Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model Output Discussion - Spring Has Sprung

Message added by Paul,

Please read the model discussion guidelines  before posting into this thread.

Posted
2 hours ago, Singularity said:

Some here seem to view a strong Iberian high as a driver of weather patterns - but this is not so, it’s a response to drivers. In this case the forcing leads to attempts to establish a high over N Europe which are countered by the AO being too positive (likely related to the unusual stratospheric events - who’d have rationally bet on that one?), meaning that in a sense, amplification becomes trapped over S Europe.

Due to the MJO & AAM setup, further attempts to shift the high N are likely in the coming weeks (which can happen abruptly even with a strong Euro high). Signs are the first of those in 6 days time will likely fall short & boost the high over C/S Europe instead. Then, however, we are seeing the models tend to raise polar heights as we head into Feb. That improves the chances of the next attempt being successful, regardless of how current modelling paints the picture (they’re not actually that reliable for week 2+, it’s just easier to predict +NAO because it happens way more often than -NAO in N Atlantic climatology).

Emphasis on chance here. As Tamara has said many times over the years, there’s no magic bullet for HLB patterns. As I’ve said before, the most likely outcome isn’t always what happens. With this in mind I’ve found forecast model watching a lot less stressful.

Very interesting and helpful analysis, thank you.  So, it comes down to whether we can remove that strong AO signal in order for heights to build sufficiently north. Background signals are there and as you have highlighted there are some tentative signs in the latter stages of output but all too far away to be taken seriously at this point. At present, it does seem as if it’s rinse and repeat up until end of first week of Feb. All a bit underwhelming…

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Derecho said:

We all know how the BOM MJO phase 7 prediction turned out in December.

I hope we do get into phase 7 but it looks very uncertain to me going by the other models. Phase 6 in January is followed by very mild weather and in February it is cyclonic. We could get stuck in phase 6 for quite a while.

image.thumb.png.f6326a19b3a52cc5bf3d248c9314989c.pngimage.thumb.png.f777cbcea27795d35f6fa1743dffe490.png

EC does get there on it's ens mean but If we are to get out of this rut, the increasingly slow progression towards a phase 7 means I'm not hopeful of much interesting until the second week of Feb (around the 10th).

By that point we have to start relying on increasingly impressive synoptics to get a good cold spell. If we can't get that I'd prefer a Feb 1998 type of month.

Feb 2018 did show we can get something potent but time is starting to work against us now.

Sorry but my glass is half empty today.

I also do believe the Iberian high is becoming more prominent due to climate change. Problem with that is if we get lower heights over the Azores (which is more common in El Nino late winters), this can actually make things even milder if the Iberian high doesn't subside we end up with a deep fetch SW'ly. Feb 1998 again being a prime example.

Not suggesting it will go that way at this early stage but the GFS is very stubborn with the Euro heights. EC also very poor at day 10.

Ec MJO forecast mean looks low amplitude phase 7 but if we remove the cluster that dies in phase 6 then we should get a decent arrival of amplitude in phase 7 before it heads into COD 

• Like 6

Posted
54 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Indeed, just been checking historical charts since 2000 and while persistent Bartletts are frequent (as we all know)  the size and extent of the current Iberian/Mediterranean High is off the scale.

Are we now at the stage where one has to question, will this country actually see a genuinely cold winter again, or have we now reached the stage where CC has made this virtually impossible?! 😬

• Like 6

Posted
4 minutes ago, Tamara said:

My post profile does not now go back far enough to quote the relevant excerpts - but sometime around the festive period or early January, I made one particular summary which outlined the fine lines between +ve momentum transport pathway synoptic outcomes according to whether fluxing was poleward (and under unstable stratospheric conditions), or, equatorward (under stable stratospheric conditions or where a reflective warming event occurs).  snip

was it this one?

Always expect the unexpected.  What doesn't make sense, usually gets supplied with an answer why if one waits for it.  

Equatorial fluxing between the tropics & extra tropics has created intense sub tropical ridging and a vastly inflated Azores/Atlantic ridge. That does, contrary to prior expectations in absence of it, make complete intuitive sense. With this, and stubborn legacy of -ve inertia within the extra tropics on the back of two large -ve MT events across both Asia & NA in mid late November and again in the early part of this month, then angular momentum falls shorter than it otherwise would and much greater polar jet energy is present as a consequence - in tandem with the strong sub tropical ridging.

In the absence, at this time, of any switch in fluxing between the tropics & extra tropics to boost amplification in the extra tropics than a continued mid latitude ebb & flow of ridges is well modelled by NWP and the polar front restricted with its inroads in longevity towards NW Europe. SW Europe stays under the influence of the resident anticyclone.

On 15/12/2023 at 12:31, northwestsnow said:

Your post the other day was so so true with reference to teleconnections ,they have limitations insofar as our tiny island is concerned

.The biggest elephant in the room is GW ,and the Hadley cell, its a winter killer for Europe..

