Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Spring 2024

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

B87

I'd keep March 12.

I'd swap for April 07 (it felt a much more impressive month though I'm not sure if that's bourne out by maxima and sunshine).

I'd keep March 20.

I'd swap for June 18 or 06 (the final third of last June was horrifically humid).

I'd swap for July 13. June 18 became humid in the second half. 

I'd keep August 22. 

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

1st half March 1995, 2nd half March 2012.  1st half April 2020, 2nd half April 2011, 1st half May 2009, 2nd half May 1992 or 2018 would do just great

• Like 1

Posted

March 2006 first week then the rest of March 2022 would be perfect (Sadly wont end up like that due to the forecast in the next week, but hoping to still have the 2022 counterpart). That combination would be even better than March 2012

As for April, I would love the first 17 days of April 2020 followed by the rest of April 1995 (Early-Summer warmth to Late-Season snow)

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
On 21/02/2024 at 16:34, reef said:

Its often easy to forget Spring is quite a cold season. The average maximum doesn't hit 15C in most places outside of the south-east until mid-May.

True, although I find Spring often feels warmer than autumn due to the stronger sun, more sunshine hours and also because of acclimatisation - the same temp tends to feel warmer in spring as we’ve just come out of winter.

Also, maximums in Spring arent that much different than maximums in autumn here.

Average maximums here:

March: 9°

April: 12°

May: 15°

September: 17°

October: 13°

November: 9°

Spring nights are a few degrees colder though. Also, March and April are warming up faster than any other month, over a degree since 61-90, whereas October has barely changed.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Interesting those lingering shallow lows around the UK are very ‘La Nina summer’ like. Saw such in 2007.

If we can get that pattern into spring then we could see some decent diurnally driven convection.

Edited by Cheshire Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

East Lancs Rain compared to average maxima for here:

March: 12°C

April: 15°C

May: 18°C

September: 20°C

October: 16°C

November: 11°C

Spring is sunnier and drier, but cooler than autumn. September tends to have the fewest rainy days of any month.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Just take whatever is offered.

Cheshire Freeze think the nearest matches to this year though are 1964,  1973, 1988, 1995, 1998, 2003, 2016, and 2019.   

Edited by Addicks Fan 1981
To add in more years.

Posted

Addicks Fan 1981 I feel like this year is turning out like 2017 so far. A long dry and cold spell in January with hardly any snow whatsoever, and a mild, dull and wet February with a couple spring-like days

Posted

John S2 on about the niño to niña conversion.  1988 is actually a pretty near year to this year so far as is 1995.    We have to take into account the PDO as well like with what @summer blizzardhas highlighted.   

Posted

Methuselah the difference between them was the QBO, in 1988 the QBO was clearly easterly whereas the QBO in summer 1995 was westerly.    

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, thunderstorms, warmth, sun any time!

Just found this, can only dream for something similar now, but perhaps late April onwards and into May possibly🤞Perfect temperatures as well!

image.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

The 4 months of hell are over ! Always descend in to gloom when November to February arrive. Typical then March 1st feels more like winter than spring. I have had the cough hell for 3 and a half weeks and hoping a bit of warmer weather will help shift it. Looks like waiting a bit longer. But hey bye bye winter. Hello spring !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

CharlieBear9 To be fair it wasn't a bad winter in terms of what I dread which is severe cold. A couple of cold spells in December and Jan but nothing too bad. Mainly wet and mildish really. Just glad the mornings and evenings are drawing out now. All the best.

• Like 1

Posted

HAPPY FIRST DAY OF SPRING EVERYONE!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

NEVES SCREAMER Not felt this winter at all, the 12 inches of snow on 2 Dec was great, but other than that, and the cold mini spell 15-19 Jan, it is one I will forget instantly in sadly a long run if just wet dull and very mild winters. 

Wanting sunshine now, its felt especially dull since October. Roll on spring.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1