stream plus running south throw up a small ridge north of us and we end up on cold side of the jet prolong the cold spell.

Edited by booferking
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

Yes...looking for those reds to intensify as per gfs6z fi....

animdkt7.thumb.gif.12d3730cb88113899085577392f3ba55.gif

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

Looks like my expectation for an unsettled start to December is going to come to fruition after all, just with a bonus cold spell before hand. 

Quite a few turn their noses up at background drivers/teleconnections in this thread, I suspect due to a lack of understanding them but I think that’s a shame, they are an incredibly useful tool and add a lot of context to NWP outputs. 

IMG_3438.thumb.png.428ac0fe67bf9019d4f03ab406aaa245.png

The MJO continues it’s progression eastwards is a rather amplified state, this wave has been a little faster than modelled and is expected to reach the central Pacific sometime around mid December, meanwhile we should see overall GLAAM rising via frictional & mountain torque processes thanks to this MJO wave with WWB’s returning. 

i.e I don’t expect we’ll see an Atlantic onslaught for weeks on end, it’s very possible we see a switch to more blocked/colder conditions over the Christmas period > into early January. 

Just a thought on this, given background drivers are always in a state of flux, it would seem that on very rare occasions  the background signals can be overridden. Look at the winter of 1962/63, I presume the MJO and AAM weren't  conducive to blocking through that extremely long lasting  spell,but the intense blocking must have overriden them. Perhaps if we had an omega block this time with the cold well entrenched the same thing might have happened this time. I take your point though that they generally have a huge bearing on what type of weather we are likely to have .