Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scottish weather discussion - Spring 2023/24

Norrance

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
8 minutes ago, Snowandrocks said:

Pretty raw feeling in the wind but a few spells of wet snow earlier. The snow line has been steadily moving down the hill as the day's went on and seemed to be lying down to about 250m as it started to get dark. 

My other half booked a ski session in at the Lecht tomorrow for a beginner friend - they'll probably catch a fair bit tonight but I suspect it could be pretty grim by lunchtime if things warm up as forecast! 

Even at Cairngorm summit temps rise to 2c by 9am so I'd imagine 4 or 5c at the lecht 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.
3 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

Sleety pish is what i would call it... the odd big flake mixed in.. and my app is now saying 16cm overnight so now i trust it even less... i have set my alarm for 6am to check and if there be snaw on the ground im waking the kids up and going out in it, might be the only chance i get this winter...

Mid Jan starting to look quite promising. Long time since a cold spell just then. Probs 2013 I think. 
Today pretty nondescript. Partly cloudy and not too hot or cold . Wind dying down and afternoon temp of 7C. No nacreous cloud but a nice sunset nonetheless.

IMG_2588.jpeg

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,high winds, thunderstorms, extreme weather

Cold wet with sleety rain and odd wet snowflake thick white on Ben More and Klibreck and snow level falling, might see a covering before yet more rain tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Still raining here despite a temperature of 0.7C…..🙄

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Finally we have heavy snow falling and beginning to settle.😀

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

See i knew my app was telling porkies... its been saying snaw fornthe past 3 hours... but its raining.. 

Happy Christmas 🎄 gang and see you all in 2024...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

Cold rain here too at 3.5C. Snowing on the road at Glenshee but for how long?

IMG_2589.jpeg

• Like 6

Posted
5 hours ago, Mair Snaw said:

I think Jan 2018 was a good for cold and snaw i think...

There was some snow showers from theWest/ NW on PM air in Jan 18 at times but not what could be described as a widespread lowlands  snowfall from memory. Here in the East we had a few showers made it through but nothing really noteworthy unlike the beast a month later. Some decent falls furtherWest and in the Highlands though and even some in the Central belt too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been in a strange pattern of waking up around 5am this week and its just happened again. It's very white looking outside, but I'll have to wait until it's light to see quite how deep, assuming it survives until then. 

Edited by Ravelin
  • Like 3
  • Insightful 1

Posted

Bit of a temperature contrast this morning. 10c at Tulloch Bridge, 0c at Aviemore at present! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Insightful 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winter/warm dry summer

Decent covering of snow here in westhill this morning. Turning a bit sleety now tho. Met office forecast for here was/is pretty accurate. BBC however……..hmmmm.

• Like 4

Posted

Some great snow scenes. Thank you so much for posting them up for us deprived down south 🙂

The Lecht ski station also looks good: 

https://www.lecht.co.uk/webcams

There are some impressive temperature gradient contrasts either side of the front: 0C in Aviemore but just 40 miles away as the golden eagle flies 10C in Tulloch Bridge.

1 hour ago, Hawesy said:

Bit of a temperature contrast this morning. 10c at Tulloch Bridge, 0c at Aviemore at present! 

Ha! Just saw yours. Snap 🙂 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

@TillyS Sadly even the Lecht scenes are likely to turn browner again as that front pushes further East, such are the vagaries of the Scottish weather. Hopefully after Xmas the temp will stay cold enough that even if we don't get low level snow, the ski resorts can get, and keep, some.

Can't remember the exact winter, but not that long ago we had one where it was frequent cold rain at low levels but the hills got plastered. At Glenshee they had to dig out some of the pomma lines, it was that deep. Only time I can remember being towed uphill through a virtually head height channel of dug out snow. 

• Like 4