Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

AWD Yes, but you (should) also get some days around 18c and even above it, too. in my area, this is even more true.

In London, I expect mid to high teens pretty regularly by the end of April. As it stands, we are heading into May struggling to even get into double digits, and with constantly dark, overcast and drizzly skies to boot. Truly grim. This would be well-suited to mid February, or late November, not nearly halfway through the year. 

This Spring is honestly probably going to be worse than last year's at this rate, and that's honestly an impressive feat considering how dire Spring 2023 was (especially in the East as we fully missed out on the good 2+ weeks of sunny, warm weather folk elsewhere got in May, as we were stuck under continual N.Sea cloud and cold breeze). 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny

In Absence of True Seasons it’s cold everywhere at the moment:

IMG_2350.thumb.png.3f89c813d80be934a8954108803ccf67.png

Barring the last week or so, this Spring has definitely been warmer than last year but it’s been equally wet or even wetter. 

I place part of the blame for last year and this year down to two late season SSW’s, which enhance what is an already strong seasonal likelihood of northern blocking. The Uk as a result becomes a trough magnet, with higher pressure at northern latitudes stopping our traditional pattern of low pressure to the NW and high pressure to the SE from setting up. Even without a SSW, northern blocking is common at this time of year, but I think the SSW has locked this pattern in far longer than it otherwise would, just as it did last year. 

Edited by danm
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Sun's come out in last 30 mins, only 10c but feels pleasant enough in the sun. Just giving our outsde sidegate a final paint, so weather is v useable👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

In Absence of True Seasons The average high in London at the end of April is 17c, and we aren't getting near that in the next week at least.

For all the talk of this April being warm, we will probably end up with below average high temps. It's only above average by the mean because the nights have been mild due to the incessant cloudiness. We will end up duller than the average March.

• Like 3

Posted

CryoraptorA303 there were less than 70mm of rain between April and June, Heathrow. That's enough to cause a brown off. In the height of summer it only takes about 4 weeks with no rain to cause this to happen. It starts to happen with SMD of more than 75mm. In those conditions in 2015, SMDs would have exceeded 100mm probably by the end of May, 2 dry months on the bounce. Once the soil is dry further down, it takes usually over an inch of rain, at least, to begin to revive the roots and produce new growth. 

Bristawl Si I hope we get to see some photos of your recent handywork 😁

Posted

Just walked the dog in thermals and my huge winter coat and bobble hat. The wind is absolutely raw.

Just in the process of booking the second of two holidays abroad this summer (Spain in June and south of France in august). I’m not letting the god awful climate of this place ruin my mental and physical health for 2 years running

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Azazel I guess I picked the wrong month to go bare legged in My Kilts......a tad raw & windy around me trossachs I can tell You!!!

I've normally had a least 1 hammock day by now, sometimes in March, but not a bloody chance this Year so far!

Luckily I found a 'accidental bar stool' for my 'accidental Bar' so I can pop out and make use of the sunny ten mins we get allotted from time to time!!!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy winters, mild/warm summers and varied shoulder seasons

Fine and partly sunny day here but it’s freaky cold for this time of year. This is why I hate a late season SSW. They always end up bringing northern blocking which is the deathknell for spring warmth as they tend to result in northerlies 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Azazel Bloody hell I would be absolutely melting in that attire in this weather. It's chilly but no more than a light jumper required for me.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in winter,warm sun in summer!!!!

Another gorgeous day here , off out to Glasgows west end for a few refreshments in a beer garden 😎🍺

• Thanks 1

Posted

Myself and my partner went away for a week during Christmas to an absolutely stunning lodge in the Devon countryside, with log burner, hot tub, lovely garden, fire pit etc etc. It was a split decision between Tenerife and Devon. I wanted to go to Tenerife and partner wanted to go to Devon (we had only been to Tenerife in November last year) so we chose Devon, hoping for some seasonal weather, with frost and some sunshine. However, it rained relentlessly from December 22nd right through to boxing day without a break, absolutely dreadful weather. Non stop driving rain with 2 spells of very strong winds. It dried up briefly boxing day afternoon before another named storm arrived Wednesday 27th with gale force winds and driving rain again right through until 29th December when we were leaving. Whilst it was a nice stay, the weather really did put such a downer on the week, it was truly miserable. Didnt get to use the firepit or look at the stars the entire time and due to the wind the hot tub was just generally unpleasant. The owners of the air BnB felt sorry for having such rotten luck and have us a discount when we book again. 

