Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Moans, ramps and banter

Message added by Paul,

Please keep in mind that this thread is not intended for complaining about or criticising other members. Let's maintain a respectful environment for everyone.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

2 / 3 hours of sun this morning and now in comes the cloud, like clockwork. No doubt it'll all clear again this evening after dinner-tine lol.

We genuinely need the starts to align in this country to get an actually sunny, or even mostly sunny day. Utterly infuriating.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Stabilo19 Because the new sunshine sensor under reports, so cant be compared to old data, or other locations in the UK or Europe.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
7 minutes ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

2 / 3 hours of sun this morning and now in comes the cloud, like clockwork. No doubt it'll all clear again this evening after dinner-tine lol.

We genuinely need the starts to align in this country to get an actually sunny, or even mostly sunny day. Utterly infuriating.

...we just need higher pressure. Things like infill, or clouding over, or afternoon showers will keep happening whilst we have relatively low pressure in charge. We need a solid high at or above 1025-1030mb. We haven't had that for any length of time since early January. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot & Sunny, Cold & Snowy

Turned My hand to painting (Johhny Nice Painter-esque?).....just about sums it up around these parts....I call it "April Showers"...

April shower.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

danm I'm aware. HP. just seems to be impossible to obtain. We get it for 1-2 days max then back to the constant lows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

SunSean what a crazy situation. There's me thinking the table of calculations would cover all. So basically there's no point comparing any data at all, and we only really have the met office climate summary maps, to help us figure out the realistic picture. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

richie3846 Yeah its a tough one. I've done my best with my sunshine tables to factor in any notable adjustments (Heathrow/Charlwood) but making them a touch lower than necessary so that I don't have to adjust small under estimating like from places like Shoeburyness, Odiham etc (otherwise I'd have to adjust all 60 stations which would take forever lol) & so I've got as accurate as a comparison between stations as I can get. It may not be absolutely 100% accurate but gives you a rough guide at what places are doing better than others so I hope it helps some people at least!

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

danm I think even more so we need warmer upper air. Pressure was around 1025-1030mb over the weekend but central England eastwards saw a lot of infill after clear starts. Brilliant sunshine here in the West Country though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

MP-R the high was centred over western Ireland so here in the east and over much of mainland UK in fact, we were on the eastern edge of the high, where pressure was lower. Not to mention an onshore breeze off the North Sea. You can have cold upper air temperatures too and brilliant sunshine, so long as pressure is high enough to kill off cloud formation and also not having an onshore breeze dragging in low cloud. 

• Like 2

Posted

In Absence of True Seasons Looks like we are getting a repeat of last year's weather but worse than last year's. What decent weather there will be, it's going to be in the west and we here in the east will get cold cloudy weather for the foreseeable. There are zero signs it's gonna change in May. People insisting something's gotta give, well it ain't this rubbish weather, apparently 🙂

Edited by SunnyG
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, danm said:

the high was centred over western Ireland so here in the east and over much of mainland UK in fact, we were on the eastern edge of the high, where pressure was lower. Not to mention an onshore breeze off the North Sea. You can have cold upper air temperatures too and brilliant sunshine, so long as pressure is high enough to kill off cloud formation and also not having an onshore breeze dragging in low cloud. 

Adding to this, our issue is also being surrounded on water on all sides. The only way to get crystal clear blue skies in this county is if a high is slap bang over us with 1025-1030mb pressure, or having a SE’erly airflow from off the near continent which drags in dry air, or from a northerly airstream in mid winter as we had in Jan. 

It’s much easier in continental locations as low cloud getting dragged in off a cold sea is much less of an issue. 

1 minute ago, SunnyG said:

Looks like we are getting a repeat of last year's weather but worse than last year's. What decent weather there will be, it's going to be in the west and we here in the east will get cold cloudy weather for the foreseeable. There are zero signs it's gonna change in May.

It’s not looking particularly good in the west either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All seasons veteran of the 1981 winter

Just to add I saw snow hail and sleet yesterday looking out of my conservatory window here in North Yorkshire. 

This is ridiculous  , yes I love snow and Frost but not in nearly May.

I'm seriously thinking of using a tanning salon to get much needed vitamin D.

It was warmer on Christmas day then it is now,,, I can understand some people seriously questioning climate change,  the weather is certainly not like it was for me growing up as a boy in the 1970's. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

sorepaw1 I don't follow that logic. You've acknowledged that our weather patterns are a world away from what you experienced growing up. Surely that would strengthen the evidence of the effects of climate change?

• Like 3

Posted

sorepaw1 Climate is definitely changing. I think people accept that, but some don't think the change is caused by humans.

image.thumb.png.be6dca06b042d66da673bc1a38f18add.png

Oh well, that's okay then...

Edited by SunnyG

Posted

danm Sure, the centre was, but pressure was still very high over most of the UK. We need to get rid of the cold upper air. The weekend's set up with 850s of say 5-10 would've been much sunnier nationwide.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Sure, the centre was, but pressure was still very high over most of the UK. We need to get rid of the cold upper air. The weekend's set up with 850s of say 5-10 would've been much sunnier nationwide.

Yeh i don't think upper air temps had anything to do with the cloud, that was more to do with the positioning of the high. 

Posted
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)
  • Location: Llanwnnen, Lampeter, Ceredigion, 126m asl (exotic holidays in Rugby/ Coventry)

CryoraptorA303 Perhaps, but bear in mind only bright sunshine is recorded hence 17 hours in June is the most attainable given a day of unbroken sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

TonyH That would also include recording sunshine the second the sun is above the horizon, which is not possible using the WMO threshold. You usually lose about 2 hours where the recorder will not detect anything.

Posted

danm We'll have to agree to disagree then, but it's a well known issue. Same in summer. High pressure but with cool upper air often sees infill problems. When the upper air warms up with pressure still high, you'll often get cloudless conditions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

I'm starting to suffer from MSS (Miserable Spring Syndrome), but I don't know what to call it: 1975, 1983,1996 or 2013! 😁

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, MP-R said:

We'll have to agree to disagree then, but it's a well known issue. Same in summer. High pressure but with cool upper air often sees infill problems. When the upper air warms up with pressure still high, you'll often get cloudless conditions.

The reason i'm arguing against that is we can get brilliant sunshine under a high in mid winter with cold upper air. 

Posted
22 minutes ago, danm said:

Adding to this, our issue is also being surrounded on water on all sides. The only way to get crystal clear blue skies in this county is if a high is slap bang over us with 1025-1030mb pressure, or having a SE’erly airflow from off the near continent which drags in dry air, or from a northerly airstream in mid winter as we had in Jan

Yeah. Tbf, Completely crystal clear skies aren't a necessity. To me, I consider a "clear day" to be simply one that has predominantly sunny weather, and not predominantly cloudy. For example the Saturday two weekends ago that got to 20c. There was some cloud here and there but I'd consider it overall a sunny/clear day. 

• Like 3

Posted

SunnyG

22 minutes ago, SunnyG said:

image.thumb.png.be6dca06b042d66da673bc1a38f18add.png

Oh well, that's okay then...

"I've lost one leg, but it's a far cry from Bob down the road who has *no* legs!"

Comparing turds.

• Like 1