Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

Talk about fail, 

IMG_7154.thumb.jpeg.085c27b157f5d532e4d319e8b2a8f8de.jpeg

Since I posted this I’ve sat under mostly cloudy skies 13-14C and we’ve now developed a sea breeze. Not going to get anywhere near 20C even if the cloud clears. Stupid climate. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Alderc 2.0 extremely unlucky!

IMG_2458.thumb.png.796c28ff090e4cead219f8e2291fedaf.png

Posted

Everything is so much better in the sun…

IMG_2460.thumb.jpeg.04a84fcf085b5650d18f92952e791fde.jpegIMG_2461.thumb.jpeg.2e2649550dee834ee95b5d399aa8b9e2.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
Posted (edited)

Popping today in city.

Obligatory lunch pils. Enjoy! 

IMG-20240508-WA0004.jpeg

PXL_20240508_112808283.jpg

PXL_20240508_114006413.jpg

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Summer8906 The observatory must be either right at the coast where the sea breeze blows in its face or higher upland out of town, because in 2022 the airport recorded 35°C:

image.thumb.png.4a9159d4af0eaadd26355700aa95605e.png

In 2023/24 they exceeded 40°C multiple times. Australia's weather is much more ENSO dependent than ours and La Nina years are notorious for being cooler in the east and warmer in the west, while El Nino years are hot almost everywhere and wet in the tropical north.

It has to be understood that the Australian climate is fundamentally different to ours. Unlike Europe they rarely get prolonged warm/hot spells, with only a handful of examples of such ever happening, especially more towards the SE and away from the desert. Instead they more have one or two very hot days at a time before returning to average/below average conditions. While somewhere like Sydney is generally warmer than London, the "laid back mediterranean skies surfing lifestyle" thing is definitely marketing to some extent. It's more muggy and a lot more stormy than many here would think, and especially towards the SE coast facing Tasmania the average daytime temps start to fall closer to the maritime levels you'd expect in Europe.

The winters there are also absolutely miserable imo, outside of the desert and tropical north it definitely isn't warm all year, the winters in most places are generally muggy and annoyingly mild, especially in somewhere like Melbourne. There the winter months are about as sunny as an average March here.

In Sydney the sunshine hours over winter are higher but the temps aren't much higher than in Melbourne. Even in Perth the winter temps are about the same.

Anyone who considers moving to Australia for the climate must be prepared for at least three months worth of average UK April conditions a year and for summer to be very muggy with frequent overcast, stormy interludes (where most of the yearly rainfall comes from in fact) and rapid swings in temperature, unless you're going to Perth, in which case prepare for summer to be extremely hot, probably far hotter than you're prepared for, for barely any better conditions in winter than further east.

• Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Posted (edited)

In Absence of True Seasons Sydney is quite a rainy climate, certainly wetter and with more frequent rainfall than London (also the case with Melbourne, though Melbourne is much drier than Sydney).

Somehow the Sydney tourist board have convinced the world that the place is scorching with unbroken sunshine all year, when the reality is a January average max of 26c and frequent rainfall.

Brisbane is much more of a stereotypical Australian climate, yet even there, summer rainfall was more frequent than here during the 3 years I lived there. The winters are warm, dry and sunny, with chilly nights.

Edited by B87
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn
Posted (edited)

B87 Indeed, overall its sunshine hours in the summer are barely higher than in London, and its winter sunshine is only as high as it is due to the much higher Sun over their winter than here; hour-for-hour I'd be willing to bet winters are cloudier there than in southern England.

Humid subtropical climates are nowhere near what those who like Mediterranean climates want, I can only imagine the number of immigrants to Australia who ended up disappointed with the weather in the end. Really the only inhabited place with that climate in Australia is Perth, and summer there is absolutely stupid hot, hotter than what any Brit or Canadian etc. is prepared for. Winter there is also miserable, as miserable as 2023/24 was for us. Mediterranean winters, especially Csb but a lot of Csa as well, are among the most miserable in the world imo. Just a constant October/November for 4-5 months.

