Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Colder but how cold and for how long?

Message added by Paul,

This thread is for model related chat and discussion only.
Please head over to the Winter chat thread if your post isn't about the models. If you'd like localised weather chat, make sure you've joined your regional group. Or if you just want to moan about the weather or models, or would like to ramp up whatever may be on the way - there is now a dedicated ramp and moans thread.

Please use the insightful reaction on posts you think should be copied to the model highlights thread.

As ever, please keep to the community guidelines, the guiding principles of which are:
Be kind -- Stay on topic -- Share your knowledge -- Be polite -- Be honest -- Be tolerant -- Be family-friendly

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
9 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Jeeez this would be very destructive 80-90+ mph gusts inland, surely historic if it does verify and keep track and intensity 

CF595215-1460-4DC8-A444-94131DC49E4F.png

Nope, January 2nd 1976.....

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Man that front is close to the south coast, or even on the south coast on Wednesday on the 12z runs.

Honestly its well within the margin of error still. I recall a similar rain event which progged to only brush the south coast but ended up producing a pretty signifncant rain event back in December. 

Thats not to say I think its the likely outcome, I think its not. But its still close enough call that it will need very close watching right through to Wednesday, we are talking literally 10-20 miles making the difference between basically nothing and 3-5cms into southern coastal counties. 

I agree with this, 50 miles is not far in NWP, would make a massive difference to us. I've seen rain extend quite a bit further north than forecast in this type of set-up before.

That said, there is pretty good consensus between the models for it to stay at coast or south.

• Like 2

Posted
10 minutes ago, TwisterGirl81 said:

Jeeez this would be very destructive 80-90+ mph gusts inland, surely historic if it does verify and keep track and intensity 

CF595215-1460-4DC8-A444-94131DC49E4F.png

It'll probably end up over the Pyrenees by the weekend...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
9 minutes ago, pinball wizard said:

It'll probably end up over the Pyrenees by the weekend...

Nope......😑

• Like 1

Posted

On the end of the gfs run we are still being plagued by euro heights, but pressure is increasing to the north east, while starting to weaken to our south.

Will be keeping an eye on the ecm eps over the coming runs to see if this solution can gain any traction.

animqte7.gif

• Like 6
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,
4 minutes ago, Mcconnor8 said:

image.thumb.png.3f1e544f6e0cb18da644a7a80d0eb763.pngimage.thumb.png.a5ec0ae6a64fbc74c8ef6076b0752ff3.pngimage.thumb.png.00a9e6534553feb18ff75a9b5577074d.png

Are perturbations 6, 11 or 27 really too much to ask for? 🙏

Not sure what you are looking at buddy, the UK looks mostly dry on those three ens members?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
1 hour ago, kold weather said:

Man that front is close to the south coast, or even on the south coast on Wednesday on the 12z runs.

Honestly its well within the margin of error still. I recall a similar rain event which progged to only brush the south coast but ended up producing a pretty signifncant rain event back in December. 

Thats not to say I think its the likely outcome, I think its not. But its still close enough call that it will need very close watching right through to Wednesday, we are talking literally 10-20 miles making the difference between basically nothing and 3-5cms into southern coastal counties. 

I remember that one, forecast at T+06z: dry; actual: hours of heavy rain.

There has been more than one instance where rain was not supposed to reach my location in the most recent forecast, but ended up as far north as Manchester. There was one where an upper front popped up at T+0. Not sure why models couldn't detect it before then? I recall another band of rain that was supposed to skim South Wales and instead covered the entirety of Wales in heavy rain, all change at T+0. I am sure these examples only stick in the mind, because they are so unbelievably wrong at such short range and when there is zero or negligible departure short range it is 'no news', so that probably remains the majority. However, suffice to say that there is sufficient evidence to merit a 'watching brief' up to T+0.

Edited by The Enforcer
  • Like 8

Posted
1 hour ago, EML Network said:

Why isn't anyone talking about this >> ??

image.thumb.png.1b0fa902d2f21301dd5d958d558fe908.png
image.thumb.png.d56ce65068f142379c4c509a6fa62ac5.png
image.thumb.png.a161e33535f8a996709372b9d0c25e60.png
image.thumb.png.57808563099aab9f1505ffb7c54c88ca.png

If it comes to pass as modelled, this country will be on it's knee's !

