Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

So far the runs have downgraded snow chances in the south midland and down towards the M4 - although the BBC still uses the mornings ECMs graphics with everything much further south. I imagine we’ll be waiting till tomorrow lunchtime for it to firm up. Either way I think some people will be getting substantial snow, anyway from the M4 to Scotland 😂

What's about south Wales 200m ASL?❄️😅🤞

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

What's about south Wales 200m ASL?❄️😅🤞

Looking good there I’d say 👌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mucka said:

That GFS Op went against the ensemble mean by 96h as does the control in being too progressive.

By 120h the difference against the mean is a bit of a red flag. 

GFS Op V GFS mean 120h

gfs-0-120.png?12gens-31-1-120.png

Not really in agreement mucka - I wouldn’t expect the mean to catch the slp detail in a situation as we have next week. The upper pattern looks pretty solid agreement. I’d be quite content that the gfs op is well within tolerance of its ens 

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

This is far from resolved...

gensnh-16-1-132.png

gensnh-5-1-132.png

gensnh-6-1-132.png

gensnh-13-1-132.png

gensnh-18-1-132.png

gensnh-19-1-132.png

gensnh-22-1-132.png

gensnh-29-1-132.png

gfs-coventry-gb-525n-15w (2).png

how on earth can Perb 7 be so different than the Op at 5.5 days - yes I get that adjustments to starting conditions are applied to in essence stress test the OP - but come on the difference is to wild for such a short timelead

Edited by TSNWK
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in the Summer, cold and snowy in the winter, simples!
1 minute ago, bluearmy said:

Not really in agreement mucka - I wouldn’t expect the mean to catch the slp detail in a situation as we have next week. The upper pattern looks pretty solid agreement. I’d be quite content that the gfs op is well within tolerance of its ens 

The longwave pattern does suggest a breakdown and I already stated that in a previous post, but here we are discussing how far E and how quickly the Atlantic pushes and the fact is the GFS Op is extremely progressive in pushing milder air NE.

It is unusual for the Op to be so out of kilter with its ensemble suite in such a short a timeframe 96/120h and it is very much at the progressive end of the scale even if we disregard the signal mean being distorted with the more blocked runs that you are dismissing.

How far NE the Atlantic pushes from any breakdown matters if we are considering the possibility of blocking returning before mid Dec

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
2 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

how on earth can Perb 7 be so different than the Op at 5.5 days - yes I get that adjustments to starting conditions are applied to in essence stress test the OP - but come on the difference is to wild for such a short timelead

The op and control follow each other. I'm sure I read it on here that you can put added confidence in an op solution if the control is following it (I know ECM now combines op and control but GFS doesn't as far as I'm aware)

Posted
2 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

UKMO 168

The entrenched cold across Scandy under threat ..

image.thumb.png.f3c00f0f7c071a5766ceb5051b928ae3.png

this is next big concern - I think we can safely say that is 95% on Milder  for UK middle of next week onwards - we need it to stop there though and hope that we dont lose SCandi cold pool.. 

Impact of which is illustrated around day 12 on 12GFS - whereby synoptic wide it looks ok, but there is no cold to tap into because its all be flushed out for Scandi.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

We need a last minute winner 🏆 ie EC trends 50 miles south with the low Sunday..

Trouble is we're 2-0 down so need 3 last minute strikes!

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

this is next big concern - I think we can safely say that is 95% on Milder  for UK middle of next week onwards - we need it to stop there though and hope that we dont lose SCandi cold pool.. 

Impact of which is illustrated around day 12 on 12GFS - whereby synoptic wide it looks ok, but there is no cold to tap into because its all be flushed out for Scandi.

I think even cold radicals like me on here accept a period of Atlantic dominated weather post tues/wed,the key question of course is how long ..

The back ground drivers seem relatively positive but thry have before ,and it doesn't always work out for us.

Overall, really happy we've had frosty nights here since Monday, killing all those nasty airborne bugs!!

I'm thinking a good week possibly a bit longer of +NAO hopefully the MJO does its thing and help buckle what will likely be a strong jet .

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
6 minutes ago, BarnetBlizzard said:

Mean GEFS 12z has more heights into Scandi at at 162h compared to 6z. Some similar to Icon 12z in that respect.

Being realistic, I think the latest mean charts are indicating a gradual change towards less cold / milder and more unsettled next week..I wish it wasn’t so, as does yoda! 😬 😜 

IMG_1891.thumb.gif.447c5e78709163afeb878ec14c05ae8c.gif

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

I like the last line of the METO long range , a chance of a longer cold spell later into Dec!! Guessing that’s MJO related!!

anyway, cmon ECM 🥶🤞

Yes, that was an interesting little sign off from the Met!

Posted

image.thumb.png.5bc7e637d54c099cf165c4959d4ab1a6.png image.thumb.png.6d14666498fbeee7e14ed351892c7b6e.png 

haha Yoda wants nothing more than a full blown Easterly! I'm definitely not saying an Easterly is likely but there are just some small signs that the Scandi high could have more influence on weather in around 8-10 days time then is shown on GFS OP/UKMO

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
31 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

This is far from resolved...

gensnh-16-1-132.png

gensnh-5-1-132.png

gensnh-6-1-132.png

gensnh-13-1-132.png

gensnh-18-1-132.png

gensnh-19-1-132.png

gensnh-22-1-132.png