Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Storm Isha, Amber ⚠️

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
14 hours ago, Nick123 said:

I don't think Tuesdays will be as bad or even named. Surely we can't have 2 consecutive named storms?

Feb-22 saw 3 named storms within a week, Dudley, Eunice and Franklin , quite a spell of extreme weather

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/binaries/content/assets/metofficegovuk/pdf/weather/learn-about/uk-past-events/interesting/2022/2022_01_storms_dudley_eunice_franklin_r1.pdf

• Like 1

Posted

Amber has just been extended to my neck of the Wiltshire woods (aka farmland)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
53 minutes ago, IanT said:

It’s winter here in the UK.

A storm can be a storm without being historic.

A cold spell can be a cold spell without being historic - as we have just seen.

Would it benefit us to return to a time when forecasts were forecasts without hype?

Yes, get you're meaning, problem today we live in a nanny state ,so let all of us be told ,and then we don't have to use good old fashioned common sense ,which sadly lacking in today's politically correct society. .....😲

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Saltdean,Nr Brighton,East Sussex,Hither Green,SE London.
38 minutes ago, IanT said:

It’s winter here in the UK.

A storm can be a storm without being historic.

A cold spell can be a cold spell without being historic - as we have just seen.

Would it benefit us to return to a time when forecasts were forecasts without hype?

Totally with you on this.

However I would suggest impacts are likely from this one so warnings are required.

We could certainly point to many of the yellow warnings in the past as being unnecessary and evidence of the nanny state we live in.

When somthing a little more serious pops up as is the case today your 'average jo' is completely desensitised and sets about their life safe in their knowledge that it is a big fuss about nothing!

We can only hope that when a storm comes that is worth warnings 80mph to 100mph) and occurs during a rush hour people are taking their phone apps and news broadcasts seriously.

As I said earlier, pay attention to the M.O now.

Where they have the strongest warnings is where the highest winds will be.

People still cherry picking random model runs to show their  back yard might be worse than expert predictions and where the highest winds will be🤣

If you switch from yellow to Amber today then you will be in for a rough ride, not historic, but watch out for that flying trampoline!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, T Storms.
12 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Amber Warning extended to nearly all the UK. Never seen that before..

Screenshot_20240121_101500_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.83d88113ee0af641020518dc957a5999.jpg

Wow, and to be honest expected. I can not believe there's people in here saying we are hyping this up. It's going to be a major storm, OK probably not as strong as the extreme stuff some are after, but very stronge winds for hours country wide is serious even so. There will be areas with extreme gusts too.

Edited by alexisj9
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow (but who doesnt like that)
52 minutes ago, Wivenswold said:

It does seem to be the bit of Kent that juts out into the Channel that gets the worst. My mate up the road from you says pretty much the same thing as you.
Fingers crossed you all stay damage-free down there today.

Thank you so much for your kindness

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, sunnijim said:

Totally with you on this.

However I would suggest impacts are likely from this one so warnings are required.

We could certainly point to many of the yellow warnings in the past as being unnecessary and evidence of the nanny state we live in.

When somthing a little more serious pops up as is the case today your 'average jo' is completely desensitised and sets about their life safe in their knowledge that it is a big fuss about nothing!

We can only hope that when a storm comes that is worth warnings 80mph to 100mph) and occurs during a rush hour people are taking their phone apps and news broadcasts seriously.

As I said earlier, pay attention to the M.O now.

Where they have the strongest warnings is where the highest winds will be.

People still cherry picking random model runs to show their  back yard might be worse than expert predictions and where the highest winds will be🤣

If you switch from yellow to Amber today then you will be in for a rough ride, not historic, but watch out for that flying trampoline!

I can do the opposite and point to numerous strong easterlies that should have been at least yellow and caused damage down here, with no warnings.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow
20 minutes ago, Polar Maritime said:

Amber Warning extended to nearly all the UK. Never seen that before..

