Thunder?
Local
Radar
Hot?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted

Heights remaining stubbornly persistent throughout the 6z ensembles to our south and south west up until roughly the 10 day point when there are signs of this retreating west which allows some attempts at a northerly flow and lowering of heights to our east. Too far out for any confidence and the cold patterns that do follow don’t inspire hugely as those heights are never too far away from creeping back towards the UK. At least there are hints of a pattern change towards the end of the 10 day period, just about whether that gains momentum or fizzles out.  Personally, my confidence is pretty low for February now having read the mixed analysis on here the last few days.

• Like 2

@Met4Cast I do think another bout of amplification is possible. Often cold snaps tend to repeat synoptically around 3-5 weeks after. I can think of countless examples. So from a predictive statistics perspective I think a northerly spell is very possible into February at some point. Probably watered down by the strong signal for Iberian heights though.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

@Met4Cast I do think another bout of amplification is possible. Often cold snaps tend to repeat synoptically around 3-5 weeks after. I can think of countless examples. So based on that I think a northerly spell is very possible into February at some point.

I agree about the quotes.

I’m certainly not ruling out another cold spell, just not entirely buying it just yet. Especially given the uncertainty wrt the MJO at the moment. 

Sustained HLB seems a lower likelihood outcome but another boring northerly is a possibility. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

@Met4Cast you can actually Quote what you want by using the Quote function by keeping your finger for a few moments on the sentence etc . I’ve had a go and it works really well, as Paul said gets rid of a lot of clutter on members posts ……😊

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

@Met4Cast

Agree with you w/uncertainty but at least we're not guaranteed to be zonal for the rest of Winter is all I can say. Long-term it is mostly guess work based off the slightly most likely outcome at the moment.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

I’m certainly not ruling out another cold spell, just not entirely buying it just yet. Especially given the uncertainty wrt the MJO at the moment. 

Sustained HLB seems a lower likelihood outcome but another boring northerly is a possibility. 

I'm not buying into anything just saying it's possible. It's mid winter it's possible every year, though probably lower this year compared to most.

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 3

Posted

There is some thought behind the change to the quoting system, and it is something used on other forum software very successfully, so perhaps give it a chance to bed in and see what you make of it at that point. There is a thread covering it on the go (along with a big banner on every page, pointing to it), so if you have comments or questions about it please head there and don't put them in here as a. it's off topic and b. it's less likly your questions and feedback will be seen, discussed or acted upon.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
15 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

Deterministic runs, Wed 24th to Tue 30th

If it weren't January, then there might be some more interest in what the low pressure that appears in the Atlantic on Sunday will do... most of the models send at least a part of it to the southeast to become a cut-off heat pump low... "lol". Some have it kicking a surface high over the UK too.

animacy2.gifanimpfv8.gifanimlfu8.gif
animjmf5.gifanimcko9.gif
animoeg5.gifanimtit6.gif

Ensemble means, Wed 31st to Tue 6th

It looks as though "peak bulge" over the UK may be Wednesday & Thursday next week, offering us benign beginnings to February. By that weekend, we see the lowest heights to our northwest having migrated to our northeast, perhaps indicating the possibility of a cooler pattern emerging?

animhut6.gifanimpfb0.gifanimhpz7.gif

Deterministic runs, Wed 24th to Wed 31st

Each time it looks as though a sustained dry spell might build, something comes along to interfere with it. Still, there are plenty of shorter dry periods showing here, especially further south.

animjxt4.gifanimyon9.gifanimqtz5.gif

Ensemble means, Wed 31st to Wed 7th

The PV seems to go east, only to then possibly come back west again soon after. The heights to the south seem to gradually recede from their peak at the beginning of this period.

animiij6.gifanimhjk0.gifanimbod8.gif

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

Especially given the uncertainty wrt the MJO at the moment. 

Todays updates on the bc aren’t great as they trend to cod in 7 without any decent amplification 

the non bc output is decent amp in 7. 

Weeks 2 and 3 on ec 46 (which are usually fairly reliable) are indicative of 7 and then 8 but judging amplification is going to be the issue at this range . I’d like to think that just as we had general agreement that the current run through the Indian Ocean would die in 3 (was wrong ) corrected to a high amp through 4 and 5 , so we can see this death in the w pacific overplayed too. 

Edited by bluearmy
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Thunderstorms,

@bluearmy I’m having flashbacks to the previous cycle when many of us thought models were overplaying the signal decline but modelling ended up being right with that, albeit the atmospheric state is very different now compared with then. 

A case of waiting & watching, again!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, heat, sunshine, hail. Basically Seasonal.

Weren't there always a signal for a cold spell around mid February - if so then they've done well with it, even if the past week they've moved away from the solution. LRFs also rather consistent still. 

Edited by CoventryWeather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storm, drizzle

Using verification, the GEFS has generally trended -VE of the actual strength of the wave propagation, the GFS slightly above but as we go further towards the future, they move very close together and phase 5-7 are more responding to a quickly falling -VE IOD (a fairly strong wave strength response but it's not the only variable, just 1 of the MJO spread inputs) so potentially may be underdoing the strength of the active western Pacific response further away from the western Maritime region slightly infiltrated w/dry air occluded into the far western Maritime region likely in response to the trend away from a +VE IOD, not a full on dry response but not as +VE wet as the normal composite and that dry air into parts of the Maritime region. Whereas a wetter than normal eastern Maritime and western Pacific that has been characterised poorly by the GFS so far. Theoretically leading to a larger response in phase 7.

image.thumb.png.40f4cd595d12635eddfa9379851e7b1a.png

image.thumb.png.54768d6456242037873bf38482a3148a.png

Edited by Eagle Eye
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
1 hour ago, Tamara said:

But there are now clear signs of quite a potent momentum surge on the GSDM MT plots and a poleward directional +EAMT springboard and stratospheric pathway.

Those fine lines of synoptic outcome under recent discussion look set to swing a pendulum back again. I have no skin in the game, or interest at all, in respect of favoured weather type across NW Europe, especially living in Portugal, but there looks to be a good match to support extended modelling that migrates high pressure NW'ward beyond (approx) the second week of February.

How that fully manifests at this time, cannot be gleaned by anyone at this time. However the likely repercussions of the momentum transport, based on the updated evidence, looks set for the largest diminution within the stratosphere this season.

How can we assess the likelihood that this will occur, with respect to the earlier suggestions of high pressure to the north at an earlier timeframe (i.e. between the cold spell which has recently ended, and the timeframe of this new suggestion now being made) which it now appears will not occur?

• Like 2

Posted
27 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

Todays updates on the bc aren’t great as they trend to cod in 7 without any decent amplification 

I thought they looked a bit fishy! 😊

• Like 3

Posted

Starting to head in right direction worth noting the GEFS seem to have identified the likely return of -NAO/-AO before EPS.

IMG_1652.thumb.png.56e3bb3da9e6a13e08badcd022a967d1.pngIMG_1651.thumb.png.ea213174942da9c40a19f409d1cc2f5b.png

• Like 5

Posted

@Daniel* maybe a day ahead on the AO (20th against 21st).  Can’t really see that the NAO is a definitive call yet as marginally neg for now 

Edited by bluearmy