Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)

Hi Pressure, is too much in control for my liking and always too close to our south-west. That’s not allowing the cold to flood south.

we need that high to go more mid-Atlantic and not elongated, but vertical opening floodgates, and at the moment I can’t see that happening on the latest runs

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

High sinking UKMO 168hrs as per NWS comment yesterday. 

Where is the amplification coming from 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Looks poor. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

Just sat back reading the pages as they come in as busy with work but what a mad roller coaster once again! What will the ECM do I wonder? Entertaining if nothing else.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Harsh Climate said:

Id say awful is a bartlett, dartboard low or impending Atlantic onslaught, ukmo shows neither.

I meant awful in the context of what I was hoping for 😁

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
Just now, northwestsnow said:

Yes we might have rogue ops..

It's not impossible ..

i'd be trusting ens over ops from 23rd onwards (the point at which a good few Ens nosedive and the op climbs).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme cold & snow

Appalling post Xmas Op run typified below. Lets hope to *#%* the GEFS & ECM give some hope. 😁

GFSOPEU12_288_1.thumb.png.bd12738776be952f3a1a8f7795daf895.pngGFSOPEU12_288_2.thumb.png.daa08b3e58e7d1973e867001ef05bcf0.png

Shorties are OK so far.

ens_image.thumb.png.79b2700b064eff88e18671e845adfe5b.png

Edited by Purga
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Purga said:

Appalling post Xmas Op run typified below. Lets hope to *#%* the GEFS & ECM give some hope. 😁

GFSOPEU12_288_1.thumb.png.bd12738776be952f3a1a8f7795daf895.pngGFSOPEU12_288_2.thumb.png.daa08b3e58e7d1973e867001ef05bcf0.png

Shorties are OK so far.

ens_image.thumb.png.79b2700b064eff88e18671e845adfe5b.png

At least the Op isn't the coldest on this run for the 25th, but it is still on the cold side of the cluster.

Posted

As mentioned, won't be until early next week models will settle on the likely lead in to christmas 23-25 Dec, I fully expect short term developments/ features to pop up. The forcing is from a very unstable arctic profile, this to me looks to have the power to fend off the azores/iberian heights.. more runs needed. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow

For as far as I can see there is little agreement across models. What is being shown is a representative output of the different EPS. It is hard to say whether the ridge will succeed and all depends on the behaviour of the through near New Foundland. Those are details which may have a large effect. EPS till day 10 are not worse for what I can see. Models clearly "struggle". gfs-leeuwarden-nl-53n-6e.thumb.jpeg.c2a24ecafc4bf5f5decf558bf53cdf6f.jpeg

Edited by AO-

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

As mentioned, won't be until early next week models will settle on the likely lead in to christmas 23-25 Dec, I fully expect short term developments/ features to pop up. The forcing is from a very unstable arctic profile, this to me looks to have the power to fend off the azores/iberian heights.. more heights needed. 

Whilst I agree it'll be early next week before we can have any real confidence in the general direction of travel, I think the complete opposite...imo Iberian heights will prevent all but the far north and east seeing anything resembling genuine cold (as opposed to just feeling cold in the wind) both pre and across the Xmas period....though obviously I hope you're correct.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

There’s no reason to concern about super cold and snow during  Christmas.   It’s very early winter, chilly will do for me but I remember the super warm Xmas (in Swansea) in 1985……historic winter month + followed.  Won’t go any further….chances will be there…..and btw I remember more Green Christmas’ than white….a lot more…and i’m no Spring chicken 😃

BFTP

• Like 4