Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

6z OP in the FAR REACHES OF FI (not reality) is moving towards a Genoa LP and a slider into cold air.

Pleeeeaaaase 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Control about to follow the op too I think 👌🥶 HP starting to pivot and head north 

IMG_1730.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

I think some would benefit from stepping away from the models for a couple of days, the ranges were looking at here make following individual deterministic runs a waste of time. 

IMG_3705.thumb.png.41323692af5727ae7d6a0c144a3a5385.png

The ENS are beginning to trend colder at the extreme end of the run, that’s all we’d really expect to be seeing for now. 

See if any can leave the models alone for 5 days, 7 would be a huge challenge.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot summers

Last chart, massive Artic Outbreak 🫡

image.thumb.png.d792b313a50ba911e61cb675b5e42a6f.png

• Like 8

Posted

Would prefer that Azores ridge to be less amplified but on the whole I'd take it.

Given the fact GEFS tends to overestimate vortex strength and that 6% of it's ensemble members are still predicting a change to an easterly around New Year's week, I'd certainly say we still have a chance of an SSW event.

Screenshot_20231208_112316_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20231208_112500_Chrome.jpg

Edited by jmp223
Typo
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Think the only downside of the GFS run is that the block never really sticks - collapses and brings back the Atlantic. 

However we all know models have struggled with the blocking at short time scales over the past few weeks, so I think there's no need to worry about this for now. Also a bias for the GFS to bring back the Atlantic too soon in the outer frames. 

But can we just give a moment to say what model consistency we have at 240hrs across the majority of models? Rarely do we see such good agreement at longer timeframes here in the UK. Just a case of where the high ends up after the UK high and can it be secured enough for some pretty cold uppers? 

• Like 3

Posted

If there is going to be a Block it's going to be Iceland/ Greenland ,certainly initially.

The theme seems solid enough ,Atlantic regime  followed by a Blocking High in our locale.

We then move onto the tricky bit ,will the High retrogress and how will shortwaves/energy  effect how much the High retrogresses.

Would be amazing to get a Greeny High Christmas week, alternately we could see zero retrogression and the High sinking into Europe ..

Lots to analyse inc background drivers .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.

Should we be looking for it to go nw or ne? That’s quite a change on the mean.

edit. On reflection it’s probably more to do with the Russian high than the one that is likely over us.

IMG_0308.png

IMG_0307.png

Edited by That ECM
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
14 minutes ago, CoventryWeather said:

Think the only downside of the GFS run is that the block never really sticks - collapses and brings back the Atlantic. 

However we all know models have struggled with the blocking at short time scales over the past few weeks, so I think there's no need to worry about this for now. Also a bias for the GFS to bring back the Atlantic too soon in the outer frames. 

But can we just give a moment to say what model consistency we have at 240hrs across the majority of models? Rarely do we see such good agreement at longer timeframes here in the UK. Just a case of where the high ends up after the UK high and can it be secured enough for some pretty cold uppers? 

That's the problem,  it collapses,  and the ECM  control is any better , but all academic as its 14 days away , hopefully get something more seasonal between Xmas and New Year 

Posted

Very disappointing the high collapses , that could be due to the MJO letting us down.  Well I'll take that run if  it means we have the chance of a White Christmas before all that happens.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

It’s a single deterministic run at day 15..

Aye. Nowt ta worry about. The trend be our friend!

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Met4Cast said:

Looking at the GEFS towards Xmas it suggests the model suite is picking up a signal to pull heights W/NW, the mjo plots I'm hoping,will be picking up a bit more amplitude in the wave ,really would be a big positive if we see this occur and lend more weight to this retrogreessive signal )..

• Like 2

Posted

I figured out why the Australian MJO forecast is higher in Phase 5 through 8 all the time. They are of course plotting these in the southern hemisphere and are upside down, so the line falls away from the COD naturally. Simple working this out in the end after trying to look into it this week. 😉

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Yes,I suppose the post was a tad negative.  Even if it proves to be correct  , it doesn't really matter as it could be the appetiser before the main course in January. Also even the best winters  in terms of cold and snow had milder periods.

Posted
Just now, Bricriu said:

Yes,I suppose the post was a tad negative.  Even if it proves to be correct  , it doesn't really matter as it could be the appetiser before the main course in January. Also even the best winters  in terms of cold and snow had milder periods.

This is our mild period the onslaught of cold starts just before Christmas and runs right through January 🙏😝

• Like 1