Edited by CryoraptorA303
  • Like 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons we probably have 🤣

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

B87 yeah my uncle has lived in Australia since he was 17. He's now 82 and he says the same thing to people that have never been that it's not as dry as they think it is especially on the coast compared to the desert interior. He lives about an hour's drive north of Sydney. 

Posted

Somehow today is managing to be worse than yesterday! And thought it was meant to get better. Cloudy by lunchtime ... Think I'm giving up hope of this being a nice full day of sun event. It just can't manage it here. Rubbish!

• Like 1

Posted

Mentioned last Friday that the Met app had me down for a week of cloud... well it wasn't wrong! On the plus side, its warming up and the app has been consistent with the cloud clearing Friday afternoon to leave a sunny cloudless day on Saturday. I'm in work, so not moaning, just pointing out that the app has been very accurate so far. On another point, I see the UKMO and GFS both going for a limpet low again next week! (That part is a moan!)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Somehow today is managing to be worse than yesterday! And thought it was meant to get better. Cloudy by lunchtime ... Think I'm giving up hope of this being a nice full day of sun event. It just can't manage it here. Rubbish!

Can’t be much cloud surely, looking at the satellite images:

IMG_2462.thumb.png.27b898788d37efe233bf2c926abc61c9.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

*Stormforce~beka* Come to London, people are literally sunbathing in the park near my office! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

Was sunny earlier. Now cloudy. And a few spots of rain from this. 

20240508_130810.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

In Absence of True Seasons  danm Very nice scenes, no wonder blue is most people’s favourite colour in the UK, you hardly ever see it! Enjoy the lovely weather 🍻 Here in Czechia it rained all day yesterday (which was needed, to be fair) and today is quite cloudy but not unpleasantly so

• Like 2

Posted

stainesbloke  stainesbloke Indeed. A rare period where the UK (or at least parts of it) are outclassing large parts of central/mainland in Europe in terms of sunshine and warmth. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons I am sick of it! Every ... bloody ... day ... Cloud!!! We can't even do one day with full sun. It's making me feel so angry. I know its only teh weather blahdy blah but feick me! I give. I'm not getting excited about another "high" ever again. I'm doomed for life. I can't believe I still have SAD.

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* is the cloud really that bad??? We'll often get a little bit of afternoon cloud bubbling up, even in mid Summer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and thunderstorms. Pleasantly warm summers but no heat.

stainesbloke yes I bet the amount of cloud we get accounts for it because sky blue was my mum's favourite colour too. She always said she preferred the man city colours over the man u ones.

• Like 1

Posted

danm Hazy at best. No blue sky. I just don't want it! I want pure blue sky! And no cloud at all!

IMG_20240508_141438770.jpg

• Like 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* looking at the satellite I really think you're probably overreacting. A bit of hazy sunshine really shouldn't warrant that amount of despondency. 

Here is the satellite image, Winchester looks pretty clear, some high level wispy haze:

Screenshot2024-05-08at14_14_04.thumb.png.9ed50d59b65ccf55d8bcb52bc77bb928.png

Posted

danm I just want a nice deep blue and a clear sky. That's all. But clearly too much to ask

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* fair enough. I honestly though would just get out and enjoy the warmth and sunshine  you have rather than despairing over a few fluffy clouds. 

• Like 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* It's not 'only the weather' though, because it's much more than mere stats and figures from a perspective of lived reality. After a long, dull and wet winter and early-mid Spring, warm and sunny weather objectively improves the moods and minds of the vast majority. Especially if one has S.A.D, it's mentally nigh-impossible to simply dismiss constantly dull conditions with a "it's just the weather!" throw-away.

Yeah it doesn't look awful where you are but its certainly not clear...and a lack of basically any clear/fully sunny days since the cold spell in Jan for you, is woeful. No sugar-coating it.

Well, I'm happy to arrange a NetWeather pub meet in sunny London for you and others stuck in Clagshire / Cloudsex / Greyfolk / Dullset 😄 (I'm not a serial killer, promise).

• Thanks 1