Screenshot_20240121_101500_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.83d88113ee0af641020518dc957a5999.jpg

Interesting that the London area , parts of central and eastern areas only left out of the amber...what is it about this part of the country that would result in the winds being somewhat less strong given that parts of cambridgeshire are in the amber. .also given the large population of the London area and home counties which is as i understand is taken into account for the warnings...

Screenshot_20240121_103539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.07dbcf9ceb365bb16f1839ae2d7572ee.jpg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather
27 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Interesting that the London area , parts of central and eastern areas only left out of the amber...what is it about this part of the country that would result in the winds being somewhat less strong given that parts of cambridgeshire are in the amber. .also given the large population of the London area and home counties which is as i understand is taken into account for the warnings...

Screenshot_20240121_103539_Chrome.thumb.jpg.07dbcf9ceb365bb16f1839ae2d7572ee.jpg

Thought it would be amber owing to the fact construction rarely factors severe  weather in the SE where up here everything’s generally built storm proof 

Edited by Scuba steve
  • Like 2

Posted
19 minutes ago, chris78 said:

I'd say the objections to warnings are more evidence of a nannying attitude, a sort of infantalisation of the public.  Warnings come with caveats and likelihood attached, that leaves mature rational adults with the information needed to make plans or change plans if they wish to. 

I'm not sure anyone is objecting to warnings?

The assumption that the population are all mature rational adults is open to some debate as is that folk rushed off their feet have time to study caveats.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, warm sunny days , gales in Autumn , frost in Winter .

Goodness me didn't expect an Amber 24hours ago, I think I'll make sure the garden is as safe as can be.  

Just starting to hear a gust or two down the chimney . 

Stay safe everyone . 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything extreme

I’m not surprised to see the amber warning cover more of the UK now. 
The period of time these strong winds will occur isn’t seen often. I mean, we’ll all be seeing hours of strong winds all evening and tonight, it doesn’t happen all too often to be this strong for this long. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Seems very odd that met office have blanketed the uk in warnings and left a small section out. For instance , follow the A44 towards Oxford /London from where I live and about 18 miles down the road it's in the clear?  Chipping Norton is about 22 miles away from where I live , and that's in the clear, and yet Chipping Norton is one of the highest towns in the Cotswolds, at about 700ft ,much higher than where I live! I think the wind will be even worse for Chipping Norton than my location ,seeing it's height and exposure. .....uummmmmgh !

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Crystal Clear High Pressure & Blue Skies

Current Obs align well to the Met Office Fax from earlier, still some deepening to go on Isha, and this deepening phase happening right on our doorstep.

image.thumb.png.17eb1058dbc65f2c968609eb002cf43f.pngimage.thumb.png.0306e40ce49f0c6a10cd3f4c48b0df69.pngimage.thumb.png.e12b3669649abaa0c977ec887adc7059.png

Another 10mb to drop and you can see the extent of the wind-field on UKV which has ushered in the Amber.

image.thumb.png.d08079a1e46891cca45af292b2767043.pngimage.thumb.png.78c639220a383011837f23335d91e4f4.png 

Second pulse slams into Western Isles by midnight

image.thumb.png.879198975cee9167b675d763882ee545.png

• Insightful 3

Posted
1 minute ago, cj114 said:

Just remembered the '87 storm. My friends Son went into their Bedroom saying "Dad, there's a Tree in our Garden", Dad "We have lots of Trees Son", Son "But it's not our Tree!"

Yes🤣 " mum, dad, nan and Grandads conservatory chairs have just flown past"

The destruction of the wooden conservatory next door saw everything within it take flight lit by live power cables falling all around.

A night that will forever live in the memory.

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, minus10 said:

Shelter from the sw by Chiltern perhaps plus very long land track 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Whatever Mother Nature cares to throw my way
1 minute ago, alexisj9 said:

Shelter from the sw by Chiltern perhaps plus very long land track 

& the South Downs

• Like 1