So we have booked from Friday may 3rd until Monday 6th May, at the time expecting a vast improvement on the absolute garbage over Christmas but looking at the charts during next weekend, it's once again truly looking absolutely miserable. More wet, windy and cold weather. Its truly depressing and I actually launched my phone across the room this morning after that shocking crap the 6z pumped out. I'm just so fed up and angry, spending money to go away with such terrible weather. Just praying that things change for next weekend, even if it was just dry and not particularly warm. Just cannot deal with another weekend away in such a beautiful part of the country, unable to use the facilities of our hideaway cabin. Was really hoping for a nice break away, its been so stressful lately but another few weeks of this I genuinely don't know how im going to get through it. Its so depressing and sucking the life and soul out of any ounce of enthusiasm I have for life anymore.

I will never book a break away in the UK again that's for sure.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Nick L it’s the wind! When the wind stops it’s absolutely fine (if I stand at a certain angle in my back garden behind a wall it almost feels like it could be spring)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The wind is definitely vile. Way too cold. The sun actually has a fair bit of strength now, when it’s out it does feel lovely out of the foul wind, but there’s not enough sunshine, unfortunately. 
Currently a rather pathetic 10°C in west London and grey. 

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, B87 said:

The average high in London at the end of April is 17c, and we aren't getting near that in the next week at least.

For all the talk of this April being warm, we will probably end up with below average high temps. It's only above average by the mean because the nights have been mild due to the incessant cloudiness. We will end up duller than the average March.

Not sure you are correct with this. The average max temperature at Heathrow for the first 23 days of April 2024 is 15.2c against an average for the month of 15c. It's been chilly recently, but I reckon we could get into the high teens again next week. 

Here are the maxes so far in London this month. It's been dull and wet at times, but apart from the last week, it hasn't been cold:

Screenshot2024-04-24at16_15_59.thumb.png.4e05fba1808b649f5412156771c44c87.png

Edited by danm
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

In Absence of True Seasons Spring is the time of year that the west generally does have it better than the east coast. We are on the receiving end of the easterlies that are so common from April-June. The April-June period is the time of year you can generally bet on the west coast having a high percentage of days better than the east and is also the time that western England, Wales and Scotland have the most daily maxima.

• Like 2

Posted
Just now, CryoraptorA303 said:

Spring is the time of year that the west generally does have it better than the east coast. We are on the receiving end of the easterlies that are so common from April-June. The April-June period is the time of year you can generally bet on the west coast having a high percentage of days better than the east and is also the time that western England, Wales and Scotland have the most daily maxima.

You're right. It's no coincidence that the NW has their driest, sunniest weather between April and June, just ask @damianslaw.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters, warm, early spring, cool, gentle summer, stormy autumn

danm Agreed, I don't think daytime temps have been low as the Sun has been coming out almost every day for at least some time. The sunshine stats are as low as they are because of the insanely dull first week or so, without that they'd be below average but not to this level. A below average warmest day for sure (which is 23.4°C for Heathrow between 2003-2023), but not by much and falls well short of the lowest maximum of the period, which is 17.3°C in 2021. Temperature-wise, this is the kind of April expected of a backended post-Nino spring really, especially a Super, there's nothing that unusual about it. April 2016 was substantially cooler than this and was also wetter than average. The dullness and wetness, especially up north is the more notable feature imo.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Another frustrating thing about our climate is that whilst I would like to see some more cold records being broken, they seem to happen mostly during spring or summer as opposed to autumn or winter which is when we want it. And when autumn and winter do arrive, it's warm records that are being broken.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I would like to see some more cold records being broken, they seem to happen during spring or summer

Which ones in recent history?

Posted

Posted

danm The forecast has plenty of days below 15c, which will help to drop that average though.

Posted

CryoraptorA303 April 2016 was also far sunnier than this month with 185 hours at Heathrow vs a probable <120 hours for 2024.