Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

SussexSnowman Ah ok thanks. I didn't rate September much, I don't rate any of those Septembers with about 10 days of hot and 20 days of unsettled. Consequently no fan of Sep 1981 or 1999 either for weather. Prefer sustained settled weather of the 1997, 2003 or 2009 sort, even if such months lack extreme warmth.

20 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

TBF the average max in February for London and much of southern England is around 9c

This is 1991-2020 though, which I prefer to ignore to be honest; this period had a disproportionately high occurrence of mild months and low occurrence of cold months compared to the long-term. Longer term, using pre-climate-change periods such as 1961-90, the mean was more like around 7-8C. So in late Feb, 7C is the highest figure which you can get away with applying "cold" to, IMO; 8 is average; 9 is slightly mild; 10 is mild; 11 is very mild, and 14+ is extremely mild.

I always think of 9C as the mean max for the very start of March.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Bright weather. Warm sunny thundery summers, short cold winters.

Rain All Night AFAIK yes, January was slightly wetter than average across England and Wales as was September, and those two were the only ones where the wetness could be disputed.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, dry and preferably hot. Snow is nice in the winter

Summer8906 Thing is, that 1991-2020 average IS what our climate is now for better or worse. 61-90 is totally unrepresentative of what our climate is in 2024 because what was average then could be considered below average now, ie around 7-8c. Especially looking at this period in recent years (2019-2024) which would have all been considered anomalously warm in the 80s, but this is just the norm now. Probably the average max for late Feb now is 10c!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

This is genuinely one of the worst forecasts I think I've ever seen. Rain daily (I know not guaranteed but because it's rain, the forecast will be correct) and the the cold spell which is literally just more of the same but with lower temps lol. 0c and rain? Sign me up, can't wait!

Good grief. This country's climate is honestly so dire it's unbelievable. If we don't get a dry and sunny Spring and/or Summer I will genuinely have to consider emigrating at some point because if this is what climate change has in store for us, I don't think I could hack it long term.

Screenshot_20240221-145145~2.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 6

Posted

raz.org.rain "Milder weather" while the February CET is sat 0.8C above the current record. We've already been in the milder weather for 5 weeks now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Let's play a game - "British sky or piece of paper". It's a real challenge, fun for all the family. 

Guessing correctly gets you a cookie.

images (4)~2.jpeg

PXL_20240221_161727924~2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Desperately need this colder air now, this vile mild crap has hung around far to long, fingers crossed this change in patterns lasts long into March, we need it!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

I can feel SAD really start to creep into me now, of course it didn’t help watching the met office 10 day trend of yet more low pressure and rain, can only hope this years weather is a little more fairer and balanced than last year and dryer! Oh to feel the warmth of sun on my face, wear flip flops and summer dresses again.

6668EF2E-6835-4673-BCF1-77AD78F8099F.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms

TwisterGirl81  I know the feeling, and I wouldn't say I usually suffer with SAD. I can't remember having a winter so grey and wet before, but maybe I just have a selective memory.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

snowdog i think last year was all over the place let’s be honest, as other posters have said it was a poor year where the stats were bumped up by some stellar months amongst many poor dull ones. let’s hope the better weather is here soon 🙂

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Usually though when it's cold it's sunny a lot of the time, unusual to have it mild and sunny. Been a long cloudy winter as a lot of you guys and gals have said. Roll on spring and the long days and hopefully some sun.

• Like 6

Posted

These idiotic warnings for a bit of wind and rain (it's raining I know, but it ain't exactly the biblical deluge), really get on my nerves.

image.thumb.png.020be0247c252899006359500d25a195.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

In Absence of True Seasons like the celebs who say they will emigrate if X, Y or Z wins the election..but it never happens 

Posted

Every day here since 3rd February has reached double figures; the lowest maximum all month has been 8.0C on the 1st. And the ten-dayer is just more of the same. What an unspeakably bad February and yet another complete fail of a winter, a diarrhoeal discharge straight from the devil's behind. How much more of this crap am I expected to take?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

AderynCoch Couldn't have said it any better. Definitely the worst winter month I've ever experienced, next to December 2015. I know it isn't ideal but I hope we see a cold, frosty and sunny March-April to compensate for the absolute dismal conditions we've been facing. This winter has been beyond depressing I've sort of lost hope for the upcoming one.

• Like 4

Posted

Just a quick thing on this whole mild vs. cold debate.

I'm not a mild fan during peak winter but as we get into mid or late February I'll take either cold sufficient for snow or early warmth, same for early March, and by mid to late March I'm looking for warmth only. So I can see it from both sides.

I think whatever your view on temperature, the one thing that is totally uncontroversial both statistically and in terms of feel, is that there has been a distinct lack of any sustained dry weather. That is really what people are complaining about.

In terms of this February spell, obviously if you're a cold fan right up to the end of winter or just in general, it's diabolical. But from a mild perspective, it's not that great either, as there have only been two or three properly spring-like days that have been largely dry, sunny and with temperatures approaching 14-15C at my location (and in other places, probably fewer).

Essentially, it's about usability. A 12C day but raining sideways with a 20-30mph wind is significantly worse than a 7-8C day which is largely dry and still. So although it has statistically been a very mild month and you would think possibly good for fans of mild weather, especially in the second half, it really hasn't felt as good due to the constant nagging breeze. Until things warm up a bit more, any spring-like feel is dependent on not having wind or rain, because as soon as the sun goes in, it feels cold - we're in February after all.

I'd rather have had temperatures a degree or two cooler but with less of the wind and rain (or alternatively, a proper cold spell with some snow at some point in the month). The reason a lot of people are already looking to March is because this pattern in February is almost a bit wasted. It's never really going to be warm enough to feel nice for outdoor activities, whereas the same pattern 3-4 weeks later might have brought temperatures of 20C or so.

And over the next week, I really don't think the weather is going to satisfy anyone. Very cloudy and wet, which doesn't help with light levels for the SAD sufferers. Colder than of late, which doesn't satisfy the mild fans. Not cold enough for widespread snow, which doesn't satisfy the cold fans, unless you happen to live in the north of Scotland or halfway up a mountain somewhere maybe. In short, I expect this thread to be very busy for a while until we see a pattern change!

• Like 3