Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted

Miserable day here after a  fine drying weekend. Started off  foggy then became misty with outbreaks of heavy drizzle very wetting stuff. Temperature fell from  11c in the morning to a current 8c as sky cleared in the late afternoon..  A fresh westerly breeze most of the day. Notice current  front on radar in the NW of Scotland is almost 50% hail presumably a squall line

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
2 hours ago, jellybaby1969 said:

Well still no pattern set for the festive holidays...... 

For 23rd to 25th I currently have Yr.no (0z ECM) saying barely getting above freezing here with wintry showers, yet XC Weather (12z GFS) saying mild, windy and wet for the same days. Spread on GFS ensemblies is all over the place though beyond the 22nd. I don't think any of the models currently have clue what will happen after Friday. 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

See we already have a yellow wind warning for Thursday, can see that being upgraded in some places once we have more certainty.

• Like 4

Posted
25 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

For 23rd to 25th I currently have Yr.no (0z ECM) saying barely getting above freezing here with wintry showers, yet XC Weather (12z GFS) saying mild, windy and wet for the same days. Spread on GFS ensemblies is all over the place though beyond the 22nd. I don't think any of the models currently have clue what will happen after Friday. 

Yes with the cold air just to the north the slightest deviations on each run give us very different conditions for the 23-26th. However things seem to be gradually edging north (in terms of the progress of the cold air) rather than south. Hopefully that trend will reverse!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
33 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Yes with the cold air just to the north the slightest deviations on each run give us very different conditions for the 23-26th. However things seem to be gradually edging north (in terms of the progress of the cold air) rather than south. Hopefully that trend will reverse!

You're a glass half-full chap! Have to say, my bet would be for us all to be in the mild with the next few runs and for it to stay that way.

• Like 6

Posted

Festive greetings!

Found this on the Met website.

A technical white Xmas for parts of the north 👍 

"Helen continued: “As we begin Christmas Day wintry showers initially feeding in across the north in the colder air mass would technically make it a white Christmas, as we only need to see a single flake falling. Elsewhere, while it is likely at first to be mostly dry there is the potential for rain approaching from the west later on. As this moves east, we may see rain turning to snow, at least over high ground. It’s unlikely that we will see widespread or settling snow giving any proper accumulations. Although technically it might be a white Christmas, don’t get your hopes up for a picture-perfect white landscape."

• Like 5

Posted
2 hours ago, Glaswegianblizzard said:

See we already have a yellow wind warning for Thursday, can see that being upgraded in some places once we have more certainty.

Yes just had a text from electricity network warning of possible interruptions to electricity supply on Thursday and Friday due to high winds

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, sun in summer!

Big eruption on Iceland tonight, it may get a bit stoorie..

• Like 3

Posted
7 hours ago, tiff said:

Big eruption on Iceland tonight, it may get a bit stoorie..

Seems to have reduced somewhat since last night and flows aren't heading towards Grindavik so not as big a disaster as it first looked like. So far.

Chilly night here and we had a pretty heavy shower an hour or so ago.

• Like 5

Posted

Showers are pretty squally but just wet here. No doubt white on the tops.

In other news, Hawkwind's 1972 live album Space Ritual has just been re-released on vinyl for the 1st time in a long time - my old copy is a late 70s repress.... Seems a bit less compressed this time which is nice. Sorry, I know there's unlikely to be many Hawkfans on here...😥God am I showing my age...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Not sure what the Met Office are sitting on here re: this potential storm Gerrit on Thursday but my work are gearing up for significant disruption over the next 2-3 days.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!
2 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Showers are pretty squally but just wet here. No doubt white on the tops.

In other news, Hawkwind's 1972 live album Space Ritual has just been re-released on vinyl for the 1st time in a long time - my old copy is a late 70s repress.... Seems a bit less compressed this time which is nice. Sorry, I know there's unlikely to be many Hawkfans on here...😥God am I showing my age...

Went and seen them in the Apollo around 75 , magic

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Anyone seen nacreous cloud this afternoon?

image.thumb.png.6d1e285b42811bc4485f7d0431e80fde.png  Hello anyone..

3 hours ago, Hairy Celt said:

Anyone seen nacreous cloud this afternoon?

Yes. My daughter got quite few pics. Will post them up shortly.

Edited by Norrance
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, excitement of snow, a hoolie
18 minutes ago, Bats32 said:

Anyone know why Thursdays storm isn't being named, looks nasty?

It is a bit odd as it will be the start of the busy Christmas travel period, and the impacts will linger into Friday and the weekend. Are they waiting on another country (from another group? )

• Like 7

Posted
25 minutes ago, Jo Farrow said:

It is a bit odd as it will be the start of the busy Christmas travel period, and the impacts will linger into Friday and the weekend. Are they waiting on another country (from another group? )

Could be the old anglocentric world view that leads to such wonders as brexit* etc.

*bitter, me?

Edited by Hairy Celt
  • Like 7

Posted
9 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

Could be the old anglocentric world view that leads to such wonders as brexit* etc.

*bitter, me?

I mean, I think for certain if the wind speeds that are being forecast in Scotland on Thursday were being forecast for middle England, undoubtedly it'd be a named storm.

Edited by Paul
  • Like 3