Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
2 hours ago, Hawesy said:

Looking forward to the westerlies at the weekend, we need to dry out!

This ☝️.

Never seen the garden so soaked as it is now, lawn literally a sponge with pools of water lapping around your feet when you walk on it.

We've been lucky in that the pulses of heavy rain in the last few days have been separated by drier periods (though still with plenty of persistent drizzle) which have allowed the burns to stay just within their banks.

Not particularly warm the last couple of days, overnight low of 2c with rain off and on all night.  Showery outbreaks today so far with 100% Grade A+ Permagloom™, currently 5c with a steady easterly breeze.

Nature already deciding that spring is coming, noticed fresh buds on the Clematis and Narcissi well though the surface...

image.thumb.png.6f4276fa76f71703d7e7cb203d5f707a.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Just back from first Christmas lunch of the season. 3  courses so feet up for the rest of the afternoon. May as well as it is wet and windy and feeling much cooler than the 6.9C on my w/s.

• Like 6
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
2 hours ago, Big Gally said:

Met office now going for a cold shot next week. Especially in the north. 

Seems to be a bit of a bandwagon... watch it go tits up!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and Thunderstorms

We need to get a ferry home to the parents on Xmas eve…getting a little concerned at these windy charts 👀😅 

• Like 6

Posted
3 hours ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

It's all connecting really neatly from my POV which aligns to the current MJO cycling particularly phases 3 through 5/6

I mentioned the phase 3 setup would come into reality from mid December 

This coinciding with feedback of a positive North Atlantic Oscillation which I mentioned here 😀 😄 😉 

nao-gefs-sprd2-1.png

Into December week 4 it's clear to see the feedback of phases 3 and 4 which drive surface temperature patterns across most of the Northern Hemisphere into above average scenario though most significant will be where the main blocks reside particularly Canada and the Maritimes then adjacent with a secondary high toward Russia. The below average surface temperature areas will be California and Mexico, Greenland, parts of Asia and across Alaska, maybe Florida 

Screenshot-20231212-013424-Chrome.jpgScreenshot-20231212-013509-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20231212-013519-Chrome.jpgcfs-avg-T2ma-Mean-nhem-2.png

cfs-avg-T2ma-Mean-nhem-3.png

gem-ens-T2ma-nhem-65-2.pnggem-ens-T2ma-nhem-63-1.png

As the phase 5 feedback comes through by Dec week 4 paired with the positive NAO and energies from the tropospheric vortex we'll need to be VERY mindful of storm developments / deep cyclones 🌀 

Use these as a general idea

gens-6-1-264.pnggens-1-1-252.png

gens-3-1-288.pnganimjxi5.gif

animfke7.gif

gens-1-1-264.pnggens-16-1-264.png

Not surprising too watching as some strat warming is appearing also into Dec week 4 which was a timeframe ive had in my mind since Nov week 4

Screenshot-20231211-212344-Chrome.jpg20231211-211630.jpg

gfs-ens-Tz10-nhem-fh276-384.gif

Good post as usual a cold possibly snowy cyclonic end to 2023 then... 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Another grim raw wet day, hefty showers clearing away soon after dark (320pm!) then clean starry night with widespread frost setting in , will be icy in the morning I think.

• Like 4

Posted

A chilly 3.8c outside with calm conditions and fog/mist coating the tops of the surrounding hills - meanwhile look straight up and you see chinks of blue sky so perhaps the reappearance of the sun later.

Shower of rain at dawn and rain radar shows showers not too far away so the soggy theme continues.

Impressive number of geese flying overhead northwards this morning, wave after wave of them so must be thousands in total - I would presume coming up from Montrose which is pretty much due south of here.

• Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Thought we were heading for a frost with the clear sky sunset but wind from a southerly direction has been increasing all evening. Much needed to dry surface and refresh the stale air in steading for cattle especially calves. will help straw situation too as have been piling it  in trying to keep them dry

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Here mostly cloudy but winds still light and temps of 2.3C from a max of 5C. One or two brief showers came in earlier off the North Sea. 

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Touch of frost here early yesterday evening but it was gone by 10pm as the cloud came over. Patchy cloud this morning with light showers nearby.

• Like 5
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snaw

Am so gonnae jinx this.

NEWS.STV.TV

Temperatures this weekend are set to be extremely mild - but we shouldn't rule out the chance of snow just yet.

No lookin sae mild by the 20th.

image.thumb.png.ce5435c045803524352245e3886cb068.png

Edited by Scottish-Irish Skier
  • Like 3

Posted
17 minutes ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Am so gonnae jinx this.

NEWS.STV.TV

Temperatures this weekend are set to be extremely mild - but we shouldn't rule out the chance of snow just yet.

No lookin sae mild by the 20th.

image.thumb.png.ce5435c045803524352245e3886cb068.png

Napoleon Dynamite Reaction GIF

• Like 2