Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
1 minute ago, Drifter said:

On the contrary GEFS has increased the chances of this moving north. 

Exactly, might just reach us

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot n cold

You watch it'll be up to Brum by the 18z

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I for one hope the low goes a bit further north!!anyone who wants it further north gota hope that low near iceland at 72 hours deepens further i think!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, Sweatyman said:

You watch it'll be up to Brum by the 18z

That’s certainly not out of the question! North wales/ north/ mid midlands extension…

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
8 minutes ago, IDO said:

D11 GFS:

image.thumb.png.7bb80d2159defb8c6f33711f5c30ce1e.png

Yuk!!!

It's model related so you have a right to post it but that's 11 days away and will not verify. For the UK the upcoming spell is decent. Yes its not the 2010 nirvana everyone wants but it was never going to be. We get 5/6 days of cold weather and surprises can crop up. Lots of knee jerk posting on this forum today and absolutely no positivity. Am I also the only member who hates the term " tick tock, tick tock" that will inevitably get trundled out as the days go by. Lol rant over. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Interestingly, the mean at 162 is actually slightly colder than the 6z

image.thumb.png.64a368f9eb5deb4c7fad84172989a741.png image.thumb.png.393497a7971c68e46d97e9cd6484f49f.png

Edit - @northwestsnowbeat me to it.... again!

Edited by Ice Day
  • Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, Rob 79812010 said:

I'm still a bit of a novice but what am I missing here. The gfs chart looks amazing to me. Is it the lack of snow??

Yes

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, frost and snow

This has been such a long chase and it’s definitely going to turn much, much colder next week. Hopefully we all see some unexpected surprises pop up when it comes to snow.

But what was potentially on the table that we thought we were chasing a week or two ago, you can’t help but be a little deflated with how next week may actually play out.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Not if you are expecting Northern Blocking Nirvana…we expect a relaxation/Atlantic influence ….look at the LP south of Greenland ALREADY disrupting…..very interesting 

BFTP

What about the low north of us sweeping the cold away. 

Screenshot_20240112_165953_Chrome.jpg

ukmo-1-168.png

• Like 1

Posted

GFS wants to bring us racing through the alphabet with storms between 22-26th Jan. Snow chances looking restricted to Mon-Thu for some next week Northern Scotland looking most favoured.

• Like 3

So one thing I have learnt from reading in here and very rarely ever posting, is how fast stuff can turn around, and fly in the face of all predictions, likelihoods and background signals. For example, only the day before these mammoth northerly and Greenland blocking suddenly appeared, a lot of posts were saying the best change won't come before last week if Jan or Feb and wait it out a few weeks, then suddenly it all went crazy exciting. So even if this attempt is ultimately watered down or a slight disappointment, it was great observing, bit of a snow here and there and it can easily suddenly materialise again in a week or two again out of nowhere. It's why we love British weather.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything apart from grey and mild!
11 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

It's model related so you have a right to post it but that's 11 days away and will not verify. For the UK the upcoming spell is decent. Yes its not the 2010 nirvana everyone wants but it was never going to be. We get 5/6 days of cold weather and surprises can crop up. Lots of knee jerk posting on this forum today and absolutely no positivity. Am I also the only member who hates the term " tick tock, tick tock" that will inevitably get trundled out as the days go by. Lol rant over. 

Yeah my feelings too. We have a spell of decent cold coming up and with the  chopping and changing of model output what's not to say there will be some interesting twists and turns of the snowy variety along the way? In any case winter isn't done by a long way with Feb and March all to play for!

• Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, goosey007 said:

Extremely confusing on here at the moment …. Talk of a breakdown 7/8 days away is nuts 🥜 the cold not even got here yet 🙈

To be fair I don't understand this either, it's been cold since Friday last week, snowed Monday and frosts several nights.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Not sure if it's been posted already but the latest scenarios graphic re frontal snow potential mid next week from the Met. Southern England and I would even say some of central areas are still in with a chance. However I am still expecting a southward adjustment in the coming days but may not be too much. Time will tell.

b4nrYyQT.jpg

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3