Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm, bright summers and Cold, snowy winters

Nice push of those heights NE of Iceland, trying onto give us a more NE’ly wind direction. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
9 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Very nice 😍

Big upgrade 

IMG_2484.png

Morning Ali,

But on this chart the purples and blues have not yet made it to us so can you explain to a novis please why is this a big upgrade?  Thanks 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, weathercold said:

Goodness me - this chase is ageing me! Please be right!!

Depending on the size of your envelope it’s bang on! 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Singularity said:

A nudge toward the UKM 00z by GFS in terms of the NE Pacific. There, the UKM was good from a cold UK perspective because it prevented the linkup, meaning the HLB has nowhere to go & would remain across the Arctic Ocean & Greenland, such that we’d likely see the cold airmass reach the Channel sometime on 15th.

ECM remains more open to the idea of that Pacific linkup, alas I’d need to carry out considerable research to be able to say whether that’s likely down to erroneous bias as opposed to higher model skill versus others.

Yes it's quite a difference by just 144, would be interesting to understand the reasons behind it

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter. Anything extreme.
2 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Yes that’s true but the small improvements in the 6z have had the positive effects I hoped they would

And this is why we keep loving the chase, the ups the downs then the ups again! 😃

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

What is interesting for me is why do the heights appear to ‘deflate’ in situ in FI, without any obvious atlantic attack. That’s the only word to describe them - they just appear to fizzle. 

delete!

Edited by Drifter

Posted

Deep cold, temperatures would plummet!! Very dry though almost zero ppn for the next 2 weeks. I know it will all change again tonight, but it would be nice to see some snow falling

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!

GFS 6z is a cracker.  Not at all what we would expect to see if it was all going down the swanny.  

What will be interesting, is whether this unravels in FI, or does the fact that the cold gets properly established on this run, insulate us against a prompt return to business as usual.

Edited by Mike Poole
  • Like 7

Posted

I’m still hoping we might find some Scandy heights at some point to keep the cold going. Surprised this hasn’t popped up yet. 

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, weathercold said:

The difference around Greenland v ecm is a real eye opener, v interesting 

And the reason for not getting over analytical until it’s resolved 

this run is high slp despite the low thicknesses. So v cold and dry apart from the usual suspects prone to an onshore flow.  Not sure we could expect many surprises under a cold ridge. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

That’s going to feel a bit brisk at day nine.

IMG_2226.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

I wasn't on here in 2010 and was only looking from afar but didn't the GFS handle the Greenland blocking far better than the others? A bit like now, less wobbling about?

I know nothing has happened yet but just curious.

Lovely chart at 192 - that familiar date of the 15th lol.

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.4ded143824c7bfd41ccd0beee3ffd8f7.png

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, offerman said:

Morning Ali,

But on this chart the purples and blues have not yet made it to us so can you explain to a novis please why is this a big upgrade?  Thanks 

It was the heights in Greenland - they were much stronger vs the previous run - stoping and collapsing of the direct northerly ! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

At D10, it is a lot better than the 0z with deep cold and the main arm of the jet digging south:

gfseu-0-240-2.thumb.png.7e22d7a01ca743edc3a895cbbd57d21d.pnggfseu-1-240.thumb.png.7c958533e5a509f004585375bed6da9d.png

This is the case where we say, "Get the cold in..." and we will see how post-D10 develops with the pockets of wedges.

• Like 3

Posted

I know others have said the same thing and people say there’s no truth in it but it always seems like the early morning runs improve through out the day…may explain the constant down beat moods first thing. Surely it’s a pattern and not just perception 

Edited by WINTRY WALES
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm

The theme remains generally.  There’s no upgrade or downgrade at day 8+, just variations.  Like I said last week, we won’t resolve the detail for midmonth until into next week

BFTP

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Much better GFS06Z but I remain sceptical. Until we have the ECM on board I’d be very wary of what the GFS is showing at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, offerman said:

Morning Ali,

That's not temperature... check the 850s and you'll see how cold the air is.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter. Anything extreme.
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

The theme remains generally.  There’s no upgrade or downgrade at day 8+, just variations.  Like I said last week, we won’t resolve the detail for midmonth until into next week

BFTP

But definitely positive, showing this is far from game over.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, cold!
1 minute ago, Day 10 said:

I wasn't on here in 2010 and was only looking from afar but didn't the GFS handle the Greenland blocking far better than the others? A bit like now, less wobbling about?

I know nothing has happened yet but just curious.

Lovely chart at 192 - that familiar date of the 15th lol.

gfsnh-0-192.thumb.png.4ded143824c7bfd41ccd0beee3ffd8f7.png

As I understand it, it is the one area relevant to UK cold setups that the GFS has modelled better than the others in the past.  One possible way to read recent runs is that GFS had its wobble in that area a 24 hours in advance of that of the ECM’s wobble.  But there are many other ways to read things as well, so I’m not saying this is necessarily the case.  

• Like 4