Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

image.thumb.png.a5030ea9572bad784fd7a3dd0de9fddb.png

Day 8 and the Siberian express is knocking on Polands door..

Stunning depth of cold across the east. Haven't seen anything like that for a long time, if ever. Stark differences for them compared to (comparitively) warm winter spells they've had in recent years. As long as that is perpetuated then we have increased chances of tapping into it. Very exciting times and a treat considering how awesome it was watching the models this time last year. Just hope it doesn't fall apart like last year!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
1 minute ago, Blessed Weather said:

ICON 12z very interesting. Big low unable to make progress against an emerging Scandi High:

animuek1.gif

That theme has been growing. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
5 minutes ago, Gowon said:

That 250mph low pressure system holding 100 billion trillion tons of water just got brushed aside 🤣

image.thumb.png.4eb90dd7dc55b2ab1e2f7ddabd9d7228.png

Not before dumping a few of those trillions over my back yard though ☺️

image.thumb.png.808c05615b09f880a0434624a92cefe8.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
2 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

ICON 12z very interesting. Big low unable to make progress against an emerging Scandi High:

animuek1.gif

This is going to be very tricky and I anticipate bitten off fingers by the time we get to this time next weekend. I think I saw that SST to our southwest are much warmer than normal, so lows blowing up in that region may not be that unrealistic, but coming into a mean block like that, they may very well be stopped in their tracks. With the USA's cold pool being depleted, it seems to me that despite potential short-lived intensity, lows may not have much forcing, and if we do see a major block, it could lead to some rather explosive battleground situations, perhaps with the block more likely to win out compared to usual. That could be the ingredients for some tasty/nasty (depends on your affliction) conditions. Gale-force, bitterly cold southeasterly winds with moisture-laden air can be the ingredients for blizzards.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

Exeter update ties in with what we are seeing.......in a cautious way of course.

• Like 5

Posted

I've noticed a lot of disagreement on here between those posters who are tending to follow background drivers and teleconnections, and those who are following the NWP output. I sometimes dabble a bit in both, so don't really take a side on the issue.

Really though, the disconnect isn't as big as a lot of people think it is. Background drivers tend to cause shifts in either probability or impact of weather regimes, whereas NWP gives us a short range look at what is happening.

We can tot up the factors that we know affect our weather, and come to a lot of statements about probabilities and impacts. For example, northern blocking increases the probability of blocking the Atlantic off and getting us into a northerly or easterly, and colder than average conditions over Scandinavia increases the impact (cold) effect of that event if it happens. Similarly, the general trend towards an expansion of the Azores high over recent decades increases the probability of south-westerlies, and the current warm sea surface temperatures increase the impact (mild). Certain MJO cycles favour colder weather, and others favour mild.

But these are only probabilities - we could have a good-looking cold setup with blocking but if the positioning and timing isn't right, we can end up with raging south-westerlies anyway. An SSW can still be a bust. Similarly, despite the record global warmth at the moment, who is to say that Europe can't be the exception to the rule?

In short, the two schools of thought should complement one another. The background drivers give an idea of probabilities and impacts, but aren't a guarantee, and should be looked at alongside NWP, and vice versa.

• Like 7
  • Insightful 2

Posted

After seeing the huge BFTE being blown away with ease by a small low  in 2018 I've never believed the cold is hard to shift myth, that was a rude awakening. With this cold spell though I do think there could be surprises, because we have positive reinforcements e.g. Canadian warming after the jet fires up, as opposed to waiting the inevitable after our initial block loses strength. If those reinforcements can affect the jet on time there's no reason we can't stay in the cold side. As said a few days ago the timing of those conflicting interactions will result in the messiest charts ever.

Edited by Snowy L
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love snow
14 minutes ago, Gowon said:

That 250mph low pressure system holding 100 billion trillion tons of water just got brushed aside 🤣

image.thumb.png.4eb90dd7dc55b2ab1e2f7ddabd9d7228.png

Brutal 🫣😂

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

What about the low following it?

Answered your own question hopefully. Following it.😃What we do know from painful past experiences is that if the output heads the way many would like it is NEVER in the bag until “you can see the train coming” they’ve gone wrong at T72 before.

We are in the game, can’t ask for much more at this time.

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.
2 minutes ago, Aiden2012 said:

Brutal 🫣😂

🤣

I hope Kasim can take a joke🙃

• Like 4

Posted
8 minutes ago, Chasbrown said:

What about the low following it?

If the block is going to hold then big may not be an issue as it will drive stronger WAA and support the ridge even more 

• Like 9

Posted
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Hoping UKMO is a tad further south than Gfs ..

IMG_9564.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1