Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
Just now, Lukesluckybunch said:

Gfs brings the low back for Wednesday with the snow risk..

Why is the low tracking in a way where it misses Pembrokeshire but reaches norwich.and Pembrokeshire is much further south

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Ali1977 said:

The GFS MEAN has snow to the midlands on Wed, this is mental. I think more moves north are on the cards now 

IMG_2728.png

A few examples, and there are plenty more 

IMG_2730.png

IMG_2731.png

The gefs mean also reveals that bringing the precip further north also brings less cold air with the mean precip not all shown as snow

Flicking through timeframes on the gefs members (the most excited about precip getting into s england ) reveals a hochpotch of solutions with plenty of rain involved.  So even getting the moisture in doesn’t guarantee anything. 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
34 minutes ago, SLEETY said:

You worry for the rest of the season though if the cold can just get pushed away so quickly. I thought cold was was hard to push away because it's dense etc and from what I have read, 😑

Amazing to think even here on the coast we actually  have had 3 days of lying snow even on beach from the heavy snow showers from last Monday, stayed on the ground till Thursday 

This low has all the hallmarks of 2023 in March where the South Coast got a little bit of snow  but channel Isles got hammered. 

Need a big northwards movement in next 24 hours  it's rare the models are wrong with the tracks of low pressure systems 48 hours away anymore! 

You did well on Monday, saw the pix of worthing, under a streamer.Had nothing that stuck here East of you in Brighton.

I don't think you should be concerned about the rest of Winter based on next weekends cold removal.

I here what you say about the cold removal supposedly being hard to shift, that certainly has been the case from my recollection when you have had a proper battle between strong blocks to our North East and the return of unsettled Atlantic conditions.

Models often underestimate the strength of the block and the dense cold in place, so you have a two fold situation in our favour for mainataing a cold spell in the face of over progressive removal.

I can recall progged breakdowns not only being delayed for days but changed altogether in the past.

Your final point on wanting further Northward adjustments to Wednesdays system, I assume you will reside in Worthing and are not massively altruistic 🤣?

Much further North than the GFS 00z suggests and it will be a South Coast rain fest.

• Like 2

Posted
44 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

They're out to 312 already

image.thumb.png.033a4b9489078d4d8e76122bd1d4be8e.png

The pain of so many winters,the Iberian high🤢

Edited by joggs
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave
29 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

IMG_2741.png

IMG_2742.png

Can you add comment ?

Is the 2nd chart more recent ?

Time stamps looked blurred 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
47 minutes ago, Paul said:

If you're looking for a realistic answer, the only one as far as I'm concerned is that a gfs chart at 384 hours isn't a useful guide for that time . So, therefore attempting to extrapolate that to make a forecast for another month is impossible/pointless.

Completely agree with that post.

GFS or any charts that Far out are going to be so difficult and near on impossible to create a forecast from that. It’s difficult at the best of times, even 10 days out let alone that far.

6 minutes ago, joggs said:

The pain of so many winters,the Iberian high🤢

Quite right, which unfortunately has become larger, stronger, more dominant and stagnant combine that with the shift north of the subtropical belt as well. ( someone posted the link not long ago to back this up about the shift Northwards) 

• Like 2

Posted

Models normally have the low too far north at this stage and eventual outcome it goes south, maybe they have it too far South and it goes north instead!! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Dry mild or snow winter. Hot and humid summer.
6 minutes ago, stewfox said:

Can you add comment ?

Is the 2nd chart more recent ?

Time stamps looked blurred 

Most recent op and mean. 👍

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, That ECM said:

Most recent op and mean. 👍

No…both are 00z Mean, both 6hr accum precipitation, one for 1pm, one for 7pm.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Harveyslugger said:

Met office have now added the Pembrokeshire dangler tonight 😆❄️

Screenshot_20240114-094033.png

Seen here on the GFS 

IMG_2743.png

Early days but T60 the GFS has the precip a tiny bit further north!! New run bottom image 

IMG_2744.png

IMG_2745.png

• Like 1

Posted

image.thumb.png.7ca398172504db2520d2a6eb2aa80653.png
Well I think that’s it 👎🏼 With the ECM and UKMO not showing it , it was always v unlikely!! 
Fir those in the SE though, you could have a good snow event 👌⛄

Edited by Ali1977
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Deep Deep Snow causing chaos

image.thumb.png.0f6d65e87c3132166eff0e3a91aac6fd.png

Barely touches the UK, need it 100 miles further North, that isn't happening IMO 

Unless it pivot's 

Edited by MJB
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
3 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Well I think that’s it 👎🏼 With the ECM and UKMO not showing it , it was always v unlikely!! 

If there’s no change on today’s 12z it’s a no - goer!!. Kent  and the south coast still in with a pretty big shout.

Edited by tight isobar
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yeah looking like going to the South now. Around a 15/20% chance of a more northerly track. 

Even the risk of snow showers into the Cheshire gap has reduced somewhat.

The fact is over 90% of the UK population will remain snow free from this toppler.

The risk of troughs forming in the flow is very low because it gets shunted out by Atlantic air very quickly.

Enjoy everyone 🙂 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: blizzard conditions. ice days
1 minute ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yeah looking like going to the South now. Around a 15/20% chance of a more northerly track. 

Even the risk of snow showers into the Cheshire gap has reduced somewhat.

The fact is over 90% of the UK population will remain snow free from this cold snap. 

The risk of troughs forming in the flow is very low because it gets shunted out by Atlantic air very quickly.

Enjoy everyone 🙂 

Indeed snow chances evaporating every run 🏃‍♂️ now !!!@countrywide.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
2 hours ago, offerman said:

Hi Malarkey, unfortunately they don’t at the moment. this is something I mentioned recently about due to the change in the weather we can’t rely on algorithms from whether patterns from the past as much because the weather now seems to behave in a different way and pressure. Pens have changed a lot with more stubborn high-pressure systems to our south and Southwest, and sometimes stubborn, low pressure systems, even as well, I’ve noticed but much has been controlled by high-pressure the Azores, high Iberian, high Bartlett high, and Euro slug
there was a fantastic poster recently called midnight, ice age. 

He has a vast amount of experience with working in the industry, and he said the problem is that the software needs updating. Here was his post..

“You can have all the modern technology you want, you are trying to predict the future, that's simply impossible on a scale you're asking for  

I am afraid that we are now getting to the point that it is now the errors and assumptions in the software are causing the greater errors.

Until you get those sorted out you will just magnify the errors, and end up with even more chaos.

Spoken after 40 years in the software industry.

MIA

Can I make this clear.. this is not quite the intended gist of my post.

They do not automatically increase just 'errors'. They increase the total amount of data (Including errors), this has the result that it increases the volatility of the output data (a larger envelope if you like). The overall effect will be more of a more chaotic output.

We are already seeing this with the models overreacting to some sorts of signals, particularly in a 'stuck' pattern where a small difference here and there can produce a totally opposite outcome.  We also see overblown lows very frequently.......   My gut  'feeling' is that this will happen more frequently if we just add in more computing power.

We will at the moment benefit more by sorting out the software glitches, than by spending many millions on hardware. Its the balance really which is important moving forward.

Midlands Ice Age   ( i don't only post at midnight?)

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,snow and more snow
10 minutes ago, Ali1977 said:

Fir those in the SE though, you could have a good snow event 👌⛄

If the GFS has nailed this I will put it to the top of my winter forecast charts going forward 😂🥂

• Like 6