Cold?
IGNORED

Northwest Weather Discussion - Dec 2023 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Wind really gusting. 

• Like 4

Posted

Another dry one, although there was a few spits of rain Withington, Manchester yesterday.  Sun put in a late appearance but it didn't really take the edge off the cold.  Max of 7.5°C.  Still beautiful, better than cold wet.

• Like 4

Posted

I’ve enjoyed the weather this week.  First dry few days since last June, my running trails are finally not completely muddy.

Its felt like it’s meant to in very early spring.  Some pleasant sun, some early frost.  Still cold, but the definite promise of warmth to come.  Blossom, flowers, birds etc all responding to the strengthening sun and lengthening days.

Edited by Maz
  • Like 6

Posted

Morning, dry currently and there's a bit of wind, temp 4.8°C. (5.40)  looks like rain moving in later this am.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

I’ve taken a few days off here as the continuing crap weather pattern is depressing me but I thought I’d post today that this weekends current conditions and forecast is depressing me even more.

if a fence rattling easterly is your thing then today is heaven.

if cold raw temperatures, cloudy skies and the threat of rain does it for you then again, what a great prospect but for those like me who are just looking for lengthening daylight to turn up with its mate, warmer weather then it’s a kick in the teeth.

yes March can be a month of winter conditions and yes we have been somewhat spoilt over recent years with at least some warmer conditions mixed in but this pattern of the weather not taking any notice of the seasons and putting spoilers in wherever possible has been locked in since late June last year and is currently showing no signs of changing.

Even the dry and limited sunshine of the last few days have hardly been warm and to me that lack of anything remotely warm and pleasant feeling, apart from a couple of days for some in February has been the worst part of it.

I’ve had enough of yet another winter that refused to deliver but a spring that does the same is looking increasingly likely.

Rant over and back to looking for a hint of something better at 240 hours in the same way that the mad thread looks for a bit of frost and a flake of snow.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow

March Easterlies aren’t my favoured weather type just chilly, raw & very grey conditions with bits of drizzle in the breeze to start the weekend 🙃 ☁️ 

• Like 7

Posted

In fairness, I think our friends on the East coast have had it worse the past few days, and at least we have had a bit of sun to lessen the effects of the Easterly wind.

No such luck today and rain has just arrived as forecast to add to a gloomy morning.

Chris F was talking last night about the UK's only named wind - the 'Helm' or something - which apparently produced double-strength gale-force winds of 70mph+ on a Fell in the Lake District compared with a few miles away at a lower level. I thought we had the 'Foen' (misspelt?) as well, but maybe we've pinched that name from another country. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Bit of rain about today ,might pop out to Greenodd to see bluebird  later it’s being moved by a buddy of mine who owns Steels removals and haulage 

• Like 7

Posted

Chilly breezy (quite gusty overnight) drizzling hill fog…. Car finally sorted after being hit by milk van over mew years… dairy company really good and paid for repairs… 

Bathroom nearly there but pipework put in by bathroom fitter 7 years ago is proving a nightmare… hopefully sorted soon and dining room ceiling can be repainted next week 🤞🤞 after four separately sourced leaks in last three months 🙈🙈

booked to go back to saltburn by train week after next… will bus about to Whitby and along the coast… will be nice to get away from our building site of a home whatever the weather 🏖️ 🚂 

• Like 6

Posted

Feeling guilty staying indoors listening to the wind howling in the chimney.   Super dry weather for attacking work outdoors.   But strong E wind is horribly bleak.  No escape.  There is a saying up here that if you get an east wind for 3 days, you'll have it for 3 weeks.  Forecast charts don't seem to agree.   Wind expected to drop and come more from south by midweek?  

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

A Face like Thunder he is right about the Helm
its a wind that happens under specific weather conditions, mainly in the spring and heads down the western slopes of Cross Fell, the highest point of the Pennines towards the Eden valley and the general direction of Sedbergh.

apparently the helm is the name for the cloud bar that usually covers Cross fell at the same time  as the wind and although it’s a very local event and seldom causes the amount of damage that would make the news, it is capable of wind speeds in excess of 80 mph but a few miles down the valley it’s hardly a leaf rustler.

never witnessed it myself and my walks over Cross fell have always been in glorious conditions but it certainly an exposed place.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Scuba steve Bittersweet with this one. Good for more “tourism” in a now very overcrowded village but the whole saga got a bit messy. Looking back Bluebird should’ve been left at the bottom of the lake. 

