Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Into 2024

Catacol
Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
9 minutes ago, LRD said:

The last frame on the ECM won't look like that come the time. It's just computers playing around with different scenarios in an overall cold pattern. But if it's longevity you want, then you want lows to stay well south of you

Yes, but then you potentially miss out on an epic snowfall, but from an imby  perspective I'd take missing out on it, if we got a decent  northerly instead with plenty of snow showers.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
Just now, northwestsnow said:

EC 46 all about 15th to 22nd

image.thumb.png.d13dc8012518faf0832369d77f46d6dd.png

Complete flip the following week, unfortunately

image.thumb.png.eba34f5561bc20c64d59fa1316ec7740.png

And then the pressure anomaly is high in the vicinity of the UK but not in as promising places as it had been showing

Posted
Just now, Scott Ingham said:

If we got cold weather and snow 15th to the 23rd I’d be over the moon with that especially as February looks interesting if not more interesting with angular momentum on the rise again from a much higher base state and further weakening if not ssw higher up!

Interesting times ahead, and right on the coat tails of the hottest year on record.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
27 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Yes

20240109_134255.jpg

I can see a patch of white south of that over NW Kent thankfully 😀

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
Just now, Kentspur said:

I can see a patch of white south of that over NW Kent thankfully 😀

Think you’ll find that just a smudge that hasn’t been cleaned properly.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, Bogman said:

Interesting times ahead, and right on the coat tails of the hottest year on record.

Agreed it’s been a throughly interesting winter to see unfold and perfect for any of us trying to learn. Still waiting for that first op to show signs of a height rise into scandi or Iceland but we are miles away yet still 

• Like 6

Posted
29 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Yes

20240109_134255.jpg

Also that artwork is out by about 25 miles 🙂

Yes

20240109_134255.jpg

Yes

20240109_134255.jpg

Yes

20240109_134255.jpg

• Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything unusual works for me...!
4 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

If we got cold weather and snow 15th to the 23rd I’d be over the moon with that especially as February looks interesting if not more interesting with angular momentum on the rise again from a much higher base state and further weakening if not ssw higher up!

100% agreed!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, LRD said:

Complete flip the following week, unfortunately

image.thumb.png.eba34f5561bc20c64d59fa1316ec7740.png

And then the pressure anomaly is high in the vicinity of the UK but not in as promising places as it had been showing

Yep we seem to have lost the Northern Blocking signal after the week 15th to 22nd.

This I our chance of a good cold spell 

Sun to Fri hopefully..

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 minute ago, northwestsnow said:

Yep we seem to have lost the Northern Blocking signal after the week 15th to 22nd.

Sun to Fri hopefully..

Yes we've been waiting for this since the failed Xmas spell...so nigh on a month

• Like 1

Posted

The trend to colder is clearly there in all models from early next week. What is less clear is how far north any milder incursions will push. What does seem evident to me is that uncertainty has increased a notch today regards next week and this is evident tonight in the GEFS ensembles. I think to discount the GFS isn’t sensible, the trend is for more energy to be thrown up against the cold, maybe it has overestimated this but maybe not.  I don’t think there is much clarity this evening. We just need to wait and see how this unfolds each day. It does seem as if it will be a high risk high reward scenario with some people getting very lucky and others very disappointed. The UK is in the boundary zone as usual, big differences for us living here but very small margins on a global scale.  Having lived on the south coast during my childhood, can’t tell you how many times I’ve watched rain tumbling down outside only to watch how feet of snow have fallen midlands northwards..seems like it’s that kind of scenario setting up next week.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Extended cluster 2 looks very similar to the extended METO update.. interesting times ahead. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extreme weather

Did mention this earlier today but be very wary of those ECM snowfall charts. Those totals are based on basically every flake of snow falling and settling. Basically about as much use as a chocolate tea pot. 

Posted
5 minutes ago, northwestsnow said:

Sun to Fri hopefully..

Those ec46 seem to change so often, so I wouldn't  get hung up on them showing a less favourable outcome in fi. As long as the UKMO stick to their latest  update,  I think we will have further  opportunities for snow during the month of February 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Looking more and more likely that mild weather will try  to infringe into southern parts of the uk next week, looking likely that somewhere is going to get a load ,of snow , a classic winter battleground setting up .....Enjoy the ride.😨

Edited by ANYWEATHER
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything exciting.

It could still flip back as quick as that .

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
15 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

If I get snow and cold from 15th to the 23rd and couple that with the 5 days of snow on the ground I had early December then I will count this winter as a triumph. Regardless of what happens in February. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1