Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Cloud breaking up quite nicely this afternoon, giving around hour of sunshine, but looks to be clouding over again. Did see one of the best sunrises of the year so far earlier this morning though.

GHU6ef7WUAAwNAQ.thumb.jpg.b8c7938ac4a53790f2a181b949a01753.jpg

Not a great end to an overall poor winter in the coming days with further rain, although Friday first day of meteorological spring it might clear enough to bring some something sunnier but still showery and chilly. Hoping for something drier and milder with more sunshine heading through March. Some signs of that appearing in the models, but too far out to take much notice at the moment.

image.thumb.png.5df9394d6b37322828d80292d547d223.png

Edited by Metwatch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and Snowy Days

Amazingly it is dry down here and a light brighter. Sun still being kept behind clouds, but this is a much needed relief and break from the absolute garbage we have had recently. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Nice day today, lots of hazy sunshine. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
15 hours ago, raz.org.rain said:

found this a while ago 

I’d say more like:

SW England - Very mild winters, warm summers

SE England - Mild winters, hot summers

NW England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Western Scotland  - Mildish winters and coolish summers

NE England and Eastern Scotland - Chilly winters and cool summers

In terms of annual temperature and rainfall:

SW England - Warm and wet

SE England - Warm and dry

NW England, Wales, Western Scotland and Northern Ireland - Mild and wet

NE England and Eastern Scotland - Cool and dry

I like SW Englands climate best. Plenty of warm, sunny days in summer, very mild (although rainy) winters without the extreme heat the SE gets.

15 hours ago, danm said:

London’s July average maxima is 23.9c (25c over the last 10 years). Seattle’s is 25.2c. Yes, Seattle is sunnier in Summer than London, and a little drier. But they don’t get 2022 style Summers most years, if they did their averages would be better. London’s July average daytime temperature in July 2022 was 27.2c.

I really wouldn’t say London’s default Summers are cool, wet and cloudy. Our Summers are mixed - some are cool and wet, others are warm and dry and most Summers have a combination of the two. 

Yes with an average high of 24C in July and August and only 600 mm of rain a year, I definitely wouldn’t describe Londons summers as cool and wet… More like hot and dry!

Imo a place would have to have an average high of below 20°C in the warmest month and annual rainfall of at least 1000 mm for me to consider it as having a cool and wet summer. 

I know I’m probably biased living in a much cooler and wetter part of the country. But compared to most of the rest of the country, Londons summers are very warm, dry and sunny.

One thing I find strange is that most of the people who post regularly in the moans thread are from the warmer, drier and sunnier parts of the country - a lot of people from the south east and central south of England… Not many people from Wales, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland, Scotland, Cumbria etc.

If I lived in the South I don’t think I’d moan about the weather half as much! 😆

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

W England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Western Scotland  - Mildish winters and coolish summers

I might be young or it might be a Cheshire gap microclimate again, but I wouldn't say summers are all that cool in this part of the north west. We quite frequently get notably warm spells.

Posted
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

We’ve never been a ‘cold’ country and there’s always been the need to deal with heat!

Yes, since when has the UK ever been a cold country?! 🤷‍♂️

Posted

MP-R that's part of the point. You'll often hear people claim that our climate is "cold" because it's not as consistently hot as somewhere like Texas. It's mild by definition but you'll still find people claiming that the default for our summers is cool and wet weather, even though that's rarely been the case and certainly not the case now.

Posted
12 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes with an average high of 24C in July and August and only 600 mm of rain a year, I definitely wouldn’t describe Londons summers as cool and wet… More like hot and dry!

I personally wouldn't class our weather in Summer down here as hot and dry on average. It depends what you define as "hot" I suppose. To me, hot is when temperatures get into the high 20's. So yes, we do have hot weather, but our average is simply warm. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

raz.org.rain UK Summers were definitely on a cool and wet default setting when i was growing up..somewhere after 1988 that setting began to change 

Posted

Don  raz.org.rain

I’d say our climate is cool or chilly rather than cold. We don’t get the frigid winters a lot of other countries on our latitude get, but our summers are very cool by global standards, and our springs and autumn’s are quite cool as well. So I’d say the UK is generally chilly/cool and damp year round

• Like 3

Posted

raz.org.rain The Article says “Heatwaves are deadly extreme weather events that will grow worse for at least the next 30 years.“

Bit of an over reaction don’t you think?

danm Yes, London and the SE definitely the most continental part of the country, while western coasts, Northern Ireland and the outer Hebrides are the most maritime. Cool wet summers and mild stormy winters.

