Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Just now, IDO said:

I have to agree with Kasim here and if we are talking about cold air, then best to post the 850s for a day-to-day comparison:

image.thumb.png.eced723cbb6f970658321d856bc7d702.pngimage.thumb.png.ce9c721618c09abf591fbf0d648b6e5d.png

Today versus yesterday, a clear delay in colder uppers aligned with a general downgrade with pre-D10 cold. You can even see the 0c therm much further east, which highlights my earlier post where the Asia/Russia trough has edged east.

The GEFS showed the same delay and increase in 850s aswell which was a result of more ensemble members trending the pattern north.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

It's good practice to compare the countdown to previous cold spells with this potential one as others have done with 2010.

For me this feels more like 2018 as that cold spell was preceeded by a lengthy UK high which then moved northwards allowing very cold easterlies to spread West.

So did it countdown straight forward from FI? Absolutely not! Despite confident MetO MRFs the models wobbled many times and it was only at +120 were we sure the cold spell was nailed, at 10 days out the models were flipping more times than a McDonald's Burger.

For now the trend for an intense Greenland High at day 10 is clear, that's as much as we can expect.

Andy

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

West based -NAO options are slowly creeping in as usual per post 2016/17 winter standards. Here in central Europe we are paying heavy price for south of Europe being too hot and it takes until spring for stable cold blocking to establish. So a winter of between 2021/22 and 2022/23 is very much unfolding with this west based -NAO gaining traction as models start to see shortwaves that will take prominence and by time sucking the NE Európe cold in to mid Atlantic. Something like late December 2021. This wet pattern since december 2022 is going on forever and 2023 was wettest year since 2010 here in Slovakia but it has to end soon where i see a cold March but mild April for a change hoping to overcome spell of cold springs since 2019. 

IMG_20240103_101957.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
11 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Remember we were due a white Christmas 2years back then this happened I wonder what effect it may have this time on the models?

Screenshot_20240103_092308_Samsung Internet.jpg

At an X 5, Sunday’s flare was much smaller than the flare recorded in 2003. It was, however, the strongest since September 2017, when an X 8.2 flare was detected, according to the SWPC. This flare also supersedes an X 2.8 solar flare reported in the same region of the sun on December 14. At the time, the SWPC reported that flare was “likely one of the largest solar radio events ever recorded.”

Edited by winterof79

Posted
1 minute ago, jules216 said:

West based -NAO options are slowly creeping in as usual per post 2016/17 winter standards. Here in central Europe we are paying heavy price for south of Europe being too hot and it takes until spring for stable cold blocking to establish. So a winter of between 2021/22 and 2022/23 is very much unfolding with this west based -NAO gaining traction as models start to see shortwaves that will take prominence and by time sucking the NE Európe cold in to mid Atlantic. Something like late December 2021. This wet pattern since december 2022 is going on forever and 2023 was wettest year since 2010 here in Slovakia but it has to end soon where i see a cold March but mild April for a change hoping to overcome spell of cold springs since 2019. 

IMG_20240103_101957.jpg

Most of those show high pressure to SE Greenland not further West.I posted them earlier to show this.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, severe frost, freezing fog and summer sunshine
11 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Remember we were due a white Christmas 2years back then this happened I wonder what effect it may have this time on the models?

Not sure solar flares have that much affect on our weather. We are protected from what is ejected from the sun by the magnetosphere. I may be wrong but that's my understanding...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For those interested, and I Inc myself here,these are the night time temps from EC det days 4 to 10 ,just to dispel any notion of downgrades ..

So here is 96 h to 240h

image.thumb.png.daafe639b14a8d32528c332e0293f053.png

image.thumb.png.2ec2f1916d1fdce049711943c449b39c.png

image.thumb.png.481afa1c26b9eec765643292c424fe90.png

image.thumb.png.f42d4c299e44785f73eda1907e24d7d6.png

image.thumb.png.0b0d7f73869c48714e07496d72715f44.png

image.thumb.png.26b8c41dd8746ef7c192a14fde545d58.png

image.thumb.png.3f8956449378868abef794badde8eeb7.png

• Like 4

Posted
17 minutes ago, Kentspur said:

Point out that 4 of the coldest winters of the 20th century happened near solar maxima including 1947.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

For those interested, and I Inc myself here,these are the night time temps from EC det days 4 to 10 ,just to dispel any notion of downgrades ..

