Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted

The last thing we need is a Scandi high bringing cloud from the North Sea and 8C here in the east. We've had enough cloud to last the entire Spring already!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
3 hours ago, CryoraptorA303 said:

Perhaps we can still get an April 2009 out of this? That is more or less my perfect April

Quite funny because this month stands out to me as at the end of the month we took a family holiday down to Cornwall in which I can only describe as the worst holiday weather I’ve ever had. I think we arrived on the 27th. From memory the drive was just non-stop grey and depressing. By the time we arrived in the area (Hayle) the sky was very dark and the rain was torrential. Every day had menacing skies and many nights were kept awake by the rain lashing against the caravan roof. I think I remember reading there was some local flooding at that time but I’m not sure. It was literally the worst place in the country to be as it was exceptionally wet there. 

If the weather wasn’t bad enough then it was compacted by the fact a family member passed away during the holiday and it was cancelled and we went back home on the 30th.

image.thumb.png.a30f457b474a347b09a9655338eb6fda.png

one of the few times a childhood holiday was ever ruined by bad weather actually as most were very nice, even in relatively poor months!

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal (but not excessive heat); love cold winters!

*Stormforce~beka* would you believe that an ice cream van has just gone by outside...optimistic, I'd suggest! Been tough since mid summer for those guys I guess, apart from that September intense heat. 

Edited by SollyOlly
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

reef Either way, it's a change and any change is good at this point.

Even if it's cloudy and a bit chilly in the east, a Scandi high would be very unlikely to lead to notable rainfall for the period.

8°C also seems a bit pessimistic, at this time of year the kind of airflow we're talking about would be more low-mid teens probably, especially as the oceans are warm etc., and the west can probably expect high teens or low-20s in the April sun.

14 minutes ago, LetItSnow! said:

Quite funny because this month stands out to me as at the end of the month we took a family holiday down to Cornwall in which I can only describe as the worst holiday weather I’ve ever had. I think we arrived on the 27th. From memory the drive was just non-stop grey and depressing. By the time we arrived in the area (Hayle) the sky was very dark and the rain was torrential. Every day had menacing skies and many nights were kept awake by the rain lashing against the caravan roof. I think I remember reading there was some local flooding at that time but I’m not sure. It was literally the worst place in the country to be as it was exceptionally wet there. 

If the weather wasn’t bad enough then it was compacted by the fact a family member passed away during the holiday and it was cancelled and we went back home on the 30th.

Wow, what a terrible experience. I mostly remember April (and spring in general although I was only six at the time so memory is a bit hazy) as being sunny and pleasant without any notable stormy weather. My hay fever was bad that year as well and I had an asthmatic episode due to the amount of pollen, although I'd say 2010 was even worse with the May heatwave inducing fulminant pollen release.

My holiday in Cornwall in August 2015 was surprisingly not that bad, it was only on one day that the weather was truly terrible. In August 2011 we left our holiday in Devon early as the weather got worse (right around the time that storm passed through) and we were moving to Kent the next week (🤢) but until then the weather had been quite pleasant actually.

July 2021 was the best though, we went right in the week where the SW was having the best weather and it got to the mid-20s every day we were there. Aside from a shower on the day we got there it didn't rain once.

SollyOlly We've had the ice cream van coming over all winter! They must be really struggling.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

Josh Rubio yep, 18c in the sunshine today has felt very pleasant. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 3

Posted

Josh Rubio Not today. I washed my hair and had a shower so think that froze me

SollyOlly The girls had one last month 😂 

Edited by *Stormforce~beka*
  • Like 1

Posted

Usual April puts ‘n’ calls coming I feel. Bit of everything for everyone at one time or another some Increasing warmth and sun, followed but some big temp drops and likely some further unsettled conditions at time. 