It’s been a cold and overcast and rainy/drizzly day here but now just as it’s gone dark the sky has cleared… Before more again rain tommorow.. Typical! Why can’t we get the cloud and rain at night for a change?

4E38B633-F873-4BE0-8447-C92924CEF20E.png

ED31D927-C7E3-4328-8BCE-CA3920353EAD.png

• Like 1

Posted

Will this abysmal winter ever end? the sooner we get warmth and sunshine, the better.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

raz.org.rain Ah ok I hear you! It reminds me of the times my cousins from Brazil complain how dry the air is here… it blew their mind when I said the humidity is similar to where they live, just at a lower temperature 😅

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

A better day in west London with some sunny spells and much lighter winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

East Lancs Rain The south east's weather is overhyped. Horsham has the same mean annual rainfall as Manchester. The last few years we have been plagued with locked in weather patterns bringing either prolonged heat and drought or weeks of cloud and rain. At least with northern England, Wales and Scotland there are superb ranges of hills/mountains for hiking during periods of settled weather, SE England can't manage any ground much above 300 meters.

• Like 1

Posted

East Lancs Rain if I remember right, we're another few years away from having parts of the country officially qualify as Mediterranean-type classifications as per Köppen Geiger. I can't imagine we could be described as a cool country for much longer. Contrary to popular belief I believe we could easily develop a much warmer and drier climate over the next few decades.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

East Lancs Rain No it is not an overreaction. Heatwaves are deadly and extreme events that can kill a lot of people, and in a warming climate it is logical that they will get worse and/or more frequent. Even in the benign UK they can cause a lot of excess deaths largely because buildings are not designed for being comfortable in heat and the general health of the UK population is awful.

WWW.ONS.GOV.UK

Joint analytical article between the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) on deaths during heat-periods in 2022.

WWW.WHO.INT

EDITION.CNN.COM

Nearly 62,000 people died heat-related deaths last year during Europe’s hottest summer on record, a new study has found — more heartbreaking evidence that heat is a silent killer, and its victims are vastly...

Posted

al78 I think a few thousand deaths were recorded as being caused by excessive heat during the 2022 heatwaves. And then there's the infamous case of the 2003 heatwave in France that caused up to 20,000 deaths.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

East Lancs Rain

London's summers cannot be classified as "hot and dry" by any measure. Athens' summer climate is hot and dry, as is Valencia, Rome, and Valetta's climate. Yes, London is comparatively warmer and drier on average in the summer than Cumbria is, obviously, but that doesn't make it a great location for lovers of summery weather conditions, because we are using Cumbria as the benchmark / point of comparison here, wherein the bar is incredibly low lol. 

Ultimately we are comparing slightly mouldy bread with very mouldy bread here haha. Yes, as a Londoner, my slightly mouldy SE bread is more tolerable than your very mouldy Cumbrian bread, but it's still the pits when compared to the average bread quality on the world stage. 

My analogy meaning, the UK as a whole is pretty for anyone who likes reliable, seasonal weather, and plenty of dry, sunny and warm weather from April to September.

We have been a bit spoiled in London recently with years like 2018 and 2022 giving the slightly skewed idea of what a "typical" London summer looks like...which is unequivocally *not* those types of years. But people are starting to expect it more, that most years should be like a 2018/2022...myself included in this, admittedly! It requires a 2023 summer to pull you back down to reality and realise that this is Britain after all. A 2019, 2021 or a 2020 is much more typical on the whole - a mixed bag of conditions, basically, and at the heart of it - quite capricious!

image.png

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

The south east's weather is overhyped. Horsham has the same mean annual rainfall as Manchester. The last few years we have been plagued with locked in weather patterns bringing either prolonged heat and drought or weeks of cloud and rain. At least with northern England, Wales and Scotland there are superb ranges of hills/mountains for hiking during periods of settled weather, SE England can't manage any ground much above 300 meters.

What is Horsham’s annual average rainfall? London’s is 615mm. Can’t imagine Horsham’s being too different. Manchester gets 823mm per year, a third more than London. 

Manchester’s peak Summer average maxima is 20.6c. London’s is 23.9c. 3 degrees is a fairly big difference on average. 

Manchester has 143 precipitation days per year on average, London gets 111. 

Manchester gets 1,416 hours of sunshine per year, London 1,674. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

A 2019, 2021 or a 2020 is much more typical on the whole

…and 2019 and 2020 had its fair share of excellent Summer weather. 2021 was poor barring about a week or so.

Edited by danm
  • Like 1