Sods law, when you want a low to track further south into France, it'll stay put! Shows 90 + for my location 😠

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
5 minutes ago, KTtom said:

Sods law, when you want a low to track further south into France, it'll stay put! Shows 90 + for my location 😠

I think we started like this in October before the Storm corrected South on future runs and effected Channel Isles and Northern France.

Depends on any belt of high pressure over the continent as to Sothward shifts.

GEM and ECM not interested so still an outlier solution anyway.

• Like 2

Posted

The graph ensembles for the 12z GEFS don't paint a pretty picture, however the postage stamps are starting to show the next blocking ideas 👍GFSPANELEU12_306_1.thumb.png.df9ab1f5cbc0e435fdfec888b6af207b.png

• Like 5

Posted
31 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Look at his location and look where the snow is, pretty obvious my friend 

I know mate, it was tongue in cheek #regional discussion buddy 👍

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, kold weather said:

I think the other thing that warrants it is there are ensemble members and the occasional operational model still making it into at least parts of the south. Interestingly the ARPEGE ensembles have swung northwards considerably in its most recent run.

Its a classic low chance but high impact scenario, and I'm willing to bet the met office already have a yellow/amber warning ready made should things seem to be north of where currently expectations are.

Lets just say I wouldn't be surprised if there is a small line of 5-10cms on the ground by the end of Wednesday. I also wouldn't be surprised if the front never leaves the French coastline. Both and everything inbetween is still on the table.

ECM keeps it away from the south coast on 12z (except Cornwall) on this one. 

But watching brief until it happens as you and saintkip say........

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: WHITE GOLD
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Look at that date mate 😂😂😂 29th for the change! Surely not 2 in a row! Fits in perfectly with retrogression into the back end of the first week of Feb! 

Yeah, I agree, there’s nothing happening till the end of the month earliest(cold persuasion)

Edited by Fozfoster
  • Like 4

Posted
18 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm just starting to see some signs of life in the extended,

Would be nice to accelerate towards that solution, ecm does get to phase 7 faster.... So extended EPS may offer some further hope tonight.

Control, attached, alongside a couple of the best gefs members, also attached is the mean anamoly.

Let the next chase commence!

gensnh-26-1-336.png

gensnh-18-1-336.png

gensnh-0-1-336 (1).png

gensnh-31-5-336.png

Yes, agree the signs building for the scandi ish high pressure in 2 weeks time. A trend to watch in the Gefs 👍

• Like 5

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Look at that date mate 😂😂😂 29th for the change! Surely not 2 in a row! Fits in perfectly with retrogression into the back end of the first week of Feb! 

I'm interested to see how the retrogression is going to try to shift the tpv away from Greenland as it looks like a beast ATM,

Perhaps some assistance via Atlantic wave breaks?

I'm flying out of the country late on the 28th so the 29th fits well for the next spell of cold weather 😁

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Fozfoster said:

Yeah, I agree, there’s nothing happening till the end of the month earliest(cold persuasion)

Yeah 100% this is sign posted by events in the Strat, a move into MJO phases supportive of mild Atlantic weather and ensembles rock solid from the 20th. It’s the following week that will be fun to watch as we see a much better Strat profile, an impending +EAMT event and the tropics quickly moving thunder storm activity into the west pacific. Do we go North East the retrogress or straight North West to Greenland. For me it’s North East then retrogression. Time for chase number 3 this year!

2 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

I'm interested to see how the retrogression is going to try to shift the tpv away from Greenland as it looks like a beast ATM,

Perhaps some assistance via Atlantic wave breaks?

I'm flying out of the country late on the 28th so the 29th fits well for the next spell of cold weather 😁

A better start profile and movement into phase 7/8 of the MJO will take care of that quicker than you’d expect looking at the models (even though as you say it looks like a beast over Greenland)

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1