Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

I recorded 304 hours of sunshine in May 2020. That's very close to what I have recorded so far this year.

• Like 2
  • Insightful 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

CryoraptorA303 The absolute maximum recordable sunshine in London in July with no horizon obstruction is about 445 hours. Any obstruction at all and that number will be lowered.

• Insightful 1

Posted

Mapantz As of today, we have just equalled our March total after 24 days of April, which takes our annual total to 334 hours. May 2020 alone saw 330.

danm They do, but only on the maps. They should have the actual values available without having to FoI request them.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Storms, Wind, Sunny, Warm, Thunderstorms, Snow

B87 that figure would get your sunshine stats back on the right track 😂 though to not see a wisp of cloud somewhere in this country for a whole month would take a small miracle though I’m surprised it hasn’t happened or that the sunshine monthly record has stood for over a century, crazy, must be one of the oldest records yet to fall? I thought this country was slowly meant to be getting sunnier 

Edited by TwisterGirl81
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

In other news; I have three hedgehogs in my garden right now. One large, two small.. ish.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: BWh

Random and unrelated fact, but temperatures often drop to near freezing in the middle of the desert at night.

Posted

raz.org.rain Not in summer though. Most deserts will still be 25-30c overnight. They can often get frost in winter.

Las Vegas has a record low of -13c, which is the same as Heathrow.

Albuquerque has colder average minimums that London from October until early April, (including an average January low of -3.1c which is colder than any part of the UK) and a record low of -27c.

On the other hand, some desert climates are always warm, eg Djibouti has an average low of 21c in January and 31c in July.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
55 minutes ago, B87 said:

They do, but only on the maps. They should have the actual values available without having to FoI request them.

They really should release the actual figures. The raw numbers that are displayed on their own website plus others like meteociel and weather online are wrong and misleading. Still don’t understand why they don’t, considering they show the actual ranges on the anomaly maps. 

Edited by danm
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny, cosy and stormy, cold and frosty, some snow

B87 looks like a big problem is even the months with surplus sun also had surplus rainfall, and the big 2 (July and August) were both low on sun and high on rain. There’s been no real respite even in the supposedly better months we had. And yeah this year is somehow worse so far because we haven’t even had February to help (completely misplaced dry month anyway)!

I’m usually such an optimist so seeing that backs up my currently opposing sentiments hahaha

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

sunny_vale My optimism for the year was extinguished once we got another late season SSW. Those things are the deathknell for Spring & guarantee endless gloom. To think people were saying, "oh it won't be that bad this time!" or "we could be on the good side of the SSW!" well guys, it was even worse than last years SSW lol. Hope this isn't gonna be an every year thing now otherwise Spring is a thing of the past! I'm normally fairly optimistic & I was back in January but yeah, this is the worst period of weather I've ever lived through, can't lie!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Posted

danm I've saved a screenshot shot of B87's calculation table for future reference. Very useful. I'm thinking a lot of the ongoing discussions about sunshine over the years, may have been unintentionally misleading and pessimistic because of this discrepancy. I'd say this topic needs bringing to the forefront from time to time, to remind people of the adjustments, and to check their sources of information for raw or adjusted data, where that is possible. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

richie3846 As I said in the sunshine thread, that calculation won't work for Brize Norton or other stations. Every station, annoyingly has their own percentage of under-reporting.

Some of the absolute worst stations for recording sunshine way under- Herstmonceux, Wakefield, Almondbury etc

Poor under reporting of sunshine- Heathrow, Charlwood etc

A touch under actual value- Shoeburyness, Leconfield etc

Close to normal- Manston, Brize Norton, Tibenham etc

Posted

So anything mild now appears to have been pushed back until early next week at best.

5/6c overnight isn't a problem but when it only rises to 7/8c during the day it feels just as cold.

On a different note, just watched the met-office online forecast (for the first time) and apparently -3 in England in late April is 'nothing unusual'.

• Insightful 1

Posted
41 minutes ago, richie3846 said:

I've saved a screenshot shot of B87's calculation table for future reference. Very useful. I'm thinking a lot of the ongoing discussions about sunshine over the years, may have been unintentionally misleading and pessimistic because of this discrepancy. I'd say this topic needs bringing to the forefront from time to time, to remind people of the adjustments, and to check their sources of information for raw or adjusted data, where that is possible. 

Yes exactly, I just don’t understand why the Met Office only publish the raw figures but not the corrected ones. Without that calculation you can never really know the exact actual sunshine hours for a particular location, unless you look at the anomaly maps which give a percentage range. 

• Like 1

Posted

Walked out with Sophie and she was excited. Look mummy pure blue sky. That's how rare it is here ... Even my child notices!

• Like 2

Posted

Well a proper sunny morning! Shame it won’t last though…

IMG_2351.thumb.jpeg.a916c198465385667fc5bf5e7e4b02e0.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold Snowy Winters, Hot Thundery Summers

danm Meanwhile here it is drizzly and only 6C 🤢

Posted

Derecho I'm sure that's coming our way. Forecast is for some rain later.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

B87 why do raw sunshine values need to be corrected?

Edited by Stabilo19