Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2006 or summer 2018

Two summers that in my opinion are  very similar because instead of a couple days of extreme heat both summers had weeks of warm to hot weather. 

monthly summaries 

June 2006 

High pressure in charge for the first half with a notable heatwave in the middle where it 32.4 degrees in central London which I believe is one of the earliest dates of a 90 degree temperature? There was a more unsettled second half but high pressure did build up again right at the end of the month with another heatwave. Sunshine hours were also great in this month with an average of 259 hours 32% more than average. It was also very dry with almost no rain and an average of 27mm which is only 40% of the average. There was some severe thunderstorms in places like Cornwall and Devon with 82.1mm recorded in 2 hours at Penzance on the 26th.

July 2006 

July speaks for itself with it still being the hottest and sunniest month on record. It started how June left off with a heatwave in effect 32 degrees was reached in London on the 2nd. But this was just a sigh of things to come as starting from the 16th every day until the 27th apart from the 23rd 30 degrees was recorded somewhere in the country which is almost 12 consecutive days! The heat peaked on the 19th July with a high temperature of 36.5 degrees at Wisley (Surrey) the second hottest day was the 25th with a high of 34 degrees Charlwood (Surrey). Another great feature of this month was that the heat was truly nation wide with a high of 30.5 degrees in Scotland and a high of 34.5 degrees in Wales which was a new Wales  July record. Sunshine totals were also incredible with an 150% more sunshine (263 hours) and an incredible 343 hours recorded at Shanklin and Eastbourne.it was also a very dry month but there was some thunderstorms at the start of the month with 82mm in Yare (Glocs) on the 5-6th.

August 2006 

after two months of hot weather august marked a change with average temperatures (the coolest since 1999)  and being cloudier and slightly wetter then average not a washout but a noticeable contrast from June and July. The hottest day was the 6th with a high of 28.6 which was the first time since 1993 30 degrees was not recorded in august. Although not in meteorological summer September was also very warm being the warmest on record and October was the third warmest.

June 2018 

A warm sunny and very dry June basically everywhere. There was a heatwave right at the end of the month with 5 consecutive days where 30 degrees was reached and a peak of 33.0 Porthmadog on the 29th which is a higher temperature then the high in june 2006 . It was also the fourth sunniest June on record with 142% recorded making it sunnier than June 2006. With an average of 48% it was one of the driest Junes on record with Middlesex recording under 1mm of rain! 

July 2018

July 2018 was very similar to June 2018 as it was very hot sunny and dry. The first half of the month was very anticyclonic being very warm dry and sunny. There was some amazing sunshine totals with 111.9 hours being recorded Morecambe bay in Cumbria from the 1st to the 7th which was a new record overall it was a very sunny month with on 138% of the average but that is nowhere near as sunny as July 2006. There was a notable heatwave in the last 10 days of the month with a maximum of 35.3 degrees at Faversham on the 26th. There was a very warm night on the night of the 26-27th with London st James park not dropping below 21 degrees. It was overall very dry with only 71% of the average being recorded but there was some severe thunderstorms right at the end with 99mm being recorded at Belfast on the 28th. 

August 2018 

august was a tricky One being forgettable competed to June and July 2018 but in any other year it would have been looked at much better. Overall temperatures were slighter above average rain was slightly below average and sunshine was below average the highest temperature of the month was 33.2 degrees at Kew on the 3rd much higher than the august 2006 high. There was a cold night on the 7th with a low of -1.3 at Braemar. One thing that 2006 that 2018 didn’t was a warm autumn with September 2018 and October 2018 both being unsettled. 

After looking through both I would say it’s a tricky one both July 2006 and July 2018 both recorded a CET of above 19 which means there both in the top 5 hottest months on record

if I had to choose I would say 2018 for it’s continued warmth for basically a month and a half but July 2006 is probably the best summer month ever in my opinion but feel free to give me your thoughts 

also hi I just started an account👋

• Like 2

Posted

June and July 2006 were better than 2018, but the summer as a whole was better in 2018 as all three months were decent. August 2006 was cool, dull and wet which brings down the summer a little.

