Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Pray for the demise of yet another late Sudden Spring Wrecker (SSW)!

Don't mind colder temps ala, April 2021 but not interested in the obscene dullness another Sudden Spring Wrecker will bestow upon us!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SunSean Yes, if the supposed SSW does occur I hope we see a month similar to April 2021. It was drier and sunnier than the fabled April 2020, but temps were flipped around. Harsh frosts and most of the rainfall in the first half was from snowfall. I do recall from the 13th onwards seeing continuous unbroken sunshine.. what a lovely month.

What I don't want to see is another April 2012 or 2023, boring and dull. Can't recall a single thing from last April.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

Frigid Yes, cracking month that. Wouldn't mind seeing a March version of an April 2021 too!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

SunSean intuition tells me that last spring was a case of everything that could go wrong going wrong. It definitely felt very unusual for the cold weather to be prolonged for so long, SSW or not. I'm sure they should only last for a week or so at best. Three months worth was just obscene.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

First celandine in the garden this afternoon, more signs spring is ready to arrive!

20240202_135433.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For what it's worth, CFSv2 overall is going for a slightly milder than average spring today.

image.thumb.png.2576c98a91352fc75e509a8e31f10dc4.png

Broken down by month, March looks near average, which would feel quite cold I imagine, especially in the first half.

image.thumb.png.ebd19c4fa19297127659131837818dd3.png

We then have a slightly milder than average April.

image.thumb.png.c6d3ef8c9b20f78ef30a2dfcba7a71ab.png

Similar in May, only slightly warmer than average.

image.thumb.png.8268f55f38830eb4377bcab44457c527.png

I do think this might be masking some more significant week-to-week variation - we could have a cold spell in the first half of March and a warmer second half, or something like that. Probably need to wait until some of the other models come more into range.

EC46 can maybe give us an early idea, as it also reaches into the early spring now. It is going for a colder end to winter and beginning of March, from 26th February to 4th March.

image.thumb.png.b55a368774a96d445a6b80004763581d.png

The 4th to the 11th then looks non-descript.

image.thumb.png.4dfb26a1de295ca74c6bde11db9ca43e.png

Possible early hints of a transition to something warmer from the 11th-18th.

image.thumb.png.ed29c77550bf837c374c59d4dcbd8f36.png

Summary

Of course this may look completely different in a few days, but worth keeping an eye on. Frankly this isn't really what I'd like to see. I'm not a fan of overly hot weather in excess of 30C, but I do like warmth in spring and early summer. A cold first half of March is fine if it delivers snow, but after that it can do one. Cold in late March or into April is just a waste of time these days from a snow perspective, and so I'd much rather have warm sunny days than cold rain. I don't want a repeat of last year with no widespread 20C days until well into May.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

For what it's worth, the GFS 35-day chart at 00z today is just broadly very non-descript. Control is a warm outlier, but the mean is just bang on average for the most part.

image.thumb.png.dbdd8b06b87934f1b2bac78ea052e94a.pngimage.thumb.png.e7a97a7786938a922b2fe495cba595db.png

A lot will depend on if we do get the much-forecasted SSW in mid-February I imagine, and if so what effect it has, as every SSW is different. It is possible it could give us a repeat of last year with a near-average spring (hence feeling cooler than many recent years), but equally it is not unheard of for an SSW to bring an early spring.

• Thanks 1

Posted

Can't wait for spring and the lighter evenings. Fed up of the dark since November. Fed up of the cold. Praying for some warmth April/May. Last year they were awful. Cold. A terrible extension of winter. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

NEVES SCREAMER there seems to be some confidence among some people in a record breaking warm May, but I think that's largely down to the fact that it's way overdue and such a May hasn't really occurred yet. It's disappointing to see long range forecasts not entertain this possibility though.

Posted

raz.org.rain Again, I think it really depends on your outlook.

July was about average compared to 1961-1990 (though much wetter). It would have been cool compared to 1991-2020 though, and if you compare to the last ten Julys, say, it would be very cool.

As far as last year goes for Spring, we had CET and anomalies to 1961-1990 as follows:

March: 7.0 (+1.4C)

April: 8.7 (+0.8C)

May: 12.5 (+1.4C)

That's probably about as bad a combination as you can get with those anomalies. In other words, the coldest month being April delays the feel of anything warm, and May wasn't really warm enough to make up for it.

If you took the same overall spring anomaly, about +1.2C on 1961-1990, and distributed it differently, it'd feel a lot better.

Suppose we had instead:

March: 5.0 (-0.6C)

April: 10.0 (+2.1C)

May: 13.2 (+2.1C)

The cold March would have been quickly forgotten, especially if it came in the form of a more notable cold spell early on with widespread snow, and a significantly warmer April and May would make up for it.

It can be as much about distribution as the overall warmth that affects the feel of a season and of course other factors affect the feel as well (highs vs. lows, precipitation, sunlight, wind). 2023 was just a very odd year - a lot of interesting synoptics, but mostly at the wrong times of year. The same can be done with the summer - if you'd swapped the late May through most of June anomaly into July, and the early September anomaly somewhere into August, it would be remembered as a very good summer.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms and long, sunny summers

While the focus has been on the potential incoming cold spell, something else on the gfs has caught my eye.  Look at the increase in 850 temps in Africa! from 5 to around 24 over the run, a sure sign that winters days are numbered and spring is inbound. 

image.thumb.png.fe8dd06932b4ab6e0e6b4fbb68e14bb3.pngimage.thumb.png.2d3a7a7f65bc40716277e1d5b00d6ebb.png

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Here comes spring...

image.thumb.png.66ee53c09bebfbdde837fc582b925136.png image.thumb.png.a367ca337524af65c2295d5e8b822408.png

Pretty impressive uppers for feb to our south

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted

raz.org.rain The long range forecasts for winter were rubbish (January and especially February supposed to be very cold/colder than average?), so I am not gonna trust the ones for spring summer...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms. Warm weather. Not hot or cold weather.

This cherry tree thinks it is spring.

20240206_130128.jpg

20240206_130416.jpg

Posted

Wow 😲

image.thumb.png.b548af7488fe642639b2aa036205c7c1.png

Never mind spring, last nights GFS slams summer straight into western Europe, gets the 20 degree isotherm into southern France, with surface temps in the range of 25-31 degrees. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and heatwave

First daffodil I've seen,near Grantham 

20240210_140334.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

*Stormforce~beka* I'm still unconvinced, I'm not the only one either. Outside of the hypers and rampers, there's no agreement on what an SSW will deliver for us. But many have pointed out that it's definitely not a guarantee of a 2018 style BFTE. I'm still leaning towards an early spring personally.

Edited by raz.org.rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎
On 08/02/2024 at 16:10, WeatherArc said:

Never mind spring, last nights GFS slams summer straight into western Europe, gets the 20 degree isotherm into southern France, with surface temps in the range of 25-31 degrees.

Well ,todays charts show no warmth at all for this area......

h850t850eu (5).webp