Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Come on Spring! arriving next week (south) maybe for holiday week, 14-15 Wed/Thurs

I often think Feb is more early spring

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I remember Atlantic 252

It certainly can be 1990 first record warm feb day solar max, but we ll pick an extreme year record breaking and its in your era 1998..

A record temperature of 13.5c then 15c by the romantic day..then by March 1st we had 1 inch of snow shortlived..

Then we had a big surprise didn t watch any forecast at that time we had a blizzard with 6 inches of snow Nly gales..

Followed by another blizzard, other snow had thawed except drifts,but 9 inches of snow it was nothing like I ve seen before in april..Next time that happend was April 2000 and April 2012..April 1998 remains as the snowiest april on record here..

image.thumb.png.06860068f56083c2fb2aa9d857c3aa65.pngimage.thumb.png.68612870bfd08959bff85e3df2f35ec8.pngimage.thumb.png.2099532cf799b1d961805e80510b305f.pngimage.thumb.png.794400e8bb5a40c7faf408dcb5a39db7.png

Edited by Snowyowl9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

I remember Atlantic 252 It has felt quite spring-like in recent years. February last year was a classic sunny and mild February, as was Feb 2019.

This Feb is unfortunately shaping up to be a mild but dull one.

Edited by cheese

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy Winters, warm stormy spring & sumemr, cool frosty Autumn!

My small tree in the front has started blossoming already, im looking forward to spring now and seeing everything going into blossom and green again if we won't get snow down here. Saying that March the last several years is the only time on the coast I've had any laying snow, not winter itself so see if this year it happens again!

Posted

I think the biggest concern at the moment is flooding. I've decided really that almost regardless of temperature, a prolonged dry period is probably the most important thing. In order of possibilities for March, I'd probably order them as follows for preference, from best to worst.

First half:

Cold and dry (though with some snowy interludes, of course!)

Mild/warm and dry

Mild/warm and wet

Cold and wet

Second half:

Warm and dry

Cold and dry

Mild/warm and wet

Cold and wet

I'm actually getting quite concerned about the continued persistence of wet weather. Another named storm / atmospheric river type event could lead to an absolute disaster from a flooding point of view. I'm continuing to read of landslips, dozens of flood alerts, and so on. If anyone says anything this year about needing more rain, then they need to give their head a wobble, frankly. I don't see how drought could even start to be a concern before 2025, even if we have a record-breaking hot and dry spring, summer, and early autumn.

• Like 4

Posted

Well spring can go rogue and bring back deep winter..and the record books gets broken..

image.thumb.png.1beb49c045d954cf2843f1328a4ed140.pngimage.thumb.png.65bbe478714929b72fed7a892809de2b.pngimage.thumb.png.74270e2ec0c7a237c23748e048665096.pngimage.thumb.png.55d8dab715dc1ef110f64f44194a6451.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

raz.org.rain looks like a hot spring basically everywhere other than the UK. Lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I don't believe ANY of the negative forecasts for spring. According to them, February was supposed to be the coldest winter month and generally it should have been a back-loaded winter. Look how wrong they are proving to be. Always believe the opposite of what they predict and you are more likely to be right 😉

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

In Absence of True Seasons  SunnyG that map is for the current temperature anomalies as far as I can tell. I believe he's referring to the ECMWF long range, although I'm not sure what brought him to think that a record breaking spring is coming.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

SunnyG 100%. I stand by the notion that X month being X weather means X conditions for the next month/s is a fantasy. The weather does not abide to sentiments like "If you have a warm Spring, you'll pay for it with a cool Summer" or vice versa. 2022 and 2020 as well as 2018 demonstrate that even if we just look at the last 5 years.

Likewise, one month being hot or cold isn't an indication that the proceeding month will follow suit. Look at June 2023 and July 2023 for example... 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Saw some daffodils coming out this morning when I was on my run.  Was then doing a bit of work in the garden in just jeans and a tee shirt and felt very spring like until the sun went in.  Spring not far away people!   Also happy to just see a bit of sun this weekend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

Well February 11th today and actually this weekend has not been too bad ,apart from a few showers this afternoon.  Felt very pleasant in the sunshine against the backdrop of our brick wall against the utility.  Okay it's a sun trap ,and it's too hot in the summer there, but it did feel very spring like today when I sat there in the sunshine for a few minutes and got my much needed Vitamin D  !☺🌞🌞

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

cheese Trouble with February is the still short daylight hours and cool sun, the latter does tend to have a tinge of warmth to it in the last week, but it never properly feels like Spring. Its different to the last month of the next season i.e. May which by mid month can feel every bit like the next season i.e. summer, with sunshine levels nearing yearly peak and the long days. August though like February never feels like Autumn.. but November by mid month can often feel like winter, short daylight, weak sun.. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Ah, the annual dilemma in mid February; looking forward to Spring, but feeling 'short changed' as Winter hasn't delivered......

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Whats interesting about last summer is the best analogue we had was probably 1957 with regards to the development of the El Nino and that had a barnstorming June followed by a wet fart of a July/August, which isn't too far from how it evolved last year in the end. Of course the September hot spell was a nice little bonus.

@damianslaw I'd imagine where you are yes February can never feel spring like. I'd argue close to the south coast though by the time your through mid month it absolutely can feel like Spring, albeit early of course! February 19 felt extremely spring like as probably the best example when I stayed on the south coast for that week.

Edited by kold weather
  • Like 1