Looking at the MJO in isolation is not a magic bullet, especially to try to fit to idealised synoptics. As seen in the ongoing scenario where the tropics & extra tropics are so out of kilter and producing a-typical Nina-esque patterns in what is an El Nino background. Any fluxing from tropical eddies into the extra tropics is muted and rather than eddy waves propagating poleward, they serve instead to boost the Hadley cell and bottle up the pole. In this context also, any displacement of the polar vortex is equally subdued by the ferrel cell asserting itself over the polar cell.

Macro-scale meteorological tools are not intended to micro scale forecast for a very small geographical area in the first place. They assist a framework for the larger hemisphere scale pattern to be evaluated within which that micro scale area exists. But more than anything else, as is always on auto-repeat - no diagnostic approach is intended to be skewed into fitting an idealised weather preference & outcome. Which is why so much mood driven emotion consumes this thread between about November and March.

On 17/12/2023 at 11:16, Kasim Awan said:

Often happens in El Nino years, warm September was a giveaway aswell. EQBO + El Nino combination works in our favour a little though.

x+y= theory does not work in straight equations like this. The precise atmospheric circulation in existence at a given time has to be taken on its own merits - there is no given linear response. This post detail, again, tries to illustrate that. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and dry, or very cold. See my profile for model trivia
15 hours ago, RainAllNight said:

An overview of this afternoon's global model runs.

Deterministic runs, Tue 23rd to Mon 29th

The prospect of dry weather for the south looks reasonable from Saturday onwards. Not sure the wind direction is going to go down too well with many of my fellow members here though!

animhze6.gifanimiqu2.gif
animnho6.gifanimjek0.gif

Ensemble means, Tue 30th to Mon 5th

And it looks as though the theme continues. I would rather this than more storms.

animsex2.gif
animhds8.gifanimgel4.gif

A summary of this morning's global model runs.

Deterministic runs, Tue 23rd to Tue 30th

animlgr2.gifanimtid9.gif
animxtv1.gifanimrpx0.gif

Ensemble means, Tue 30th to Tue 6th

animpuy1.gif
animuat8.gifanimgnd5.gif

Bonus

If this is how it's going to be, then I hope we might at least do it properly!

image.thumb.png.9f75452ad7b612c4d02ad4b082fb5640.pngimage.thumb.png.7b79b5bb744cefd9d6dcb0d8abad54f1.png

Edited by RainAllNight
  • Like 2

Posted

Latest gfs and gem/CDC mjo plots have moved towards the ecm (non BC) in gaining some amplification, through 6 towards 7.

After that then potentially reamplfiying right at the end.

Cfs really goes for it.

Obviously just one piece of the puzzle but, it should promote blocking in favoured areas around 13-14th February with the lag factored in ( just outside the extended model range) but the signal is there on the weekly ecm graphs.

Just a hunch, but there is a probably a good chance late February and March will once again be the best time for some cold and snow outbreaks in Western Europe.

It is infuriating watching that tpv stuck to Greenland every run atm in the heart of winter

ECMF (9).png

GEFS (3).png

CANM (1).png

NCFS (1).png

• Like 8

Posted
39 minutes ago, RainAllNight said:

animuat8.gifanimgnd5.gif

Bonus

If this is how it's going to be, then I hope we might at least do it properly!

image.thumb.png.9f75452ad7b612c4d02ad4b082fb5640.pngimage.thumb.png.7b79b5bb744cefd9d6dcb0d8abad54f1.png

It's look increasingly likely that February will usher in an early spring as opposed the the 'main course' of winter!  I know there is the 2nd half, but experience tells me this is a long shot once a pattern sets in as modelled, thinking back to the likes of February 1990 and 1998 etc.

Does not inspire me whatsoever! 😒

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 hour ago, johnholmes said:

I am pretty sure that meteorologists and climatologists will probably already be preparing learned texts explaining why certain meteorological parameters are now different to what we remember, in my case, 60+ years ago. Just whether they will be proved correct is something that will be evident in a decade or several decades time.

I'll watch with interest from my 'perch' up above!

John.

I feel the same way.... I'd love to see this through ... but.. 

I have tried to rationalise (for my own piece of mind)... all of the above posts and come to the following conclusions.  (in very simple terms)-

The weather at our latitude say 45 - 65N , sees a constant battle between 2 major forcing 'agents'.

1) The polar vortex. It determines the strength of the polar and northern hemisphere jet-streams, - which frequently determine the weather at our latitudes. However strength of the vortex can be affected by factors such as the overall polar temperature (AGW?)  - and other agencies such as a stratospheric 'warming' or even more by a full SSW. .  These latter 2 'agents' are themselves  jointly produced(?) by ineraction between it  and the other major atmospheric feature of our northern hemisphere atmosphere -

2) The equatorial/tropical  climate pattern behaviour.  or whatever it is called. It is made up like a jigsaw and is in constant flux, though apparently does not see the same warming as at the pole.

It mainly originates in the massive Pacific ocean, by means of oscillations and eddies which  can drive up into our latitudes and even beyond at times. However, whilst a very strong vortex would probably he able to withstand these affects in one part  of the hemisphere it would still allow any  weakness else where for it to push up further north.

and in the Atlantic 

3) The Hadley cell - our main buffer against  these southern intrusions - which can occasionally get pushed out of the way in the winter.. , but which can move northwards more  easily when the vortex dies back in the summer.  