Two more weeks for me and I’m out the country for 14 of the next 19wks so not overly concerned by the depressing conditions.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.
57 minutes ago, Alderc 2.0 said:

Two more weeks for me and I’m out the country for 14 of the next 19wks so not overly concerned by the depressing conditions.

Nice though I guess you're missing the period most likely to have settled weather!

I suspect second half of April won't be too bad, an emphasis on dry by the looks of things but maybe with some cold showery interludes.

I'm probably going away early July for a couple of months so will likely avoid whatever July and August throws at us this year. Hoping for payback for the appalling conditions of the past 9 months via a spectacularly dry and sunny autumn, though.

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm-by-day sunny thundery summers , short cold snowy winters.

This rain belt looks a lot more discontinuous than the pressure chart suggests. Was expecting a good 6 to 8 hours of continuous heavy rain, certainly until well after midnight, with it only stopping with the wind veer to the NW. Yet currently there seems to be a lull with even a small area of clear sky visible to the west.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

Summer8906  yes, but its pot luck on how settled it’ll be here…..although i will be for most of July. 

Also im hoping it’s not all that settled for my first stop as im in Plano, Texas - Hoping to get some Enhanced / Moderate days out of that month at least 😁

• Like 1

Posted

Alderc 2.0 Indeed, rather like I actively wish for thundery weather when I go to Greece. When it happens, it's spectacular and much better than most of our attempts at storms.

August 2022 (which I spent there) was amongst the most thundery months of my life (July 2013 in the Pyrenees perhaps being the other).

Edited by Summer8906
  • Like 1

Posted

LetItSnow! I read your description and wondered what month it was, expecting one of the "classics" so was somewhat surprised that it was April 2009.

Nonetheless I think I remember the synoptics during that period. The month was mostly warm and sunny (but a bit changeable round Easter, on the 11th/12th or so), then a cool NW-ly airmass with occasional showers but still fairly bright spread across for the final days of the month.

But I do remember, within this cool airmass, a cut-off low with quite tight isobars being stuck just to the SW of the UK and this presumably affected Cornwall.

Edited by Summer8906

Posted

At least this summer I’m going to Spain for a bit. Last summer I couldn’t escape the July of nightmares 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

Unfortunately I don't think I have the money to go abroad this year. I might go up to Edinburgh for a weekend in summer if it's getting really hot down here.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

8 days into April and we are at 21.4mm of rainfall and 22 sun hours so far. Absolutely dreadful.

At least this year the temperature actually feels like spring, and isn't completely chilly when in a slight breeze (like April 2023).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

B87 yeah last spring was just awful for warmth in these parts, constantly felt like it was dominated by a chilly easterly or northerly breeze. At least this spring has a mild feel, just sucks it's so persistently wet and cloudy.

• Like 2

Posted

CryoraptorA303 I would recommend Yorkshire, but we somehow achieved 39C in 2022, so probably not a guarantee.

From your location, surely for a shorter trip you'd be better off going somewhere like Devon or Cornwall, taking advantage of the coastal breeze if you don't want extreme heatwaves?

We know that there'll probably be at least one or two reasonably notable heatwaves between May and September, the question is just when they'll be really.

Posted

Woken up and again it’s blowing an absolute hoolie out there. At least pressure will build in a bit for a few days later this week, still looks cloudy most of the time though. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Returned to the woeful pattern today. Dark as sin, unpleasantly chilly, and breezy. 

Rest of the week looks better, thankfully. Though still rather dull.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Gales, frost, fog & snow

Outlook for my area looks more of the same, albeit drier at least.  Grey, dull, gloomy, did I say grey?

Need HP more towards the East/South East for clearer, sunnier and warmer skies here.  The ridge forecast for the reliable outlook will just be drawing up more moist, cloudy air from the SW’rly quadrant.

These brief northerlies/NW’erly’s should provide sunnier skies though.  We are sheltered down here from winds from that direction & with a strengthening sun, any chill will be void really.  Should be quite nice, but brief for those odd days.

• Like 3