Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into Winter

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion. Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like some localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
21 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES 3 said:

Firstly folks I would like to say a massive thanks for all the well wishes I've received from many of you over the loss of my best mate and dad. I showed them to my mom and she was genuinely moved. Its given me a lift that so many show so much care and sympathy during difficult times. Your an amazing bunch and I really hope you get all the rewards you crave for.

For the weather I said a while back that backend of December next month could change. And I'm seeing from a few ens that the pv could be about to be displaced maybe even a split....I feel your pain regarding the way things have gone wrong for this latter part of this month....but do remember we are not alone...The USA has been very mild and largely snowless also!

No downgrade from Exeter regarding colder conditions perhaps becoming more likely next month. We have plenty of time and I feel the pattern will be completely shook up post Xmas.

Once again...much love guys and gals...you've cheered up this rather sad individual right now. And I will continue to try and inject a positive vibe into this gr8 thread.

gensnh-2-1-360.png

gensnh-10-1-384.png

gensnh-15-1-360.png

gensnh-16-1-336.png

gensnh-17-1-336.png

gensnh-27-1-372.png

Sorry to hear your sad news @MATTWOLVES 3

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold
6 minutes ago, Purga said:

A very marked D10 difference between ECM 0z & 12z just highlighting how much uncertainty there is.

0z                                                                   12z

ECMOPEU00_240_1.thumb.png.d8493a8197c8eafdbd20de5b1bc41108.pngECMOPEU12_240_1.thumb.png.c18a04755af2f761b15fbf28d969f05f.png

crazy! massive difference

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter spring autumn

Sometimes if feels like we are fishing in a pond with no fish🤨

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
  • Weather Preferences: Any Extreme
  • Location: Sheffield South Yorkshire 160M Powering the Sheffield Shield
4 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

crazy! massive difference

Not really models tend to struggle that far out unless the conditions are really benign i.e weak jet stream.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Day_9 said:

Tbf we get more white easters than xmas’

Not this myth again… comes out every year 🤣

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mucka said:

And so it came to pass

that Christmas was alas

not white as I'd forecast.

there's still a chance......do you have a lamb to slaughter to the gods??

• Like 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Not this myth again… comes out every year 🤣

I wonder whether the stat would work e.g. for Valentines Day vs. Christmas Day? Or the start of meteorological Spring i.e. 1st March vs. Christmas Day? Anyway, taking things a bit off topic.

To get back to the models, the GFS 12z OP appears to have been a mild outlier, so all is not yet lost. Possibly enough in the ensembles to not rule out a White Christmas further south, odds against but a better chance in Northern England, and good chances for Scotland. I would say it all depends on where you are in the country as to whether there's any cause for optimism.

gfs-london-gb-515n-0e(4).thumb.png.cceb92af50014095d71af8a5d2c33ddb.pnggfs-leeds-gb-54n-15w(1).thumb.png.5179908216601e2076e8422010d13014.pnggfs-aberdeen-gb-57n-2w(2).thumb.png.f62fc0d35867f39f3dd3b1eee7f36342.png

Posted
1 minute ago, WYorksWeather said:

In the short-term, today's UKV still looks quite nasty for Thursday.

image.thumb.png.e47c015ba2bf57ae4551fde3a9a660b4.pngimage.thumb.png.5276c5720d84040fec89d1d0ccce15a9.pngimage.thumb.png.81aff56ded4fed8902f4e23fd3ec542f.pngimage.thumb.png.f589573d71d3d6a0659c68b5d75d571d.pngimage.thumb.png.0150d1c47fb031870ac9b9df9ed5f55b.png

I think a good proactive decision from Exeter to issue the yellow warning early.

image.thumb.png.43fe35161c7f00bba8dd437905d1b839.png

Just be a typical windy day in Yorkshire.. 

• Like 2

Posted

Oh dear another wild goose chase ! 

Having stolen the Xmas pressies and trashed the tree the ECM wants to make up .

Thanks but no thanks ! 

Oh okay then one last heave of hope ! 