So here is 96 h to 240h

image.thumb.png.daafe639b14a8d32528c332e0293f053.png

image.thumb.png.2ec2f1916d1fdce049711943c449b39c.png

image.thumb.png.481afa1c26b9eec765643292c424fe90.png

image.thumb.png.f42d4c299e44785f73eda1907e24d7d6.png

image.thumb.png.0b0d7f73869c48714e07496d72715f44.png

image.thumb.png.26b8c41dd8746ef7c192a14fde545d58.png

image.thumb.png.3f8956449378868abef794badde8eeb7.png

Not severely cold is it..probably averaging around 0/-1c

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

Agree. I was rather underwhelmed with those overnight lows 

• Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, winterof79 said:

Most of those show high pressure to SE Greenland not further West.I posted them earlier to show this.

Doesnt matter now. What will matter is the shortwaves which models will see later gaining influence. Only takes a small one to cut off the NE flow to merge through Európe and send cold to far north west. Been here a lot recently in winters sadly. Also MJO is out of synch phase 3 that does usually not mean European wide cold in January.

• Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

I didn't say severely cold 😁

Lots of frosts around while we wait for retrogression ,it's a good place to be ..

• Like 7

Posted

Sorry to bang on about this but how is this ,the 240z  GEFs and EPS mean Western based.

Western based NAO is west of Greenland

image.thumb.png.018bbeee87f39a34a14d8ebca088c69d.png

image.thumb.png.ac0df85ecd30abf9b2e3dea5d961cef1.png

• Like 2

Just now, jules216 said:

Doesnt matter now. What will matter is the shortwaves which models will see later gaining influence. Only takes a small one to cut off the NE flow to merge through Európe and send cold to far north west. Been here a lot recently in winters sadly. Also MJO is out of synch phase 3 that does usually not mean European wide cold in January.

I have to agree that we are now at a point where it wouldn't take much at all to shift the pattern too far NW.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

By day 3-8C combined with those night temperatures is around 2C below average.

Of course there will be regional variations ..

Temps for Buxton around 2 by day-2/3 by night next week..

• Like 1

Just now, winterof79 said:

Sorry to bang on about this but how is this ,the 240z  GEFs and EPS mean Western based.

Not the mean mate but a few individual ensembles plus the issue of a stronger ridge through SW Mediterranean which is a known deflecter of cold.

Just now, northwestsnow said:

Of course there will be regional variations ..

Temps for Buxton around 2 by day-2/3 by night next week..

That's around 2c below average here.

Posted
1 minute ago, winterof79 said:

It’s not 

but the means hides stuff and a trend has to start somewhere 

fwiw, I believe the concern on west based is post day 10 as the ridge retrogresses 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

I have to agree that we are now at a point where it wouldn't take much at all to shift the pattern too far NW.

Agree,and the mean is masking two extreme scenarios to look like blocking is in good place. There are -15 uppers and +5 uppers options here where mean will show a nice -7 value but once the shortwave does appear then its one way outcome not ensemble mean outcome.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, bluearmy said:

It’s not 

but the means hides stuff and a trend has to start somewhere 

fwiw, I believe the concern on west based is post day 10 as the ridge retrogresses 

Yes,post day 10.

Lets see how it transpires.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Not the mean mate but a few individual ensembles plus the issue of a stronger ridge through SW Mediterranean which is a known deflecter of cold.

That's around 2c below average here.

I suspect ,and I may be wrong ,there will be cloud spilling in off the North Sea at times ..

Could well be west of the country sees the colder temps,certainly at night..

• Like 2