Odd how we were drawn to Coniston  yesterday a place visited so many a happy time with my parents in the 70’s the first real Lakeland holidays igniting the passion. And then on to the adolescence misdemeanours of the Crown Inn.

Enough said…..

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All weather

Iceaxecrampon yes perhaps it should have been left as a memorial  a very messy saga that no doubt has lined the pockets of countless lawyers,on another note a family connection to the fateful event my uncle was there watching he was massively into racing motorcycles and was there as he was friends with Leo Villa 

• Like 6

Posted

Whilst a chilly easterly in March often brings cloudy skies and a raw feel, it does usually mean dry weather, and we are on our sixth dry day on the trot, and we've had some sunshine.  I prefer them to the dreaded SW flow which is on the cards again next week, equating to low cloud, drizzle or rain, and in March 10-12 degree maxes which never feel particularly mild.

March is a trying month for those who want a more definate spring feel and warmth. September is the other shoulder month. Frustrating for those wanting the first autumnal chill to arrive quick, feels a long summer hangover nowadays. 

Looking forward to the clocks going forward and proper arrival of spring. 

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too wet.

Big MTB ride from Macclesfield Forest out over to the Goyt Valley and back today. First half of the ride was very cold, dull, foggy and windy. Last hour or so the gloom cleared and it was pleasant enough, but that wind would cut you in two. Ground has dried out somewhat in many places, but others not so much, yet.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

iand61 we have similar conditions in Glossop that never get a mention when there's an Easterly

• Like 5

Posted

Had Worse same here.

I’ve lost fence panels in easterly winds on days where there’s been nothing but a light breeze a few miles down the valley to the west.

they don’t happen every year but are usually in the spring and it’s a constant wind rather than gusty so maybe a scaled back but similar set up to the Helm Wind.

It must be a common set up down the west facing Pennine upslopes.

• Like 6

Posted

A Face like Thunder foehn wind/effect is a universal impact of drying air descending lea slopes bringing higher temps, often sunshine and a gusty wind.

The helm wind (and associated cloud cap) is specific to a specific location and wind direction.  It is a highly specific foehn wind though.

• Like 6

Posted

Had Worse Funnelling of wind on downslopes cause similar less dramatic, similar impacts to Helm Wind.  Forecast says a light easterly breeze and cloudy.  Instead we get a very gusty wind and often the cloud breaks….this afternoon for example!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Scuba steve Interesting that Steve 👍🏻👏🏻

• Like 5

Posted

Not looking forward to next week’s drizzle and sporadic rainfest…. atm Tuesday looks sunny and ok… afterwards up in the air… but sw winds and drizzle looks a certainty now… 🙈🙈 high pressure and actual spring would be welcome… 

wonder if we’ll get a one/two day heatwave with 40c plus again this summer?? Then rainfest thereafter??? 

Edited by WillinGlossop
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes n snow

Came up early as Mum said rain was expected in Blackpool by early afternoon(she watches BBC).

Managed to get grass mown first time thisb year, bay tree cut back, garden bench out of garage and Danish oiled,  dried lovely in the afternoon sunshine....even managed to dry the back of the Golf out which seems to be creating a condensation lake due to lack of use.... yes, mum, stop watching the Beeb weather...

• Like 5

• April 2024 - Was it that cold overall? A look at the statistics

General perception from many is that April was a cold month, but statistics would suggest otherwise, with the average temperature for the whole month coming in just above the 30 year average for the UK as a whole. A warm first half to to the month averaged out the cold second half. View the full blog here

Nick F
    Nick F
    Latest weather updates from Netweather 2

Bank Holiday Offers Sunshine and Showers Before High Pressure Arrives Next Week

The Bank Holiday weekend offers a mix of sunshine and showers across the UK, not the complete washout some forecasting models were suggesting earlier this week. Next week, high pressure arrives on the scene, but only for a relatively brief stay. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather

Bank Holiday weekend weather - a mixed picture

It's a mixed picture for the upcoming Bank Holiday weekend. at times, sunshine and warmth with little wind. However, thicker cloud in the north will bring rain and showers. Also rain by Sunday for Cornwall. Read the full update here

Netweather forecasts
    Netweather forecasts
    Latest weather updates from Netweather