So in my simplistic terms,  the Spanish 'high pressure' is an extension of the Hadley cell and is  one of those instances when the vortex is relatively weak. (as it is now in historical terms) and allows the  tropical interaction to be  able to find a jink in the northern jet (the southern arm at any rate) into which it gets promoted and can develop, and then can push further north.. 

It is a feature developed because of the constant ever changing balance within the equatorial and polar forces..

When the vortex is colder it will give more strength to the jets enabling them  to push further south, and then prevent any push northwards of the Spanish high..

Clearly, something has changed..  Mediterranean climate was characterised by warm very wet winters ... where have they gone in recent years.?

I hope my simplistic way of looking at things is useful to some...

MIA

Edited by Midlands Ice Age
  • Like 5

Posted

@Midlands Ice Age

Indeed and as mentioned previously by @Penrith Snow, the one teleconnection that is frequently left out of discussion here on the model outputs is climate change. I know that sounds horribly vague when we’re dealing with intricate scientific weather patterns, but it’s affecting so many of the upstream signals. Right down to the SST anomalies off the Azores, for example.

Someone mentioned the other day that we seemed to have had in place the synoptics for last week's cold snap to be memorable. To turn into something that was seen by those older than I in the 1970’s and 1980’s. It really was looking juicy, with some truly eye-popping charts on the ECM for instance. Then it all went down the pan.

Maybe every time we see a juicy looking chart that’s out beyond T168 we should then stop and ask ourselves, 'now how might a warming climate affect the outcome?'

It was always knife edge in this country. Now it seems to fall the wrong side 19x out of 20.

• Like 7

Posted

Febr is heading for a new winter phase , days of ideas between 3-5 febr 

but thats only the first setup......

image.thumb.png.6ccfd26d0dc075a51a96fe6f42fc9e61.pngimage.thumb.png.0da511474111d6a4c667809da26da4b7.pngimage.thumb.png.22f798aaf481ecc3a5cfb5dcac051738.png

Edited by Dennis
  • Like 5

Posted

Is it me or have there been some small upgrades to MJO forecasts in last day or two? 

Edit: Just seen Battleground Snow's post agreeing that there has been some amplification in some forecasts towards phases 6 and 7

Edited by BarnetBlizzard
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Polar lows are the dream

@Penrith Snow - totally agree.

I think the bottom line is that the impacts of CC are manifesting in the increased frequency of certain weather patterns in the winter, as @Catacol alluded to.

My simplistic understanding is that GHGs stop heat escaping from the troposphere into the strat, cooling the strat, which in turn gives us a tighter sPV and tPV, with the polar jet pulled poleward, which allows HP to ridge north into southern Europe.

Fascinating discussion though and just hope the tropical forcing comes to our aid soon.

Thanks all!

• Like 4

Posted

I think the met office update is more a reflection of what models are showing not that it’s necessarily right. ECMWF and most of guidance now converging on entering phase 7 this weekend factor a 10 day lag. Surely with rising AAM which I hear GFS especially has a low bias an opportunity can arise before mid point of Feb? Unless vortex scuppers northward blocking potential. Feeling sceptical at the moment in general.

IMG_2022.thumb.png.242f0e64d7f733cd38d79f3bfc0e86f5.png

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Frost and snow. A quiet autumn day is also good.

@Stravaiger Spot on. Your analysis of CC impacts I would say nails it.

To the Mods - taking out the Quote option completely is a mistake. Anyone who wants to know what it is I am agreeing with here now needs to backtrack through the thread. For any who choose to follow key posters only, rather than read every single post, that is hard work. Can we have quote as well as reply??!

Minor edit - this is Stravaiger's good analysis, copy and pasted:

"My simplistic understanding is that GHGs stop heat escaping from the troposphere into the strat, cooling the strat, which in turn gives us a tighter sPV and tPV, with the polar jet pulled poleward, which allows HP to ridge north into southern Europe."

Edited by Catacol
  • Like 7

Posted
2 hours ago, Catacol said:

To the Mods - taking out the Quote option completely is a mistake. Anyone who wants to know what it is I am agreeing with here now needs to backtrack through the thread. For any who choose to follow key posters only, rather than read every single post, that is hard work. Can we have quote as well as reply??!

You do - more info here: 

• Like 4

Posted

I agree with @Mike Poole, I'd say the bulgey Iberian high is more of a consequence than a driver in its own right, but... at the point of forming, it now becomes a driver.

It is more than just semantics as well.

It is probably just too simplistic to label xyz as a pure and simple driver. The feeback mechanisims involved within the atmosphere will have us going around all chasing our tails as we seek the chicken from the egg (or vica versa etc etc etc... 🙂 ) .

I tend to view it on a simple pretext that high pressure fills in as low pressures are created and driven around the globe. Not withstanding of course, the fact that low pressures can't exist without high pressures and and the continued redressing of equilibrium in the atmosphere.

Edited by Duane S.
  • Like 7