Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

SE, London and East Anglia Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun in summer, Snow in Winter
25 minutes ago, BLS said:

Now I am not exaggerating here but it’s like a blizzard here the last few minutes visibility is down to less that 100m from my office in Maidstone looking towards blue bell hill 

Just drove over Bluebell Hill . Was like a blizzard. M2 Coast bound down to 2 lanes. London bound M2 closed due to accident(s) 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather
28 minutes ago, throwoff said:

I wouldn't rely on the models so much here, it has already proven to be different to what was expected.

No offence throwoff but to my untrained eye, the following expected Radar returns, will have this about right.

FWIW, I think the amount of Snowfall seen has been, has roughly been what was expected, and apart from perhaps a light Snow Shower, I wouldn't expect a lot more, now.

Below, is a link to the Dutch Radar Website [Buienradar]

WWW.BUIENRADAR.NL

Actuele buienradar en actueel weer voor Nederland en Europa, actuele satellietbeelden, actuele temperaturen, neerslag, en veel meer!
12 minutes ago, TSNWK said:

Hello..  so are thinking the showers will start fading away shortly as the -12 clear through?

Well that's the theory, TSMWK but I stand to be corrected and of course, hope I'm wrong, 

Just saw a Forecast from Chris Fawkes, there was a definite reduction in Shower activity as we go through the Afternoon.

Of course the Wintry Ppn we are seeing currently was due to the interaction between those -12c 850's and the  +8c temps over the Southern North Sea, a few hours ago. With a reduction in those 840's, you should see a resulting reduction in Shower activity, as we go through the Afternoon. There was also a bit of convergence going on, as well.

The rest of the Week for our Region now looks dry but remaining cold, with some Frost and Fog about at Night.

Then next Week, another surge of Cold air is expected from the North but that's not a great direction for Snow, for our Region.

Our best chance of seeing Snow could come from a disturbance in the flow, running down from the North, or perhaps courtesy of an area of Low Pressure attempting to move in from the S.W,, and riding up against the entrenched Cold air, with an initial period of Snow but this is usually a temporary affair, with the milder air usually winning out.

But as I'm due to start a course of Radiotherapy at Sidcup, in a ferw Weeks time and am concerned how road conditions will be like at that time, it/s S--s Law, we are in for a severe spell of Wintry Weather!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, sleet, Snow
6 minutes ago, colonelks said:

Better than nothing!

IMG_0646.jpeg

I have better than nothimg as well

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

The clear skies over the continent will be in association with drier air that will bring clear skies over the next couple of days. This will clear the stratified clouds that most have seen today. This will likely kill off convection (less moisture, less showers) but there may still be some scattered showers before the cold air fully clear.

Edited by Captain Shortwave
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow Snow and more Snow!
6 minutes ago, Swave Snow said:

But the showers seem to be back building now

It's going to pick up more over the sea.

Posted

Just been told Arriva are stopping services in and around Medway. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
18 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

That's the part I was talking about, there's nothing behind it.. Can see the clear slot approaching the North Sea from Europe

Surely these showers are not coming from out in the North sea and Europe, but they being created around the estuary, so as long as there is a big temp difference between the upper air and the sea, and the flow remains favourable, they just keep coming?

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.

Heavy snow now on the South Coast.

Bog goose flakes, 1c and sticking with elevation😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
Just now, dubmuffin said:

Surely these showers are not coming from out in the North sea and Europe, but they being created around the estuary, so as long as there is a big temp difference between the upper air and the sea, and the flow remains favourable, they just keep coming?

Exactly this

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny Days and a little Snow.

DP will play a role now in any showers, rather than yoyoing between snow showers

Edited by Kent Blizzard
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Yep, to an extent - more info here:

WWW.NETWEATHER.TV

Very cold easterly flow, found when a high pressure sits over Scandinavia and brings air to the UK from Siberia. If conditions are right, significant snow can result.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Afternoon all 🙂

Nice to see some sleety snow here in East London though nothing has settled in the urban heat island.

• Like 1

Posted

Just popped out on errands here in the snow capital of the high weald. Snow settling the main roads currently, lanes now covered, all is white, and we are officially living in a winter wonderland.

Looks like we have a good half hour of decent to good shower activity lined up, but nothing behind really looks like it matches the showers this region has had over the past couple of hours. Would be a shame if it doesn't keep up till evening, as this could turn into a real event.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
15 minutes ago, Neilsouth said:

Sat image says otherwise, you can see the clear slot coming in behind

Clipboard02.jpg

The convection builds over the North Sea, not the low countries. It's the disparity between relatively warm sea temperatures and very cold upper air that sparks the convection. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days

We need to be eyeing the now forming precipitation line running 🏃‍♂️ from Denmark/ northern most Germany-.. has more than a streamer setter about it- And perhaps more northerly extension ie the wash coming into vision!

1E67164B-E761-4E39-8803-FD43B3BDAFE0.png

3F9CEDE1-DB9D-433D-9FB3-4E75A86226D2.png

Edited by tight isobar
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.

Heavy stuff over for here, got only light stuff coming in from the channel, it tried but to many gaps for landing here. Was nice to see falling snow, well it's still snowing tbf.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!
WWW.ALAMY.COM

Find the perfect a car driving through a snow flurry in lenham, kent. sleet and snow showers have been forecast for parts of the country on monday as some regions are still trying to grapple with flooding following...

A few photos just put on here in Lenham, Kent.

image.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and Frosty Mornings

Nice, cold here but that's it.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers and cold snowy winters
19 minutes ago, Tom Quintavalle said:

No offence throwoff but to my untrained eye, the following expected Radar returns, will have this about right.

FWIW, I think the amount of Snowfall seen has been, has roughly been what was expected, and apart from perhaps a light Snow Shower, I wouldn't expect a lot more, now.

Below, is a link to the Dutch Radar Website [Buienradar]

WWW.BUIENRADAR.NL

Actuele buienradar en actueel weer voor Nederland en Europa, actuele satellietbeelden, actuele temperaturen, neerslag, en veel meer!

Well that's the theory, TSMWK but I stand to be corrected and of course, hope I'm wrong, 

Just saw a Forecast from Chris Fawkes, there was a definite reduction in Shower activity as we go through the Afternoon.

Of course the Wintry Ppn we are seeing currently was due to the interaction between those -12c 850's and the  +8c temps over the Southern North Sea, a few hours ago. With a reduction in those 840's, you should see a resulting reduction in Shower activity, as we go through the Afternoon. There was also a bit of convergence going on, as well.

The rest of the Week for our Region now looks dry but remaining cold, with some Frost and Fog about at Night.

Then next Week, another surge of Cold air is expected from the North but that's not a great direction for Snow, for our Region.

Our best chance of seeing Snow could come from a disturbance in the flow, running down from the North, or perhaps courtesy of an area of Low Pressure attempting to move in from the S.W,, and riding up against the entrenched Cold air, with an initial period of Snow but this is usually a temporary affair, with the milder air usually winning out.

But as I'm due to start a course of Radiotherapy at Sidcup, in a ferw Weeks time and am concerned how road conditions will be like at that time, it/s S--s Law, we are in for a severe spell of Wintry Weather!!

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍

All the very best, Tom and lots of luck with your treatment

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, warm sunny days.

I'm in the gap now and the sun has been out.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snowy Weather

Right my final post before this Old F--t, has to take his obligatory Afternoon nap.

My final contribution for now, a Youtube clip of this Afternoon's Met Office Forecast, courtesy of Alex Deakin:

Regards,

Tom Q. 👍 

• Like 1