Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
23 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Can’t believe how cold it is outside it feels colder than the cold spell. 

Totally agree, out with the dog about an hour ago and it was biting cold, white frost already.

By all accounts cloud is going to build and temperature rising but this cold period has really clung on despite losing the snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Couple of lonely flakes falling now. Thought they were flies at first in the floodlight but takes the count to 6 days ❄️

• Like 1

Posted

Just warming up on the starting line for another chase.

Dec 23rd showing sleet on the beeb site, always nice to see the first hints of something colder around the corner.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Posted
5 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

Stunning sunset this afternoon - it's lasted for ages!

Beautiful Chris.

What's your thoughts over the Christmas period, the threat is there for the potential of a cold spell or two, not quite sure much will come from it but interesting just the same.

Posted
57 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Beautiful Chris.

What's your thoughts over the Christmas period, the threat is there for the potential of a cold spell or two, not quite sure much will come from it but interesting just the same.

I haven't lived up here for that long, four years in Durham and before that, three years in Guisborough. Prior to that, I lived in Norfolk. In those three places, the same has held true; when they say there's going to be a "Northerly", it's invariably a "Northwesterly", and the convection stays out there in the North Sea, leering at us, and the weather is mostly dry and frosty.

But in that time, I've not seen a decent slider low - running NW to SE down the spine of the country. The last one I can remember (doesn't mean there haven't been others since) was 1981 when I lived in South London. When I left home to drive to work one morning, it was raining - but by the time I got to work in Carshalton, it was snowing and the temperature was already below zero. By the end of the day, the snow was a good 10cm.

The climate is no longer like it was in the 1980s. SSTs are really high this year. I just don't know what's going to happen. Very likely, it will be like most years, a mixture of everything, but it seems to me there's much more scope for high dew-point cold rain/sleet events these days than there used to be, and that's a sad thing.

ETA: As an afterthought - have to say, I can't remember ever seeing the Azores high getting close to 1050. That's just nuts!

Edited by Chris Smith

Posted
9 hours ago, Chris Smith said:

I haven't lived up here for that long, four years in Durham and before that, three years in Guisborough. Prior to that, I lived in Norfolk. In those three places, the same has held true; when they say there's going to be a "Northerly", it's invariably a "Northwesterly", and the convection stays out there in the North Sea, leering at us, and the weather is mostly dry and frosty.

But in that time, I've not seen a decent slider low - running NW to SE down the spine of the country. The last one I can remember (doesn't mean there haven't been others since) was 1981 when I lived in South London. When I left home to drive to work one morning, it was raining - but by the time I got to work in Carshalton, it was snowing and the temperature was already below zero. By the end of the day, the snow was a good 10cm.

The climate is no longer like it was in the 1980s. SSTs are really high this year. I just don't know what's going to happen. Very likely, it will be like most years, a mixture of everything, but it seems to me there's much more scope for high dew-point cold rain/sleet events these days than there used to be, and that's a sad thing.

ETA: As an afterthought - have to say, I can't remember ever seeing the Azores high getting close to 1050. That's just nuts!

Oh so you have had some time in Guisborough, you know the frustrations then.

I always remember I used to live down on the coast and when I moved to Guisborough I thought that I would see much more snow ( always seemed to be the case when I lived on the coast ) but hasn't really worked out that way though 2009/10/18 were interesting at times.

I remember Feb 2018 well, starting a new job and having to drive to Durham for induction in thick snow, arrived and I was the only one there, even the local inductor hadn't made it, that was fun !!

Anyway, yes I agree, it certainly seems much different these days but let's hope we get to see a little something over the season.

Posted

All of a sudden there is interest for the Christmas period, latest indicating the very real chance of a white Christmas ( in the official sense, a snowflake ).

Early days, looking like a short spell but interest for 25/26/27th.

Posted

Yeah,very windy first thing this morning,and looks to be very windy again on Thursday with gusts between 60-70 mph.

108-289UK.thumb.GIF.7b98b763a7ed619780c67914de30fd6d.GIF

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

The last couple of days have felt so warm. If it wasn't for the early nights you would think we were in late September. This is actually extreme weather just the exact opposite of what the majority of us want in late December. 

Posted

Just our climate!

In my experience more Decembers will have had temperatures of 12-14 than haven't, certainly over my 60 yrs! Unless you have had significantly higher at your location last couple of days?

Balances out the couple of ice days we had at the beginning. That was probably more extreme as most winters I'd imagine don't have ice days.

For me, an extreme winter temp would be 16+ at this time. Or the late February '19 temp of 21 and sunny! Once in a lifetime stuff))

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, wind, storms

omg the wind is so strong, a few gusts have literally shook my windows and its forecast to get worse later??

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Events

It looks like the Nacreous clouds are back tonight and under the light of the moon they look spectacular. Sorry the photos don't do it justice but its well worth popping outside and having a look if you get chance. 

20231224_181247.jpg

IMG-20231224-WA0015.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
29 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

What could possibly go wrong 😂😂😂

image.thumb.png.a19b3ee521dab391c6fe858099b44b58.png

Shows sleet showers for me so guaranteed to be 100% correct 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
1 hour ago, Summer Sun said:

What could possibly go wrong 😂😂😂

image.thumb.png.a19b3ee521dab391c6fe858099b44b58.png

I think there is a decent possibility of snow this weekend if we can get the high even 75 miles further north. Every little helps. Then if its a freezing fog uk high it could stick around for a while. 

Posted

The mod thread is on fire, it does make me laugh sometimes.

But all the indications are there for a very interesting period incoming, I will hold my view until mid next week by which time we should all know.

If what is there now does come off then bring it on.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost

I'm pretty sure something big is on the way in terms of cold for our region and the UK in general, could someone tell me if a big freeze sometimes follows flooding events, I seem to remember past big freezes occurred after a long spell of wet and stormy weather where flooding occurred?