Here 2018 was 0.4C warmer, had 46.7mm less rain and 16 hours more sunshine than 2018. 2006 had 33 days with measurable rain compared to 24 in 2018.

2018 also had a warm, dry and exceptionally sunny May before it whereas May 2006 was extremely wet with average temps and sunshine.

Summer 2022 had less rainfall and more sunshine than both 2006 and 2018 here and also had a warm, sunny and extremely dry Spring before it, so that probably tops both.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow, heat, thunderstorms

reef Agreed. August 2018 was much better than August 2006 so I'd say summer 2018 was better on balance, but summer 2022 was better than both.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

2006 had more intense heat, 2018 was a better Summer overall.

Posted

June 2018 > June 2006 (June 2006 was mostly cloudy in the second half)
July 2006 > July 2018 (July 2018 loses due to the humid final third)
August 2018 > August 2006 (August 2018 was bang average while August 2006 was almost as bad as 2008)

Summer 2018 was better due to the August

Edited by baddie

Posted

Summer 18 just, both Aug 06 and 18 were very dull. Not much in it though, 18 was very wet, but I found June and July 18 less humid than 2006. Also the summer started in early May, by July it felt continental as if it would never end.. 

July 06 was quite exceptional though for depth of heat.

Posted

2018 was so good I named myself after it 😄 

The hot and dry was more consistent in 2018 and from what I remember of it the August was a lot better.

2006 had much better storms though, I can’t recall one from 2018. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

After thinking about it, my preference is for summer 2018. Though 2006 did have more thunderstorms.

In regards to 2006, only July stands out as being exceptional in terms of temps. June was nice enough but fairly average overall, though it was fairly sunny. August was mediocre at best in terms of both temps and sunshine.

As for summer 2018, I remember the heat arriving just after the solstice. It lasted throughout July and ended after the first week of August. It was also sunny for much of the time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

A little too young to remember 2006, but if the summers of 2006, 2018 and 2022 were compared, which one would be everyone's favourite?

For me 2018 vs 2022, it's 2018, but probably influenced by missing a lot of the more unsettled part of 2018 in August and seeing a great thunderstorm in south west France end of the month, while for the August 2022 heatwave I also missed that completely. 2018 was ever so slightly warmer and sunnier than 2022 too.

Based on local stats, 2006 was about as warm as 2018, but 2018 still a little drier and sunnier. Summers 2006 and 2018 do seem to have quite a few similarites with both summers seeing a return to normality into August. 2022 was ever so slightly wetter and less sunnier than '06 and '18, but the same temperature wise.

• Like 1

Posted

Metwatch  In my opinion it’s whether you prefer a front or back ended summer. 2018 was more front loaded and 2022 more back loaded. Geographically, 2022 was truly exceptional for the east of England and nothing special for the northwest of Britain.

2018 had a very lengthy dry and sunny June and July. June was pleasant until the equinox and then fantastic until late July and the best part was mid to late July. August was average.

2022 was the other way round. It was a mixed June, quite pleasant and sunny but nothing special. July was exceptionally dry and featured THE heatwave but not quite as sunny. August was stunning throughout but best in the first half.

June 2018 >> June 2022

July 2018 > July 2022 (but close because of that heatwave)

August 2018 << August 2022

I’d say 2018 was slightly better in my area but the July 2022 heatwave was more interesting than anything in Summer 2018.

Edited by TheOgre
  • Thanks 1

Posted

I had a look on the anomaly maps to compare the 21st century classics and made a quick collage.

IMG_5706.jpeg

IMG_5707.jpeg

IMG_5708.jpeg

To answer the question 2006 vs 2018:

2018 seems to be the superior one for most.

Edited by TheOgre

Posted

Staying in the West of Scotland both these summers were good. I remember June 2006 the World Cup was hosted in Germany and each evening it was dry and sunny nearly throughout full tournament. July was a dry month with little rainfall and hot sunny days. Unfortunately August was a damp squib much cooler and also much wetter up here.

