Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
1 hour ago, Mair Snaw said:

Blizzard conditions here now.. probably heaviest snaw of the spell so far...wow..

I love you!  I get so annoyed when folk talk of “blizzard like conditions” rather than not including the “like”.

If conditions are “blizzard like” then it’s a  blizzard!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

Very heavy snaw on again here.. there is a gap on the radar but looks to be some extremely showers out to the North West... will they be the ones that prompt an Amber warning later??

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny in summer, cold in winter.
1 hour ago, mistyqueen said:

20240116_111733.thumb.jpg.ca883dacf569fe6e828806bdc817ef8d.jpgHopefully the pics are ok .... 

20240116_111715.jpg

Lovely view

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
3 minutes ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Well this disnae look mild. Uppers struggling tae get out of the -5 to 0 C range, with increasing signs of return tae proper cauld just a week after this spell ends.

image.thumb.png.b1a0a56218776c9dc5c23299a17a4759.png

Thats a week to get out and get stocked up again ready for the next load...😂😂👍👍🍺🍺

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!
25 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

When you travelling? Worst bit today seems to have been South of Aberdeen as that's where most of the snow ended up falling. Mains roads are probaby fine when it's not actively snowing, I got from Alford to Westhill and back today no problem, just slower than normal, wife did the same to Keith and back. Off the main roads it's very variable, some are still quite snowy. 

Fubar news on Facebook is good for conditions on the NE roads. I checked and there's no mention of problems towards Banff, but some snowy pictures of the A96 near Huntly. It can all change rather quickly though, for the better or for the worse. 

Tomorrow morning. Had a job in Inverbervie this evening  and called it off, looks like it was the right decision! Montrose /Arbroath looks like they've had a decent whumping..

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Good to see postings of temps tonight and early hours and how quickly the cold air is descending behind the cold front.. the min temp thread the place to post..

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
8 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Good to see postings of temps tonight and early hours and how quickly the cold air is descending behind the cold front.. the min temp thread the place to post..

Max of 0.5C during the first band of thin snow late morning into early afternoon, then dropped during the third (and last) band which was almost moderate, to -1.5C and now dropped to -2.5C. Feels like a cold one coming.

• Like 8
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Temp only sitting at 0c but it's an ice rink out there. The 10mins of sleety pish earlier is frozen solid! Was going to head up the Pentlands on my bike but way too slippy! 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer
1 hour ago, Sanserit said:

Slug was actually the best option. AWPR was nightmarish according to colleagues on their way south from a meeting at Thainstone. Just drove sensibly and made it home in around 45 minutes, would probably have taken twice as long going the other way.

AC915B79-5F1E-4DEE-8DEF-2A3AFA948F03.thumb.jpeg.38939ead101cf4b5a177f6beb0768ac8.jpeg IMG_1770.thumb.jpeg.4a4b09c7c1160be9bb24b168ec45f839.jpeg IMG_1769.thumb.jpeg.fc8e3fe7b89920bda87f6fe398613bff.jpeg

Think we had around 3 inches this afternoon without actually measuring it. Quite a difference from the 1st photo taken at 2.55 to the 2nd taken at 4.35 as I was leaving.

Glad to hear the slug was ok - my younger son delivers for a supermarket and he was heading to Stonehaven over the slug half an hour ago. He called after he’d just been stuck in his van at a farm delivery near Aboyne - had to get rescued by the companies roadside assistance. He’s growing up a lot driving and delivering in these conditions lol 

• Like 7
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Looks like we have been unlucky with the  showers this evening with most moving south of us.   Both Met office and Beeb mentioning the possibility of heavy snow on Friday before milder conditions move in.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
1 hour ago, tiff said:

Tomorrow morning. Had a job in Inverbervie this evening  and called it off, looks like it was the right decision! Montrose /Arbroath looks like they've had a decent whumping..

I'd think you'd be fine if sticking to the main roads, just check the radar first, but I don't think there's anything heavy forecast for tomorrow. 

Unofficially an ice day here with the nearest weather station maxing out at -0.1C. Overnight low was -3.7C, currently -2.6c and on a slow downward trajectory. Wife beat me home from work and had cleared the driveway, but looks like maybe a cm of snow at the house today. Westhill I'd say got more than that this afternoon, as it caught a heavier bit of the precipitation from 2:30pm until at least when I escaped an hour later. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather
1 minute ago, Halfamilefromnowhere said:

Breck is the mad hound 4 and half as daft as a brush, loves the snow.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Further 4cms today temps down to -6.7C but creeping up a bit now as more snow showers head in. Reckon around 16cm maybe tad more.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

-4.5C now. Remarkable how uninteresting the place looks with 1cm of snow on the ground but bugger all elsewhere.

• Like 4
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Can exclusively reveal today's snow total here as 2 flakes and miserable rain.  Now clear, frosty, and snow free.  Bugger.

• Like 9