• Like 4

Posted
Just now, Harsh Climate said:

Just be a typical windy day in Yorkshire.. 

Yeah it's not that unusual, hence the yellow. Probably need a bit more certainty about where, if anywhere, will see 80mph+ for it to be amber-worthy.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
24 minutes ago, Mucka said:

And so it came to pass

that Christmas was alas

not white as I'd forecast.

Personally I blame the Greg Lake Effect.

• Like 8

Posted
Just now, WYorksWeather said:

Yeah it's not that unusual, hence the yellow. Probably need a bit more certainty about where, if anywhere, will see 80mph+ for it to be amber-worthy.

I think for the western isles of Scotland and any high-sided vehicles headed north maybe over the Pennines, they want to stay tuned.. Anywhere else any damage should be quite sporadic, Blanket yellow warning certainly warranted like ya say.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
49 minutes ago, blizzard81 said:

ECH1-240 (2).gif

that really is an incredibly chart for NA ..above freezing right across the continent almost touching the arctic ocean in places 😎

• Like 1

Posted

9 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks but no thanks ! 

Edited by BartyHater
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.

Evening , going by that fax chart ,looks like Met Office will be ramping up a powerful wind potential during Thursday. 82mb difference between Southern Scandinavia and the high to the SW of British Isles centred over the Atlantic.  Models all out of sync at the moment. Not only Christmas period forecast  unpredictable at the moment but the Winter Solstice  forecast even in jeopardy. Think some rapid changes over the next few days.

20231218.webp

Edited by carinthian
  • Like 6
  • Insightful 3

Posted

Evening all 🙂

ECM at T+240 does throw the live grenade into the sack of presents but as others have opined it's hard to take seriously until and unless we see some support.

It's always looked like a milder interlude through Christmas and New Year especially for the south but perhaps wetter than I had first thought with a succession of shallow LP moving through the British Isles. As to the start of 2024, no real clues - glancing at the 10HPA on GFS still piques the interest for a strong warming but I doubt we'll see any benefit as all it will do initially is knock the PV back over to our side of the northern hemisphere so if I had to hazard a forecast for the first part of January, I'd go with unsettled, possibly stormy at times and mild.

Posted
13 minutes ago, nick sussex said:

Thanks but no thanks ! 

the cheek. 

Edited by BartyHater
Wrong person answer

Posted
3 minutes ago, carinthian said:

Evening , going by that fax chart ,looks like Met Office will be ramping up a powerful wind potential during Thursday. 82mb difference between Southern Scandinavia and the high to the SW of British Isles centred over the Atlantic.  Model all out of sync at the moment. Not only Christmas period forecast  unpredictable at the moment but the 

20231218.webp

You didn’t finish Carinthian, especially as you are one of the few sane posters at the moment

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold with a lot of snow
5 minutes ago, stodge said:

Evening all 🙂

ECM at T+240 does throw the live grenade into the sack of presents but as others have opined it's hard to take seriously until and unless we see some support.

It's always looked like a milder interlude through Christmas and New Year especially for the south but perhaps wetter than I had first thought with a succession of shallow LP moving through the British Isles. As to the start of 2024, no real clues - glancing at the 10HPA on GFS still piques the interest for a strong warming but I doubt we'll see any benefit as all it will do initially is knock the PV back over to our side of the northern hemisphere so if I had to hazard a forecast for the first part of January, I'd go with unsettled, possibly stormy at times and mild.

At least EC is consistent in shaking up the pattern albeit in the FI. It has taken several runs where the vortex gets punches, let alone the EC00. This run is a nice example of how something wintry might pop up in a few days. The past, november 2010 as the most recent example, has shown nice similarities to this run. Not to get too exited, but I really like this operarional.

Edited by AO-
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Northeasterly Blizzard and sub zero temperatures.
3 minutes ago, Laurence Hill said:

You didn’t finish Carinthian, especially as you are one of the few sane posters at the moment

Sorry Laurence, pressed submit button to soon ? Have edited.

Must be getting excited about my Christmas visit back to blighty !

• Like 5