2018 had a fantastic May and June with June recording highest June temps ever at 32c.. Start of July also great but come final fortnight then into August it was quite wet and summer was long gone. 

A difficult one to choose from.. 2006 was more Thundery compared to 2018 which seen little of that weather here and was a drier summer. 2018 for me the better summer..

Posted

2006 was very July-centric; at its peak it was hotter than 2018 but the latter had much longer lasting warmth and sunshine. August was disappointing in both years though more so in 2006 (in 2018 it hung on till about the 6th or 7th); May and June are the real deciders. June 2006 had a decent first half but the second was disappointingly cooler and cloudier. May 2006 was atrocious save the first few days, there's no competition there. 2018 was largely dry, sunny and settled in both months (and the end of April). 

I do agree that 2006 was more thundery (it wasn't an exceptionally thundery year but 2018 was almost thunder-free). Also 2006 did have the better September. But I give it to 2018. 

• Like 1

Posted

I was still working full time in 2006, so didn't get to enjoy the sun and heat much in July of that year, but yes, it was hot and sunny that month. 2018 was much better from a personal point of view when I was able to enjoy the summer more.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

I'd say 2006 in the sense that June and July were consistently warm and sunny.

The first 20 days of June 2018 were rather cloudy here, and around average temps (no very warm days, IIRC) though they were very dry. Dryness, rather than warmth or sunshine, seemed to be the notable feature of June 2018.

It's interesting to note that 2006 appeared to be the sunniest of the two in the central southern England area according to the maps above, and that definitely accords with my own memories.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

June 2018 > June 2006

July 2018 = July 2006

August 2018 >> August 2006

August 2006 was dire

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Summer 2018 was probably the better one overall, although July 2006 was the best individual month of any of these summers.

For June I'd give 2006 a 8 out of 10.  It had a great 1st half (probably the best 1st half of June in my lifetime) though the 2nd half was still warm it was more changeable.  2018 I'd give a 7 out of 10.  It was actually non descript for the first 20 days, albeit exceptionally dry, with a few good days eg the 10th/11th before the very good last 10 days.

July 2006 would get a 10/10 for me, as it is the benchmark summer month for heat and storms.  Yes, the 6th to the 9th were a bit 'less great' but in the UK you expect that.  2018 gets a 9/10.. it was perfect for heat and sunshine but 1 point taken off for not much thunder (we did get a weak storm on the 13th)

August 2006 gets just a 3/10 as it was much more changeable but such a disappointment after July, and had no thunder, and it would have scored even lower had the 1st weekend not been very warm and sunny.  2018 however gets 6/10 as the heatwave lasted until about the 7th.  It was then still very 'pleasant' until about 21st but then the last 10 days were not great.

So 2006 scores 21/30 and 2018 22/30.  August I feel is the decider and 2018 had the much better one.

Also considering the extended summer may 2018 was far superior to May 2006, in fact no comparison really at all.  September is a funny one as 2006 was the warmest on record but wasn't always settled, 2018 IIRC was drier but not always warm (though never too cold) so the September's, maybe 2006 edges it for the warmth there was, but only just.

Edited by SummerShower

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Enjoy the weather, you can't take it with you 😎

2006 IMO was best here if you like heat and thunderstorms.  2018 was close 2nd, but all in all both summers at 12 years apart were both memorable summers, against the backdrop of many more non- memorable summers, before and since then...!☺

Posted

2018 brought 2 great May Holiday weekends which you would never expect up here in West of Scotland both had NE/E winds on the holiday Mondays which burnt back low cloud to give great days around the West Coast with the Late May holiday being the best one.. May then June that year were great with the June making record temps.. NW Scotland May to mid July brought some fantastic not only dry weather but extremely sunny and warm weather. Spoke to a guy who always toured the UK  (was from Birmingham) who hired a boat for NW Scotland during that time said it’s the first time ever he had 14 days of total dry and sunny weather something he never got elsewhere as it would rain at somepoint during his holiday in UK regardless of how Hot or sunny it was.